An even dozen of spoilers for True Blood season 3

ALERT – MORE SPOILERS BELOW!

S2promo2_049

Spoilers are allowed in the comments on this article.

Recently, SciFiWire talked to True Blood’s executive producer Alan Ball and writers Raelle Tucker and Alexander Woo, before they participated in the panel discussion last week at the Paley Center for Media in Los Angeles, CA.  They probably told  more than they should have about what’s going to happen in True Blood Season 3, but if you can’t wait, read below:

BILL WON’T BE BACK FOR AWHILE
Ball confirmed that the arc of Bill’s kidnapping will last “about six episodes.” That sounds like just enough time to put Sookie (Anna Paquin) through the wringer, but not enough to try viewers’ patience. Plus, we’ll probably still get to see Bill deal with his captors in episodes 1-5.

MEET THE MERLOTTE’S
Shape-shifter Sam (Sam Trammell) will find his family this year, and Tucker gets to write their characters a lot in episode two. “I’m getting to write Sam’s family, which is a lot of fun, and, really, I feel really satisfying as a character arc,” she said. “I really am glad that he’s taking this journey and he’s learning about himself. I find that interesting. They aren’t the brightest people, maybe. At least they appear that way. They’re fairly dysfunctional, but like anybody else, they have their good things about them and not-so-good things. They’re still getting to know each other. Sam’s still getting to know them, and so are we.”

WEREWOLVES SINK THEIR TEETH INTO LOUISIANA
Werewolves are coming to True Blood, and Ball offered a preview of what his wolf-people will look like. “They’re just wolves,” Ball said. “It’s just people who can turn into wolves, but they’re slightly bigger and much stronger. Their eyes glow orange a little bit.”

THERE’S EVEN MORE SUPERNATURAL STUFF
It’s not just vampires and werewolves. Woo is most excited about the expanding world of season three. “The entire world is going to get a lot bigger,” Woo said. “Not only the human world, but in Sookie’s eyes, she’s going to see the whole supernatural world. Luckily, since this show is through Sookie’s eyes, as an audience we’ll get to see a much larger supernatural world.”

SOOKIE WILL EXPLORE HER OWN POWERS
Sookie’s powers have gone from simple telepathy to some kind of hand-glowing power. Tucker confirmed that Sookie’s powers continue to expand in season three. “I think that Sookie is conscious of her abilities more this season than she’s been, and she’s questioning them more,” Tucker said. “We’re going to be exploring that more this season.”

MEET THE VAMPIRE KING
Ball said the Vampire King of Mississippi is coming in season three. He provides a contrast to Sophie-Anne, the Vampire Queen of Louisiana (Evan Rachel Wood). “He’s older,” Ball said. “He’s much more mature. He’s much more methodical and grounded. She’s kind of crazy. To me, she’s kind of like Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan, where she has a very short attention span and she’s very, very egomaniacal and very self-obsessed and doesn’t really think about her actions, whereas the Vampire King is very much an adult. He has an agenda. He has things he wants to achieve. I think he’s much more formidable than she is.”

JASON WILL STAY OUT OF TROUBLE
In two seasons, Sookie’s brother, Jason (Ryan Kwanten), has been accused of murder and got caught up in a cult. Season three will find him keeping a low profile. “I think Jason’s path this season is actually about not getting into trouble,” Tucker said. “It’s about trying to stay out of trouble. I think it’s going well for him.”

SOPHIE ANN MIGHT GET INTO TROUBLE
Wood is signed to return for more episodes in season three. Since her recreational activities include orchestrating the sale of vampire blood, things could go very badly for her. “Well, Sophie Anne, when last we left her, she was sort of behind this selling of V as a recreational drug on the streets, pretty much,” Ball said. “That’s not something a vampire authority figure should be doing. If higher-up vampire authority figures figure that out, they’re not going to be happy.”

THERE’S A NEW BIKER GANG IN TOWN
Season three will introduce a biker gang called Coot’s F–k You Crew. Tucker said the new characters are still evolving and won’t be what you expect. “The one thing I will say is that they are very mysterious,” Tucker said. “They’re a group who’s been around a lot longer than you think. I don’t want to say too much about them right now, because I think that we are in the early stages of figuring that out.”

A NEW CHARACTER CALLED TOMMY MICKENS BRINGS THE HURT
Woo is writing the new character of Tommy Mickens, who will make a huge impact on our favorite characters. “Tommy Mickens is someone I don’t want to reveal too much about, because I don’t want to ruin the surprise,” Woo said. “He’s a completely new character, but he plays very prominently in the emotional life of at first one and then, later, several other of our characters. He’ll be the first domino to push the rest.”

HEADGEAR PLAYS A MAJOR ROLL
Helmets have become a joke in the writer’s room. Tucker explained how the writers became aware they were relying too much on protective headgear. “There’ve been several moments that we’ve been pitching things and thought, ‘Oh, well, maybe she could be wearing a helmet, and that would protect her. Maybe he could wear a helmet in that scene,'” Tucker recalled. “Suddenly we realized we had a whole bunch of characters wearing helmets for no particular reason. So we thought, oh, that’s the theme of the season.”

SORRY LADIES , ERIC IS STILL A TEASE
Fans keep demanding more screen time for Eric (Alexander Skarsgard), but the writers won’t indulge them. “You know, what’s funny is that he’s in the first two books; he’s a fairly minor character in Sookie’s universe,” Tucker said. “There’s a lot of fan pressure that they’re supposed to be this big romantic thing, which actually in Charlaine [Harris]’s books doesn’t happen until much, much further down. I think if we did that, we’d probably bore them all to death. I think part of the magic of Eric is some of the mystery of Eric and the inaccessibility of Eric. I think you don’t want to turn them into the nice romantic love interest who’s in every scene. I think his danger is important, so not just throwing him up whenever somebody wants to see his bare chest is actually a more disciplined approach.”

November 03, 2009

What the hell, Stephen/Bill won’t be in the first 5 episodes? WTF?
    That just ruin my night.

November 03, 2009

Tiger, they didn’t say that he wouldn’t be in the first five episodes. They said he would be still captive. I’m hoping we will see him a lot, while captive.

November 03, 2009

No, he’ll be there. I think they’re saying that it will take up to six episodes to resolve his kidnapping storyline. We’ll see him, but Sookie won’t.

November 04, 2009

It stinks but in the 3rd book Bill is harldy in it. He there in the beginning and the end but that’s rwally it. All throughout the book we are looking for him.

November 04, 2009

That’s what they mean, he is in captivity for the first 6 episodes with probably alot of screen time! it will be good, no worries.

November 03, 2009

Well, i hope so, i will die with no Bill *sigh

November 03, 2009

AB, what the heck are you thinking friend? No Bill and Sookie for 6 episodes! Bill being possibly tortured for 6 episodes? I won’t be able to bare it. Those sexy blue eyes withering in pain and wondering what is happening to Sooks. Silver burning that taut body for 6 episodes? Oh my God, I need a drink.

November 03, 2009

Six episodes leading up to Bill’s rescue was expected but I’m sure we will see Bill during his captivity.

IF THERE ARE TB WRITERS READING THIS:

Regarding the headgear: bikers do not wear helmets in Louisiana. They are not required, and it’s too hot to wear stuff like that here.

* Huge sigh of relief* You know i need my Bil/Stephen fix

November 03, 2009

Hopefully Bill will not be tied up all (6) episodes ‘a la Restraint’, maybe he will be a captive, not a bound and gaged captive.

So many new characters, will there be air time left for our old favorites; Pam, Hoyt & Jessica, Arlene & Terry, Lafayette ……. and no mention of Alcide? Is he going to be a big surprise or is he forgotten? (8) more months! Too long!

Thank you Vault Ladies, Shadaliza and Lynn, for keeping us up to date.

November 03, 2009

I believe I read somewhere that Alcide will show up in Episode 3. I don’t know about all of you, but I’m hard pressed to remember where I heard what.

November 04, 2009

I think so Rowena…AB mentioned it in one of his many interviews as of late.

November 03, 2009

Thou shalt not read the spoilers. First try.
    Thou shalt not read the spoilers. Second try.
    Thou shalt not read the spoilers. Forget it.

Help, I need therapy. Is there any Truebie Anonymous outside? ;-)

November 03, 2009

When I saw Bill’s fangs *FOTF* and the ALERT – MORE SPOILERS BELOW! notice, I thought can I wait (8) months? NO and I caved instantly!
      I don’t even think a 12 step program can help any of us.

*Fan of the Fang*

I love this article!!

November 03, 2009

Thanks, Lynn, for the post. I’m thinking here it is early November and we already know a ton about Season 3. Part of me is glad, and the other part relishes the element of surprise.

About Bill … as long as he has plenty of screen time during the kidnap episodes I am a happy camper. I will hate seeing him tortured, but if it affords Stephen some great acting opportunities, I will deal.

I can see S-A meeting the sun or the stake because of the V-selling she’s authorized. We’ve been told the magister is returning, so … is it her death we’ll see occurring? I had my money on Lorena. Maybe both vamps will bite the big one.

Speaking of S-A … she is egotistical and immature and slightly crazy. How in the earth did she ever get to be queen, when there are far better and older candidates for the job. Eric comes to mind, as does Godric when he was alive. We know Godric didn’t want an important position, but it’s a shame he couldn’t have been persuaded to take over LA. Of course, if he had, the story would have been quite different, so there you go.

I guess the most surprising bit of news for me is the impact Tommy Mickens (Sam’s relative, I believe) will have on multiple characters.

November 04, 2009

I agree with alot of what you said. I think it’s to Stephen’s advantage that Bill is marginalized in the books. This gives AB, and his team, alot of artistic freedom, with Bill, and I think they like having that. Just take a look at seasons 1 and 2. They, actually, spent more time on the minor characters than they did the major players, from the books. They can’t do that with Eric, because he is in the books ALOT after book 3 and is a central character. They can’t take too many liberties with him. But, they can have fun with Bill and take lots of liberties.

I’m liking the new story lines that AB is adding, alot. I liked the V story in season one and I see how it is going to tie into season 3 and, possibly, Bill’s kidnapping. I think it’s going to come into play in season’s to come, as well. At first I didn’t like the Maryanne story. But looking back, I do now, and I like how it all tied together at the end.

SA- I wondered about that as well. I think that you advance in the Vampire world according to how RUTHLESS you are and not age or physical strength.

The book lovers had better get ready. It looks like AB is going to stick to the spirit of the books. But he is taking it in another direction and making it his own and I like that. So we don’t know what’s going to happen at all.

November 03, 2009

I agree with Rowena, about where things might be going, but you know, I am almost afraid for the new season. If I don’t see Bill much in the first 5-6 episodes it will make me very sad. I loved the romance of the first season. I wish there was a way to bring it back and stay more with the vampire universe instead of going off half cocked with a “helmet” story line because the writers think it is funny. Is that what happened in the first season with the V and in the second season with Maryann? The vampire stories are what draw me. I’d be a happy camper if I could edit the 1st season and leave out the V storyline. I’d like to edit out all of the Maryann crap of the 2nd season but I am afraid that I would end up with only about 3 hours worth of show. Loved the Bill stuff, Sookie stuff, Eric, the little bit of Pam and Laffy, hey, I think it would have been cool to turn him. Lafitte would have made a bad a__ vampire.

November 03, 2009

I sure hope they don’t sideline Bill for 5 episodes. Will be devastating.

November 03, 2009

Well, even though I understand notdeveloping Eric’s character so fast into a love interest (ie as in the books) I’m still disappointed. I guess we didn’t realize we would get so hooked on to Alexander’s perfect portrayal of this vamp with such charisma. **sighs** ;)

November 04, 2009

Hell, I interpreted the Eric comment as he’s going to be marginalized AGAIN this season, when he should be playing a bigger part, but Bill will continue to be in every episode. Then they’re adding a boatload of extraneous characters to take screen time away from the important arc of the season. I swear if they kidnap the story like they did with Maryann, I will be napping every Sunday at 9 p.m.

November 04, 2009

Eric wasn’t in the first three books alot. But he is in the series ALOT after book 3. So, I believe that you will be seeing lots of him in the future. Like I said in a previous post. Bill is relegated to a minor role after book 3 and there are 9 books total. So, I think they just have more freedom to do what they want with Bill and the other minor characters. But, I think there’s some good stuff coming with Eric. They won’t marginalize Eric, they can’t. You may want it to be the Eric show and I may want it to be the Bill show. But, ultimately, that won’t be what’s best for the show as a whole. Although, I do sympathise with you. I may not be seeing Bill, in every episode, next season and I may have to check into a 12 step program for Billaholics, as a result.

November 04, 2009

I think AB will balance it out nicely. All characters will get their due time but Bill and Sookie are the central storyline, I’m happy he changed that up, you have to have a central couple with the potential triangle, keeps it interesting…..
        It was so different straight from the getgo I still don’t understand why folks don’t get it….they are two different things….I can tell you if AB followed it straight out of the books I wouldn’t be watching, it would be boring….I found alot of the scenes with Eric and Sookie boring and I found alot of the vampire politics boring etc…..I’m glad he has developed and changed up the characters and their storyline.

November 04, 2009

i agree with you. I think AB will balance it out as well. I love the changes they have made in the tv series. I love TB so much better than the books. I wouldn’t watching the series either, if they went strictly by the books. The books bored me to tears.

November 04, 2009

Thanks for posting, looks like the next season is going to be a very interesting one. I actually look forward to seeing Bill in captivity as I think it will be a great opportunity for SM to really utilize his skills as an actor and develop his character further. I am also looking forward to seeing how Sookie’s journey of self discovery goes, as well as Sam’s. I have a feeling that the upcoming season is one that will have the potential to win the show and the cast some major awards.

November 04, 2009

I agree with you, it will be a great opportunity for SM to show another side of Bill and use his acting skill even more. Also it will gave the same opportunity to AP to do the same. I like seeing her alone in he series cause she seem more independent and more able to look out for herself.

I am wondering though what will happen in the last six episodes if Bill is freed in the middle of the season, like these spoilers seems to suggest. The only thing I can see is SA’s V trade being under the radar and maybe a trial. I know in the book SA is eventually (much much later on) on trial for a very different reason,so I am starting to wonder if AB won’t change that part all together.

November 04, 2009

I think we are only getting spoilers for the first half of the season….I bet they change quite a bit….like the writers have said, not everything works right away and after its read a few times….they are constantly changing it up!

November 04, 2009

Well here’s another poster that agrees with you.

November 04, 2009

Great article! I’m going to miss our Bill if he’s not showing a lot in the first 4 – 6 eps. But I’m sure we won’t be disappointed with Season 3. I look forward to it every day…. actually I’m going out of my frick’n mind! ;-)

November 04, 2009

Would you like to join me in the 12 step program for Billaholics?

November 04, 2009

Absolutely! I cannot tell you what “withdraw” I am having! :-)

My daughter may have a chance to move to London for her job…. now you know I’m going to visit and go hang around that pond that Steve Moyer likes to take a dip in…… teee heeee! LOL

Sign me up for the 12 step program for Billaholics…. I’m such an adict! :-)

November 04, 2009

I agree with you Marilyn – there is some great acting to be had in S3! Bill will have his own story to tell (he has to be utilised more than he has had in S2, especially as he is the lead male!) and Eric is to have his own storyline. It does not have to be an Eric/Sookie storyline, I mean, Eric can have any storyline and make it his own! Trust AB to give us a rollicking good Season 3!

November 04, 2009

You are a very wise woman! :-) And I agree! We’ll just not be able to live without Bill…. and Eric, well Eric is a story all on his own… and what a beautiful story it is. Don’t you ever wonder how they got so many beautiful people in one show… and they all seem so darn nice and down to earth! Life is good… but I’m ready for Season 3 (crap, I haven’t even received my Season 2 DVD’s yet…. crying with my head in my hands. LOL

November 04, 2009

I agree! AB has the talent of spotting talent! Everyone is so well cast and yes, eye candy to boot! Not only that, judging by interviews, they are all so unassuming and grateful to be on a great show plus they all seem like very nice people. We are very lucky to be True Blood!

November 04, 2009

I am looking forwards to season 3. All those spoilers just add up to my thirst of True Blood.

November 04, 2009

I actually love how they describe Eric here, it’s like he’s their ace up their sleeve for future seasons and I’m happy to be teased with Eric in Season three because I know they’re gonna be doing the book 4 plot.

I wouldn’t worry Bill fans, I think AB will give Stephen plenty to get his teeth into for his arc.

November 04, 2009

How do we know they are going to do the book 4 plot? I have been over and over the transcript from Paley and AB never mentions Eric having amnesia, even though people say he did. Am I missing something??

November 04, 2009

It has been said recently that AB will follow the amnesia for season four.

November 04, 2009

I heard him say on the audio recording from the Paley event and several websites have it quoted so it’s definately happening, I’m not surprised though, not only is Eric’s amensia a big book 4 plot it changes Eric’s character for the rest of the books.

November 04, 2009

I think they will have to do it somewhat differently from the books…AB likes Eric as the villian so it could be something else completely…..but it will be fun for Alex to play that role for sure! I felt that whole thing was soo contrived int eh books so hopefully AB can put a nice spin on it.

November 04, 2009

I’ve even listened to the audio and I still don’t hear it. Oh well. I thought it was rather contrived in the books as well, so I hope AB puts his own spin on it as he has on everything else.

November 05, 2009

Oh I have no doubt he’ll put his own spin on it and I’m confident he’ll do that book justice, afterall he has said one of his fav parts of last season was the growing attraction between Eric and Sookie. About Eric being the villian I think that may change when we see just how bad Franklin Mott is, going by what AB has said about him “He’s more dangerous than any of those other [vampires]. She’s definitely playing with something that’s a lot more deadly.”
        I get the feeling Eric is gonna look alot better after seeing him.

November 06, 2009

Exactly, AmnesiaEric is a major event in the books that not only alters his character ,but Sookie’s view of him. IT’s like Gran’s death, it HAD to happen for everything else to unroll the way it did. I like that they’re keeping Eric as a bad*ss cuz its important to see the contrast between RealEric and AmnesiaEric for the audience.

Book 3 is the only book CH has done with only one plotline all the other books had multiple stories going on in them. So I if Bill gets rescued by eppy 6 I wonder what they’re going to do nxt ? And I wonder how they’re going to set up ERic being cursed? Will they stick to the witches and maybe show what happens right up to Eric being cursed? That would be cool.

November 04, 2009

AB did mention doing the Eric mind-wipe in season 4 in one of the interviews. However, I am sure AB will have plenty of surprises for us in season 3.Using the books as an outline gives him still the freedom to expand and do with the characters as he wishes. And I have to admit, I love all he and his writers have done. This show rules!

November 04, 2009

Ok…no one has mentioned Alcide, Sookie going all Buffy, the rescue of Bill or the trunk scene ..that did happen about episode 5 or 6- Club Dead, the stake?? Alcide’s apartment…Tara and Sookie’s dance?? There is a lot to cram in to Season 3.

November 04, 2009

Some of those things will probably never find their way into the show, Sammy. Just like we never met Luna from LDID in Season 2, or had Eric accompany Sookie to any orgy wearing pink lycra. AB uses the books as a framework…not a script.

November 06, 2009

But that just ruins it, they should keep in tone with the book, if their is no Alcide no stake no trunk seen then it will be completely different.
        Because Alcide gets sookie into the bar(club dead), she gets staked saving a vamp from TFOTS(the fellowship of the sun), she gets into the house were Bill is held(being tortured and what not), But she knows Bill has been a traitor to her for bitch Lorena, left sookie for his maker backfired AHAH(was going to run of with Lorena, but Lorena did threaten Sookies life but then again that is only what Bill said). So Eric and her get a little better acquainted, and bubba comes in and stops it.. Wait bubba isn’t in it because he’s Elvis figures..
        So like -cries- the t.v show is nothing compared to the books.
        -__-

November 06, 2009

I think Alan has confirmed there will be an Alcide and a Debbie Pelt. I will be surprised if there is a rape scene, since Alan sees Bill as the hero of the show. IF there IS indeed a ‘trunk’ scene, I am betting it will be shown in such a way that it’s clear that Bill was starved and had no idea what he was doing and that the true fault lies with Debbie Pelt. (Which is who Sookie always blamed in the books, too.)

Bill was not a traitor. CH confirmed a long time ago that Bill had no choice but to do what Lorena said because she was his Maker. If she told him to have sex with her, he would have been physically unable to resist. He had to do it, but he didn’t have to like it. Lorena could not control his emotions (i.e. make him love her) only his actions. He was only able to keep Sookie’s name from Lorena through sheer force of will because he loved her.

November 04, 2009

I can’t wait. First for the DITF book, by CH, and for TB Season 3 – what a spring/summer it will be! I so excited to see how SM is going to
    act out captive Bill – please AB keep Bill/SM’s body perfect as it is – not too battle scarred.

I’m so enjoyed the book deviation ( and I love the books), character development and other arcs that Alan Ball has presented to us. Yes, Maryanne got drawn out, but there is no series that is 100% to the liking of all.

As long as I see all my favorite characters: Bill, Sookie, Eric, Lafayette, Pam, Sam, Jason, Andy, Hoyt, Jessica and Tara (plus a few more)- I’m happy!! They are what make True Blood amazing!!! AB and his crew rock!

November 04, 2009

There is also fan pressure to keep Bill as a prominant figure in the story and to give us more Bill and Sookie time.

November 04, 2009

Well really if you look back at season 2 and the later part of season 1 Bill had very few scenes, mostly because he is a vampire I suppose and alot took place during the day. I have a feeling season 3 will be good for Stephen and Alex to show their acting chops off….it will be good…I do think Anna (sookie) will be working her butt off this coming season…she has alot she is going to deal with…Bill, her powers and finding herself…..lets just hope its not too crammed. I see season 3 of TB really getting the recognition it deserves.

November 06, 2009

What about Alcied Hervuex not sure on the spelling but they didn’t say he was going to be in it, and he is a pretty main character in the third book as i’ve read them all, if he isn’t in it then the whole series 3 will be shit.

November 09, 2009

SO TRUE! Alcide is the catalist for so many plot twists without Alcide there is no Quinn, No Debbie Pelt, No packmaster competition. no kidnapping by Sandra Pelt, how will they do the witch war in season 4 if they are continuing with the Eric’s amnesia. incidently i heard no mention of the king of mississippi being gay or having a house full of men or lorena in the show either.it is bad enough without Bubba( although i wouldnt want to see some weak ass Elvis impersonator every Sunday so i see why they don’t include him in the show) but without Alcide…. big mistake.