Anna Paquin – Nylon Magazine September 2009

Anna Paquin takes the September 2009 cover of Nylon Magazine.

anna-paquin-nylon-magazine-september-2009

TO DIE FOR

Up all night with Anna Paquin and her alter ego, True Blood’s Sookie Stackhouse.

Anna Paquin has an Oscar, a cool accent, and maybe the best role on television – bombshell mind reader Sookie Stackhouse on True Blood.  We sat down with her, Stephen Moyer (aka Vampire Bill) and their Maker, HBO producing legend Alan Ball, to discuss their bloody TV phenomenon.

Anna Paquin, on her Nude Scenes:
“I don’t think a naked body is particularly shocking or interesting… It’s not the culture I was raised in.  I was not brought up in the United States.  I don’t share the [attitude] that you can have graphic violence, but – God forbid – you see someone’s nipples.”

On Going Blonde for Sookie:
“I don’t look like a Barbie doll, and probably never will.  People are incredibly literal in how they view you.  You have dark hair and pale skin?  You must be brooding.  The second you dye your hair blonde and get a spray tan, people treat you as if you’re a bit stupider and happier.  Suddenly, it’s like you’re hot and sexy.”

On TV Acting:
“It never occurred to me that one form of acting was better than another.  I think if you approach your career like that you’re limiting yourself to a very boring path.  For me, it’s about the material.”

Epilogue:  Stephen Moyer, on Vampire Sex:
“The thing about vampirism is that it taps into a female point of view – you have an old-fashioned gentleman with manners who is a fucking killer… it’s an interesting duality, because in our present society it would be an odd thing for a woman to say, ‘I want my man to be physical with me.’ How, as a modern man, can you fucking work that?  It’s one thing to be polite and gentle… But when do you know it’s OK to crawl out of the mud and rape her [as Bill does in one scene]?… It’s difficult stuff for a bloke, but a vampire gets away with it…. I think that’s the attraction of the show – it’s looking back at a romantic time when men were men, but they were still charming.”

3479_i5_anna5

source

Tagged

August 24, 2009

“But when do you know it’s OK to crawl out of the mud and rape her [as Bill does in one scene]?”

I think this is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. I never realized he was raping her, it looked consenual to me, lol.

August 24, 2009

I wish he hadn’t said that, I don’t like the idea. It was very consensual–remember how she held his face for a split second when she realized it was him, and then….well come on, if that wasn’t consensual, nothing is.

August 25, 2009

I agree. In fact, she initiates the lovin’ with a kiss.

August 24, 2009

Oh, dear. Did you have to use THAT word for it? I liked that scene, now I feel ashamed.

August 24, 2009

I think he just meant he was very dominating in that scene and rough with her…he just picked the wrong word.

August 24, 2009

Oh I agree, he likes to be provacative. I’m not really ashamed. And he might be the only person I’d like to hear say “F*%king” because he’s saying it in that accent.

August 24, 2009

i’m so happy anna got the cover story. finally a major publication (i know she got the hamptons mag cover but they have very small distribution) recognized she deserves a cover as the star of true blood. nylon is hip and fun too. beautiful styling and photography. she looks like a doll.

August 24, 2009

Oh, Stephen…..I love you, but that wasn’t rape. She was very much willing, lol

Love those pics of Anna. Awesome

August 24, 2009

Anna looks great. Beautiful pics. I think both Anna and Sookie would confirm that was consensual and even memorable. Unfortunate choice of words.

August 24, 2009

I must agree about the word choice. As I recall Sookie grabbed him first … and then it was off to the races. She wanted him big time.

Congrats to Anna on getting the cover.

August 24, 2009

I love the fact that he chooses his words badly. I can SO relate. Open mouth, insert foot.

August 25, 2009

I’ve noticed in other interviews his comment about the appeal of the show being the combination of old-fashioned or courtly matters with lethal power, but really, it’s just Bill that would apply to. It wouldn’t apply to anybody in Bon Temps, and it wouldn’t apply to Eric, for sure. But for me Bill IS the main appeal of the show, so why do I quibble? I hope to see the whole interview.

August 25, 2009

This wasn’t the whole thing??

August 25, 2009

that is definitely only regarding bill. i wouldn’t describe eric as having courtly manners.

August 25, 2009

Bill RAVISHED her; BIG difference.

Rape is about control, not sex, and the graveyard scene was definitely desperate, hot, passionate sex. She maintained partial control of the situation, telling him where not to bite her. She was a very willing participant.

August 25, 2009

i’m just wondering where was stephen’s publicist before this was published. i know what he is trying to say but that statement is wide open for misinterpretation. “ravish” woul have been better. i do appreciate his use of the “f” word heehee. love you stephen.

August 25, 2009

cocoablossoms, yes, ‘ravish’ is what I would have said not rape but I don’t think he means it literally, I think he’s trying to convey the duality of a man with manners but a killer in the sack.
      Isn’t that what we love about Bill?

August 25, 2009

oh i am 100% sure he didn’t mean to use it literally. semantics is hard to navigate, especially with interviews. i am confident he sees it how we do but just used the wrong wording…. and yes that’s what we love about bill. he is all manners but he is also extremely passionate and will show it. ok i need to be alone now.

August 25, 2009

Graveyardsex hummm? I think it was better than the r..pe in the book. The scene and the music are so good and I feel … everytime I watch or think of it.

August 25, 2009

She looks gorgeous in the photoshoot. Is this the whole interview? I don’t see any excerpts from Alan in the interview since they do mentioned that they interviewed the three of them together.

August 25, 2009

When you do one interview after the other for several hours, like actors often have to do, sometimes you don’t really know anymore what you are saying. I think this was the case with Stephen when he used the word “rape”.