Entertainment Weekly Special Vampire Issue

Posted by Shadaliza On July - 31 - 200937 COMMENTS

Entertainment Weekly’s issue of August 7 will be a vampire special.

ewvampiressmallThis week’s Entertainment Weekly delivers the ultimate guide to vampires. You’ll find interviews with the authors behind Twilight and True Blood, our list of the 20 greatest bloodsuckers ever, and Anne Rice’s pick for the best new vampire — as well as a talk with her about how she revolutionized the vampire legend decades ago with Interview with a Vampire.

With Twilight a phenomenon, True Blood attracting converts by the millions, and hordes of new vampire projects looming in the shadows, bloodsuckers are haunting every corner of our lives: bookstores, television, movies, and more. Why has pop culture thrown open its door and invited them in? “The traditional vampire story, with monsters and victims, chases and chills, is more plain fun,” says True Blood’s executive producer Alan Ball. “But they can often reveal the general state of the cultural psyche.”

Vampires are such versatile symbols now that they can express both conservative and liberal views. Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight novels are steeped in her Mormon values. But True Blood speaks in part for gays and, as Ball puts it, “eight years of institutionalized demonization of pretty much any group that wasn’t on the bus with Mr. Bush.”

It may come as a surprise to learn that Meyer – reigning queen of pop culture’s vampire coven – has an uneasy relationship with them. Back in 2003, when she was writing the first draft of Twilight, she refused to show it to her husband. “I was embarrassed,” she said. “It was about vampires.” In fact, last year, she told EW that her great wish was to reclaim some time to write something new. “Look, I’m not just a vampire girl,” she said emphatically. “I can do other worlds.”

Laurell K. Hamilton, author of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter books, has her own thoughts on the Twilight phenomenon. “Stephenie Meyer has come and she’s taken the genre that I sort of pioneered. Her original audience was 11- and 12-year-olds, so she – very rightly – sanitized the genre. She took out a lot of the sex and violence, especially for the first book…I ask people, Why has this really captured you? What I heard from all ages is that it was very romantic that he was willing to wait for her and that there was no sex. They like the idea that [Bella] was like the fairy princess and [Edward] is the handsome prince that rides in and saves her. The fact that women are so attracted to that idea – that they want to wait for Prince Charming rather than taking control of their own life – I find that frightening.”

When asked why people find vampires so appealing, Anne Rice (author of the series The Vampire Chronicles) says, “I think people are intrigued by what they would do if they were offered the opportunity to be a vampire. Would they be willing to drink human blood in order to be immortal? Maybe they would.”

For more about vampires, including our list of the 20 Greatest Ever and Anne Rice’s pick for the coolest of the new crops, pick up the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly onstands as of July 31. And be sure to check out our 27 hottest TV/movies vampires gallery, online now.

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-1607175887327377"
data-ad-slot="2898711400">

Share with your friends
Facebook Twitter Plusone Pinterest Tumblr Stumbleupon Reddit Digg Email

37 Responses to “Entertainment Weekly Special Vampire Issue”

1. Eleonora says:

Bill / Stephen is wonderfully beautiful! * __ *
    Team Bill 4ever! <3

2. Rowena says:

Bill/Stephen is looking so fine. I will be getting this issue. It will be a birthday present from me to me, since the 7th is my birthday. Lovely way to celebrate.

3. callonmebill says:

This is for real now? Not a photoshop edition….

Real, I can hardly wait, I too will get one in the mail! Bill staring at me!!!

[Reply]

4. Happy Birthday, in advance, Rowena. A little B’day cake washed down with TruBlood, and you’ve got yourself a party! He is an eyefull, isn’t he?

Rowena Reply:

Thanks, luv. Yes, he is. I’ll no doubt celebrate with a re-watch of a favorite episode that prominently features Bill.

5. Rose says:

Ive got six on Rowena, my birthday is tomorrow on the 1st. We always get the issue a few days early, so I cant wait to see more of the entertainment weekly photos. They cant expect the others to be all they took.

Dorothea (LISMlvr) Reply:

Well, happy birthday to you too! I wish you a Bill nibble on the neck!

Rowena Reply:

Happy Birthday, Rose. I hope you celebrate in fine style! Sending a birthday *hug* your way.

6. Lynnpd says:

I’ll be buying my copy tonight! Woo Hoo! Bill is by far the better of the two vamps. I like that he doesn’t sparkle, but has way more appeal.

7. cocoablossoms says:

another cover for stephen!!!

8. Anne says:

I look forward to this issue in my mailbox. I love Bill/Stephen.

And the Eric/Alex Skarsgard fans will start screeching like angry little girls in 5,4,3,2…

Sanna Reply:

It’s funny because they sure have started to complain. I’m like “It’s just a magazine!” I don’t understand how you can get upset about something as small as that. Mystery to me. And I do find it rather hilarious, lol

Eric/Alex may be very popular with “normal” fans, but the media LOVES Bill/Stephen. And maybe they are a bit bitter about that, I don’t know.

wkw Reply:

The AS/Eric fans will be too busy gloating over the ‘poll’ results inside to complain about the cover, unless it’s to ask why the ‘Hottest Vampire’ wasn’t the one ON the cover.

EW Readers Poll: Who’s the Hottest Vampire???

Eric (TB) 42%
    Edward (Twilight) 35%
    Bill (TB) 10%
    Damon (Vampire Diaries) 8%
    Mitchell (Being Human) 3%
    Stefan (Vampire Diaries) 2%

Challie Reply:

I’m an Eric fan all the way, and it doesn’t bother me. Any exposure for True Blood is great, IMO, and I love that Bill is in front of Edward. :) And Eric did win the fan poll featured in this issue so he got some love too. Go Bill and Eric!! :)

ETA: I was in the middle of posting when WKW posted. I just wanted to clarify that I’m not gloating. I really do think it’s great that True Blood is getting exposure. :)

Sanna Reply:

Well said

I’m so tired of all the blah vs blah, that I usually never read those stuff anymore. And the shipper wars?? Don’t get me started. It seems like there’s an unwritten law that says that you have to even hate the person who ships the couple you don’t like. I wish I could say I’m too old for that, but I’m only 23! LOL

Wait, I take that abck. I think I AM too old for that. And just because a character wins in an interent poll doesn’t mean that that character is the most popular. Not every True Blood fan is on the internet and not everyone votes. I don’t.

I’m so over the fandom war. It’s silly and it doesn’t lead anywhere. No one can change the other one’s opinion. Sometimes I feel like the fandom is a big sandbox. “Eric is better than Bill!” No, Bill is better than Eric!”

OK, rant is over :-)

Moyerbabe Reply:

Amen Sanna! I totally agree with you, well said!! Brava!!! :)

wkw Reply:

By gloating I really wasn’t referring to anyone here. Other sites though, are not so friendly to everyone.

Sanna Reply:

You got that right! LOL

9. Kellmeister says:

Lynn, I didn’t know we could pick up the issue already? I’ll have to go look for it now too!
    I don’t care who’s on the cover; as Lou would say, I’m a ‘Billic’ fan- I love them both, so you could have knocked off Pattinson in my opinion….

Shadaliza Reply:

Well said Kell!

skimom2 Reply:

Kell-I picked one up today by accident. I was in Barnes and Noble and the
    ET cover just jumped out at me! TB is mentioned throughout the issue.

page 27- Article about Sookie and Charlaine Harris.
    30-31- Bill and Eric rated #5 as 20 greatest vampires.
    32- readers poll- Who’s the hottest vampire?
    42% -Eric 10%-Bill
    52- Ausiello Files-Scoop on 8 hot shows-(Special comic con edition)
    54- Soundbites- Chris Bauer mentioned

Of course Stephen’s gorgeous face is in front of Pattison on the cover as well it should be!

skimom2 Reply:

P.S. TB mentioned again- page 13- The Shaw Report ( Bill fans won’t like it!)
    64- The Bullseye-TruBlood Beverage is right on target!

wkw Reply:

I’ll just quote my mama here “Just because something is ‘in’ doesn’t mean it’s right.”

10. cam64 says:

Alex is growing on me, but he is no Stephen Moyer……..

11. wkw says:

What astonishes me is that in the “20 Greatest Vampires of All Time” there is…brace yourselves…no Spike.

But, the kind folks at EW were diplomatic (and intelligent) enough to put Bill AND Eric at #5 together. LOL. They didn’t want any hate-mail.

sarah Reply:

What the Hell??? No Spike?? I thought he would be a lock for the top five.

12. Sara says:

No SPIKE! That’s just not right. I’m a Billic as well. I just want to see both their characters develop organically as the show continues.

13. Lou says:

Great cover! Well, Stephen’s half is. And I had a letter re: True Blood and Bill/Sookie published in this issue. YAY!!

luvinbill Reply:

I bought my copy today.. saw your letter in the magazine Lou, well done!! I am very happy to see True Blood getting more coverage. This issue has not only my favorite Bill on the cover but an article and a quote from Andy as well as a mention of the Tru Blood beverage. And #5 on the list features both Bill and Eric, what could be better?

skimom2 Reply:

Was that your letter-Love at First Bite- on page 2? Awesome! I agree also that True Blood is finally getting the recognition it deserves. With all the attention this show is getting how could it been passed over for major Emmy nominations?

Lou Reply:

Yes, that’s my letter! I had been harping on EW for so long about their lack of TB coverage that I had to thank them when they finally came through.

Dorothea (LISMlvr) Reply:

You have been all over them (and Bill) for a while. Nice to see that your efforts paid off and you got your letter in the mag. Congrats!

14. Sanna says:

Lou, you wrote about True Blood and Bill/Sookie??

Lou Reply:

In my letter that EW published, I did. I had to thank them for the awesome Stephen/Anna pics since they were my faves, plus had to mention Bill/Sookie of course.

15. willkill4bill says:

Looking at Bill on that cover I can almost hear that growl/snarl thing he does. Hmmm. Was there someone else on the cover with him? As far as any rating goes I know exactly where he places so it matters not what any article or poll states.

16. Eleonora says:

Is useless to cling where eric is ranking first, because there are hundreds of classifications! XDDD

Then, there is one where Bill is 1 and Eric 4. Another is where Bill 3 and Eric even 11 xD
    So please stop ..
    Everyone has their own taste point.

And I conclude by saying bill go team! * __ *

Moyerbabe Reply:

Since, the magazine talks about the 20 hottest vampires of all time, they should have featured the two hottest and REAL vampires of all time, Bill & Eric, instead of having little sparkle boy on the cover! Can sparkle boy even be classified as a vampire? And what DID happen to Spike? I loved Spike…I would have ranked him way above Edward! But of course, that is just my opinion, nothing more. Don’t stone me, okay?! lol!

All kidding aside, I am just really glad that True Blood, and both SM/AS are getting recognized. And even though Bill didn’t win, if someone had to win, I am just glad that it was Eric not Edward. “THANK YOU!” At least it was one of our True Blood vamps. Yay, True Blood boys errr Vamps!! :-)