Carrie Preston talks True Blood at Macon Film Festival

Carrie Preston (Arlene on True Blood) was present at the fourth annual Macon Film & Video Festival that took place in historic downtown Macon, GA from 18-21 February.
The filming of the second season of True Blood has kept her very busy, but she managed to find the time to fly out to Macon just for the day to present her production company, Daisy 3 Productions, latest endeavor, “Ready? OK!

Our special reporter, Billsbabe ABNegative drove out to Macon to meet Carrie:

“This past Saturday evening I found myself in Macon attending the wonderful and quite enjoyable fourth annual Macon Film Festival (MAGA).
This year was my first foray into the world of film festivals. All I can say is “why did it take me so long?” I had a marvelous time! The festival’s organizer and planner, Terrell Sandefur, did an amazing job. From acquiring great films to be viewed, to being a warm, friendly and gracious host not only to me, but to everyone there, he did Macon proud. Every review I have read about the weekend deemed it a huge success. Thank you Terrell!

The Cox Capitol Theatre is a grand looking old place. It has been lovingly restored to it’s former glory of the days when cowboys, war heroes and Tom & Jerry lit our imaginations and became the only place to be on a Saturday afternoon. It is a lovely place to spend a quiet evening having dinner and a movie.

It was here Saturday night that Macon’s own hometown girl, Carrie Preston, came to show her family and friends a movie that she, along with husband Michael Emerson, and good friend James Vasquez, under the name of Daisy 3 Productions, had made. Carrie and James, along with many family and close friends, arrived in the theatre just prior to the start of the movie. Everyone there was so excited and pleased to see her. After having the pleasure of meeting and talking with her, I can see why. She is so very gracious and sweet, without a single trace of pretentions or ego anywhere near her. She welcomed me warmly and after thanking me for coming, we had a wonderful conversation. She graciously answered questions and before long I felt as though I were talking with someone I had know for years.”

Carrie Preston and ABNegative

Carrie Preston and ABNegative

ABNegative: “You are married to Michael Emerson who plays Ben Linus on Lost. Were you already a fan of Lost before Michael got the role of Ben?”

Carrie: “Yes, I was. Michael, of course, is in Hawaii filming and couldn’t come. Actually I played the mother of Michael’s character on the show in flashbacks that dealt with his background story somewhat, sort of a strange twist.”

ABNegative: “I understand that your husband plays a “bad” character.”

Carrie: “yes, he is a bad guy”.

ABNegative: “What did you think when you first read the script for True Blood? Were you captured immediately or did it have to grow on you?”

Carrie: “Oh, I liked it immediately. I knew it was something I wanted to work on but I didn’t really see me as Arlene. I mean in the books she’s this buxom waitress with all this red hair who looks nothing like me. In the book she really wasn’t much of a character.”

ABNegative: “So, you’ve read the books?”

Carrie: “Yes, I’ve read the books”.

ABNegative: “I am such a fan, I just love True Blood. So, I know your lips are sealed as far as the new season goes, but can you tell me if there will be a little something between Arlene and Terry? After all, we all know Terry just loves those clavicles.”

Carrie: “Yeah, he does like the clavicles. And my red hair.”

ABNegative: “That looks like a sunset after a bomb went off.”

Carrie: (laughing) “Yeah, a sunset after a bomb went off . Well, I can’t really give away too much, but what I can say is that Arlene is not the type of woman who can be alone for very long. So if that helps any…..”

ABNegative: “No, Arlene doesn’t strike me as the type who’ll stay single”. And I think everyone really likes Terry. And I must say that I knew from your accent on the show that you were a southern girl. I didn’t realize you were from Macon, but I knew that accent was for real.”

Carrie: “As you can tell, I don’t really talk like that now, but I can call it up when I need to.”

ABNegative: “Well, there are spoiler threads out there, so I’ve read the episode titles of the first four, maybe five episodes.”

Carrie: “Really, I didn’t realize….”

ABNegative: “Yeah, from some of the titles we can sort of figure out what’s going on. I think “Scratch My Back” must be about Sookie being attacked by the Maened and having her back all messed up.”

Carrie: ” Yes, the Maened. That sounds like it. And without giving away anything, I can say that season 2 really strays far away from the second book, hardly anything like it. It’s just so far out there with more characters and going in different directions. Not much like the book at all.”

ABNegative: “Wonderful! I am glad to hear that. I don’t think the fans could bear to see Bill and Sookie not be together. At least, that’s how I feel, and there are lots of fans who feel the same way.”

And ABNegative, being a true Billsbabe, couldn’t resist to ask Carrie about Stephen Moyer….

ABNegative: “I just have to ask you this. Is Stephen Moyer really as wonderful as he seems?”

Carrie: (smiling and giving a nod) “Yes, yes, he really is. Just such a nice person.”

ABNegative: “I know you have a lot of people who want to talk with you and I won’t keep you. But I want to say that I loved your movie (“Ready? OK!”). It’s a great, heartwarming movie that leaves you feeling good. It’s something I can show my grandchildren and not have to worry about language or inappropriate content. It’s such a pleasure to find a movie like that. And that young man (Lurie Poston) was so adorable.”

Carrie Preston and Lurie Poston star in ‘Ready? OK!’ a film about a boy who wants to be a cheerleader. (Photo courtesy of Daisy 3 Productions)

Carrie: “Well, thank you so much. That’s what we wanted to do, make a family movie with a message that could appeal to all ages. Something very family oriented that you could watch with your family.”

ABNegative: Well Carrie, I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate your taking time to talk with me. The interview will be posted on the trueblood-online.com website and lots of fans can read it. It’s quite a popular site, with amazing stories and links. There are three websites (trueblood-online.com, stephenmoyer.net, stephenmoyer.yuku.com) I am representing and those ladies do an amazing job. One of the ladies lives in Italy. Isn’t that something?”

Carrie: “Yes, the site Terrell (Festival organizer Terrell Sandefur) told me about. I can’t wait to check it out. It sounds great. I had no idea the fans were so far reaching. I didn’t realize. How did you meet her?”

ABNegative: First, I had posted on the HBO fan site and made friends with quite of few of Stephen’s fans. In case you haven’t figured it out, he’s quite popular with the ladies. (Carrie laughs and nods). I had looked at trueblood-online.com quite often before actually establishing a friendship with her (Shadaliza). Then 2 other sites (stephenmoyer.net, stephenmoyer.yuku.com) were created just for us, so we could talk to each other, as well as others, without any, well, monitoring.

Carrie: Well, thank you for coming. And I appreciate the shirt!

ABNegative: Oh, it was a great pleasure for me. Have fun with the filming and I just cannot wait until it starts.

Carrie Preston with the Billsbabes t-shirt: "Oh my God, you've got to be kidding! He's gonna love it!"

“If you have the opportunity to see “Ready? OK!” then take my advice and see it. It is a warm, funny, and at times emotional, movie that sends a clear message that it’s alright to just be who you are. We are all different in our own special way. Each parent wants what is best for their child, but sometimes the best is what makes that child unique and different. And the bond of family love is a bond that holds up through the tough times as well as the easy times. It’s also a wonderful family movie that can be shown anytime and anyplace to any age group. I understand that it will not be released in theatres, but it can be ordered from their Ready? OK! website or through Amazon in mid March.

At the conclusion of the movie, Carrie and James Vasquez graciously took questions from the audience. To anyone there who was interested in film making, their input was invaluable. It was above my head, I must admit, but I enjoyed the exchange between James and Carrie with the audience.

Carrie Preston on stage with Terrell Sandefur (l) and James Vasquez (r)

Carrie Preston on stage with Terrell Sandefur (l) and James Vasquez (r)

I got my chance to meet and talk with Carrie after the Q & A, where I presented her with the Billsbabes shirt. She was quite surprised and delighted with the shirt. After I explained just what a Billsbabe was, she was doubly delighted!
As I stated earlier, she is just so warm and friendly. I can truthfully say that Carrie Preston is a special person, one that I was delighted to have the opportunity to meet and talk with. I am looking forward to the new season of True Blood as well as other future movies she will appear in.

Don’t forget. See the movie.”

ABNegative

Carrie Preston and Terrell Sandefur

Relevant links and info

Ready? OK! Review and trailers

Ready? OK! Website

MAGA – Macon Film & Video Festival

Who are the Billsbabes?

Buy "Ready? OK!" Online

Buy "Ready? OK!" online

Special thanks to Terrell Sandefur for the photos.

“The Vault Exclusive”

February 25, 2009

OMG!!!!! What a wonderful story and interview by ABNegative! Carrie Preston seems like such a doll, and I nearly died seeing her hold a Billsbabes shirt. I didn’t know there were shirts!

Thanks to ABN for the lovely interview and to shad for posting it. Y’all rock.

February 25, 2009

Yahooo!!! This is so cool!! You did a wonderful job, AB. Got to ask her so many questions without seeming creepy! And you made our presence known to her. I’m glad that you had the opportunity to go to the film festival. We had a great representative. Thanks for all the effort you put into this.

February 25, 2009

A great big thank you to everyone involved in getting this interview, and especially to AB Negative for the great questions!

I have to wonder if Carrie Preston is trying to throw us off the track, but who knows? I know Alan Ball has said he likes to plant false info so we’ll be surprised. AB Negative, can you share your impression on this?

February 25, 2009

OMG! She seems so nice, not a bit like Arlene, LOL. I would love to see Arlene and Terry hookup in Season 2. But the best part was- “season 2 really strays far away from the second book, hardly anything like it. It’s just so far out there with more characters and going in different directions. Not much like the book at all.” LOL, yes AB, don’t follow the books, give us more Bill and Sookie…

Thanks ABNegative and Shad.

February 25, 2009

Oh first Shad thanks again I appreciate all the hard work you and Sma and Sterling do.
    AB oh my God!!! This is so great as a fellow Billsbabe I have to say thank you. You did a great job representing us, you make us proud. Carrie is as nice and sweet as I thought she was this is so great. I really hope she was telling the truth and TB goes in a different direction then the books because I want Bill to stay front and center in True Blood.

February 25, 2009

Thank you ABNeg for going out and getting this super interview! Many thanks for a job very well done.

February 25, 2009

AB, knew there was a reason we weren’t hearing from you all weekend. Now I know. Great interview, Carrie is a doll and you are a great representative of the BillsBabes. I love the shirt. Shad, Sterling and SMA thank you for all you do.

The Vault ROCKS! Well done Shad. ~
    =)That was a terrific interview. Thank you ABNEGATIVE. What a warm sweet conversation you and Carrie had. Clearly you southern gals hit it off!
    The photos were beautiful. We Billsbabes look forward to your next siting =)

Great interview. And I love the shirt, hehe

Season 2 is not like the 2nd book?? Score!

*Does a little happy dance*

LOL

February 25, 2009

AB….first a heart-wrenching author and now a first rate interviewer! That was great! I’m so excited about what she said regarding straying from book 2 and how nice Stephen really is. She seems like such a sweet lady and I’m so excited you got to speak with her. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

February 25, 2009

AB..What a great treat! Congratulations on getting such a wonderful interview. This is wonderful. I know it must have been a fun, exciting and crazy time over the weekend. Great interview. This is wonderful.

February 25, 2009

ABneg, thank you so much for such a wonderful interview with Carrie Preston. You did the Billsbabes proud! Carrie sounds like such a gracious, down to earth person. I loved that she was presented with a Billsbabes t-shirt. Thank you Shad for posting the interview and everyone that had a hand in arranging this. Now I really can’t wait for season 2!

February 25, 2009

AB, wonderfule job. LOVE that shirt!!! you do the BillsBabes proud!!!

February 25, 2009

Wow! Great Interview! How fun that must have been, and how nice to hear that Alan Balls going off on his own. Wonderful Job AB! And thanks Shad for bringing it to us.

February 25, 2009

Carrie Preston with the Billsbabes T-Shirt: ” Oh my God, you’ve got to be kidding! He’s gonna love it! ” (((That is a priceless response to what Steve will think of the shirt ! )))

ABN- thank you very much for taking time to do this interview for us. Altho, from what I’ve heard, you had a ball at the Film Festival. Glad you enjoyed yourself and Carrie is apparently a very nice sweet lady. Thank you to her for making time for us.

I cannot wait to see this film, Ready? OK! . I am going to order it thru Amazon. Your description of it makes it seem like a desirable film to see with kids and grandkids. Nice to see that there is a film out there that anyone age group can view without reservations or hestitation. I am so looking forward it. Thank you for the link to the stores that sell it as well !

I willl also look forward to seeing Carrie and Daisy 3 Productions future projects.

February 25, 2009

ABnegative….what an awesome interview GF. Thank you so much for all you do to keep us entertained and to get us these amazing scoops on our favorite TB characters.

Loved the Q&A – loved getting to know our dear Arlene / Carrie too!
    What a talented lady she is !!!

Keep this stuff coming SHAD…your site ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2009

Thanks so much AB. Great interview!

February 25, 2009

To all my sweet girlie girls who’ve said such nice, positive things about my big weekend: YOU are the reason I went. I knew what fun it would be and how much we would all enjoy hearing whatever we could about our obcession. I only wish I ‘d had more time for there were tons more questions I wanted to ask. Maybe another time.

And didn’t Shad do an amazing job with the layout? That gal’s got skills!

February 25, 2009

Great job AB….I’m so glad you were able to “represent” us. Thanks also to Shad as always for “The Vault”

February 25, 2009

ABneg – YOU ROCK. Shad – thanks for posting this… love the t-shirt we need a Billsbabe mini-store. I would have never recognized Carrie as Arlene, what a difference in real life. I hope we get a quote from Stephen on the shirt. Wait until season 2 starts…. the anticipation is killing me… thanks again for sharing this with us!!!

February 25, 2009

OH MY GOSH! I have been giggling like a little school girl reading this! This is so cool, AB- you represented beyond belief, and what an awesome thrill reading this interview with her. Ms. Preston sounds gracious, and I would love to watch her movie as well!! Spectacular AB, and thanks to Shad for posting and Sterling for sending the shirt and sending an awesome correspondent! Now I gotta go read all the comments….

February 25, 2009

What a lovely woman is Carrie. She appears to be very different from our beloved Arlene. ABNegative you showed her to be such a gentle and kind lady. “Brava” to our own Shadaliza for the incredable layout. A success all around! Wonder if she will wear the shirt on the set?? Would that not be great to see!!!!!

February 25, 2009

Thank you, AB, for the wonderful interview. Carrie Preston is a hard working actress and I’m glad she is getting some real recognition for her contribution on TB and the film community. I am definitely going to purchase the movie. I appreciate and am continually impressed by what this webring brings to the table. Thank you!!! AB-priceless shot with the T-shirt. It sounds like you had a good time too all around. Thank you, Shadaliza for posting this quickly and for the layout.

February 25, 2009

What a great interview ABNeg! Thank you so much and thank you Shad for posting it on your site. You girls are amazing… I think I had heard some of what ABNeg told Carrie but when you see it in print it hits home. You have made it easy and wonderful for all of us to stay in touch with each other and find out EVERYTHING that is going on with Stephen, Anna, Alexander, Carrie, Ryan, (you know what I’m trying to say…. everyone on TrueBlood)!

And, is it just me…. doesn’t it seem like each and every person who is interviewed that is associated with this amazing HBO series are kind and friendly… down to earth, sweet. If I wouldn’t be so darn old I’d take up acting just so I could hang out with them! LOL

Again, Shad, thank you so much! KUDOS!

P.S. Went to bed last night with visions of Anna & Stephen’s wedding…. teee heee LOL ;-)

February 25, 2009

Ok my first time posting here. Just read all of the above including the article, and ditto. I was there when you guys started SM site and you guys are truly gifted. I am pleasantly surporsed about the beautiful “BillsBabe T-Shirt”.. You guys are the best.

Speical shout out to AB(-), great job!

February 25, 2009

What a lovely interview! You ladies have turned this site into a news maker in an amazingly professional way. Thank you so much, all of you!

February 26, 2009

ToriG, wedding for you, huh?? I was more imagining there future kid/kids. I mean, how beautiful won’t that baby be?? LOL

February 26, 2009

AB… Great interview & great pictures! How lucky for you to have been there! I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have the SM websites! I am always excited to see what’s new and I am never disappointed! Thanks to you all!

February 26, 2009

AB…What a great and in-depth interview! I really enjoyed you conversation with Carrie and she was really gracious. The BillsBabes shirt was just incredible. (Where do I get one?) Every day I am more and more proud to be associated with all of you on these boards. AB – will you still remember us when your’e famous?

February 26, 2009

AB great interview GF she sounds so wonderful and i’m so glad she said season 2 is going far away from the books

February 26, 2009

AB, you did a terrific job. It is nice to be able to put a face along with the wonderful words that you write. Carrie Preston seems like a very nice person. I love the shirt. I can hardly wait for seanon 2.

February 26, 2009

First I want to congratulate smaddict, shadaliza, and sterlingsilver for putting all of us together from the ends of the earth. Most of us never would have dreamed we would be on a site like this, or that we would be drawn together by HBO for such an innovative, edgy series that attached us to every aspect of it. Billsbabes started out a fledgling group growing to a wonderful web ring bringing true blood to life off screen. It really came together after the series ended and it has grown into somnething we never thought possible.. ABNeg venturing out to bring us this wonderful interview of Carrie Preston was just an example of her dedication to bringing us wonderful surprises that bring us all even more closer and bonding us together as a group. Stephen Moyer might have started this all, but all the members of the cast are part of that group, and we can only hope that we have this recognised due to the the wonderful managment and dedication of the owners and commitment of every single one of us. Every one of us have this site as part of our daily lives and each person plays a special role iin bringing it to life. What a wonderful group who bring us toghether professionally and personally and for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. This interview coming from near my home town made it all the more special. and Carries graciousness in granting the interview shows that Alan Ball made the right choices in mnaking True Blood one of HBO’s best Sunday night series. My glass is up to all who make this site a treasue to be part of. We are the proud – The one and only Billsbabes!

February 26, 2009

Very good indepth interview with Carrie. She provided some yummy things to look forward to in Season 2!

February 28, 2009

Very good interview ABN! You made me feel very proud as a member of Billsbabe’s to have you do such a wonderful job of representing all of us. And thank you Shad for doing such a great layout of this interview on this site for us.

I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to hear that Alan Ball is once again doing his own thing with True Blood, and not going by the book for season 2. “YIPPEE!!” Can’t wait until season 2 starts!

I am glad that Carrie liked the Billsbabe shirt, I wish that I could be there to see Stephen’s and Anna’s reactions to the t-shirt! I bet they will get a hoot out of that one!

Also, can’t wait to see this movie, looks like it is really going to be good. Hope it is a huge success for you Carrie! Thank you Carrie for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to our ABN!

March 04, 2009

great interview. a Terry and Arlene \’ship?… i never would have thunk it! (til now) that\’d be one-liner heaven, i\’m sure…

thanks!