Politics, Religion, and…Bill vs. Eric?

Posted by Shadaliza On August - 12 - 2009141 COMMENTS

Written for the Vault by Kellmeister

‘Who shot J.R.?’

‘Were Ross and Rachel really on a break?’

‘Who will BE the next American Idol?’

Not since questions like these has there been such a hotbed of discussion and debate around the water cooler, or now, in online boards and chat rooms, about our favorite cult TV show. Now we find ourselves asking another, more pressing question- are you on Team Bill or Team Eric?

bill_eric

Please don’t ask me that question, because as Shad, our delightful Web mistress, put it so kindly to me prior to me writing this, I find myself in a ‘repressed minority.’ I have been completely and utterly glamoured by BOTH phantasmagorically (is this even a word?) hot, un-dead male vamps in True Blood. (I am a self-professed Billsbabe, but we’ll let that slide under the radar for now, won’t we?) They have completely different looks, and completely different personalities, and, as is apparent on the show, completely different backgrounds, despite both having to hide from the sun during the day. Ultimately, though, they also share some of the more, shall we say, unbecoming, characteristics of the vampire- the need to feed on human blood, a smidge of possessiveness, and the bloodlust that comes from the three F’s: fighting, feeding, and, well, you know, fornicating (using the ‘pur-ee-tan-ee-cal’ form of the word, of course).

I have been on several boards and fan fiction sites, watch the show religiously, and am reading the books, and I grow weary of all the bickering back and forth regarding Bill and Eric. It seems to me that everyone, myself included, loves to voice their opinion about one vamp versus the other, and finds it difficult to just agree to disagree. First I hear, ‘Eric is a total jerk, he’s selfish, arrogant, manipulative, boring, he does nothing for me, and is just toying with Bill to get to Sookie, yadda, yadda, yadda.’ Then I hear, ‘Bill is such a jerk, he’s selfish, boring, he does nothing for me, you know what he did in the books- he just deceived Sookie and took advantage of her, you know the Queen’s going to show up this season, yadda, yadda, yadda.’ And that’s putting it mildly. Sometimes I feel like it’s become one of those taboo subjects you don’t talk about in everyday conversation, like politics or religion.

If I’m being painfully honest, I’m trying to write this purely from the television point of view- if you bring the books into this, you’re dealing with a completely different set of circumstances, and you’ve got to get yourself out of that mindset right now if you’re reading my drivel. I’ve heard in various interviews with the cast, that True Blood shouldn’t tell the story the same exact way as the books, and I agree. As Chet Atkins once said, ‘Once you become predictable, no one’s interested anymore.’ Change it up for me, Alan Ball; I’m in for the long haul.

57646048shadaliza610200993704amStephen Moyer is depicting his character of Bill to a tee, as the more humanistic, less auspicious, mainstreaming vamp. We’ve seen glimpses of Bill’s inner monster, both in the past and the present, ever since he was turned just before reuniting with his human family. He has declared his love for Sookie, and tries to remain patient with her, while trying to teach her that the vampire world can’t be fitted to the same moral compass as the human world embraces. We have seen his tortured soul come into play many times, and time will tell if Bill has any ulterior motives behind any of his actions. So far, his intentions seem sincere, and he’s been able to control his animalistic impulses, aside from staking Longshadow, and killing Uncle Bartlett, which were both essentially in defense of Sookie. Bill is protective, tries to play by the so-called rules, and is able to feel remorse. He’s ever the Southern Gent, with a touch of ‘I’m here to kick ass, and take names.’

57646319shadaliza610200993533amIn the same respect, Alexander Skarsgård must be doing a spectacular job of portraying Eric, because so many of you find him detestable, despicable, and downright pretentious- the consummate bad boy. He is that, but that’s all we’ve been allowed to see of him so far. We are also being led to believe that he cares deeply for his maker, and yes, he can shed a tear or two, which has endeared him to the True Blood groupies on the opposite end of the spectrum from Bill lovers. He doesn’t appear to carry any remnants of human emotion around with him; he embraces vampirism. He’s seen all, done all, and goes after what he wants, even if it’s in an underhanded way, or even if it involves chaining victims up in a dungeon for weeks at a time. (I have to say I didn’t enjoy the torture of our pre-PTSD Lafayette, but can you say you really miss the redneck, garlic-toting Royce?) To me, Eric plays a bit of tortured soul, in addition to being a powerful badass. He’s confident, cocky, and a ‘lovable rogue,’ as someone wrote on The Vault a few days ago.

So here we have these two characters, which, for me, are the embodiment of the angel and the devil sitting on my shoulders, both vying for my attention, one trying to lead me away from a moral path and to give in to my ‘id’ at every turn, the other one trying to lead me down the path of the more righteous (albeit slightly tainted by fangs), or the way of my ‘ego.’ Personally, I couldn’t argue with either one of these two whispering in my ear. If we do end up with the so-called ‘love triangle’ that so many are either dreading, or waiting for with bated breath, God help you Sookie. All the territory marking not withstanding (mine, mine, mine), you’ve got yourself one hell of a decision to make, in my opinion.

neckandneckIt has been said that one’s perception is one’s reality. Therefore, in my reality, I find both characters handsome, both having certain flaws (hello, potential exsanguination?), and both having character traits that undeniably make them the very unique vampires they are. I understand, and I get it, that some of you don’t find one or the other attractive, honest, too boring, too uptight, whatever. I’ll just continue to try to politely agree to disagree on certain points, knowing you have your opinion, and I have mine. Please try not to make your arguments too personal against the actors, either, because ultimately, these two are simply playing CHARACTERS, created in a talented woman’s imagination, given voices in a book, and now brought to life in a televised version of the story, thanks to Mr. Alan Ball.

As Jason would say, “It is what it is,” and I wish we could all remain so easily enlightened, and simply enjoy the show for entertainment purposes, without a lot of hyped-up overanalyzation.

Just leave my vamps alone. At least they don’t sparkle….

The t-shirt Compton vs Northman it’s neck and neck is available in the Billsbabe’s Shoppe.

© The Vault – TrueBlood-Online.com
Reproduction is not allowed without a source link back to www.trueblood-online.com

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-1607175887327377"
data-ad-slot="2898711400">

Share with your friends
Facebook Twitter Plusone Pinterest Tumblr Stumbleupon Reddit Digg Email

141 Responses to “Politics, Religion, and…Bill vs. Eric?”

1. lovelylavendar says:

This is a great, funny and true read!
    thanks for making me smile….its actually pretty funny! the whole Bill vs Eric…
    maybe if I just crush on both I will feel better about whom Sookie ends up with,….*sigh*
    I love that: At least they don’t sparkle….
    damn straight!

[Reply]

2. Ever the diplomat, Kell. It’s true, you never get your back up when there is an anti-Eric disparaging remark thrown your way. And, being an original Billsbabe, you have to fend off quite a few of those. I don’t understand having a foot in both camps … it’s like being a Yankee and Met fan. Can’t be done. But I respect your right to lust after the blond one. Great article. Well written and funny. Between your article and Lynn’s new wallpaper, I’ve got a bad feeling that there’ll be a storm blowing in from the south any time now.

3. cocoablossoms says:

good article kell and i think it came at a perfect time. i am team bill. i don’t like eric. but i also don’t care if someone likes eric and don’t take it too personally. i’m not trying to convince anyone to think my way. the only time i get really riled up is when people do the book argument, can’t simply see that people have different tastes as far as what they find attractive based on physicality or personality type, or involve stephen and anna’s relationship in their arguments.

i’m so glad you brought up the point about seperating the books from the show. too many people throw in the “if you only read the books” argument. even people who read the books can’t all agree on character merits and motivations. and guess what a lot of people have read thebooks and still don’t like who you do. tough cookies. everyone is entitled to their opinion. how about we all comment on the show since that is what we are all watching.

i’m so tired of “so and so if obviously better looking”. some people just don’t find certain people attractive. no they are not blind, that is just their preference. just as well some people are really turned off by certain behavior.

when people try to say things about stephen and anna’s relationship affecting the show. that is just lame, irrational, and immature. i’ve also heard people say there is jealousy about the triangle and fan attention amongst the actors. please. these guys all get along famously and they are all professional. some fans just read way into things too much and take the team thing way too seriously. it looks really silly and really bizarre.

and honestly what none of us thinks or wants matters. neither does what happens in the books. that’s just the truth. the only team that matters is what ever team alan ball wants. hell, he may not side with either ship for all we know. it’s his show and nobody is entitled to any conclusion. i read somewhere that even charllaine was upset when fans were reacting as if she “owed” them certain things after writing the last book. she responded basically like this is my story, not yours. please. if you are that concerned go write a fan fic that goes exactly how you want it.

lynnpd Reply:

Cocoa, I so agree with the “if you’ve only read the books” statement you made. I have read every book and I still think that Bill is the most interesting character and disagree strongly with those who say he was deceptive. I saw him so differently then most did in the books. However, Kell makes a very true and real point that we just cannot compare the show to the books, they are different.

Kimbel Reply:

I saw him differently too. I had mentioned in other posts that so many sites that talk about how he was so deceitful and treated Sookie wrong lead me to purchase the audio for each book. I wanted to hear the words. I finished all 9 books and still came away with Bill being the most interesting character and with no doubt love Sookie.

Heck he loved her so much he was willing to be subjected to Eric demands and rub it in your face treatment and still in all he never invaded her space to move on.

True Blood lead me to the books because I wanted to know more about Sookie/Bill relationship and the books did not disappoint me because I understand things are not always smooth in relationships.

I also got out of the book that it was a very real relationship because Bill had other relationship and Sookie had several. Her thought always lead back to Bill even when she was trying hard not to mention his name.

The gorgeous viking Eric made the stories very much interesting also but it was Bill that kept me reading each book to see if he had made his way back to Sookie.

4. lovelylavendar says:

I’m 100% Bill, I think the main thing that gets me is that with all the Eric hoopla Stephen will just fade away and or become the vampire no one likes because of his little mission for the gueen (SPOILER) I agree Cocoablossom, I’, over the book arguments…..AB may surprise us! Every interview and article I have read says nothing about any feuds, they all get along beautifully and have praised Anna and Stephen’s relationship….

5. Kierrah says:

Thank you for this! I completely agree, these two are amazing actors who play two completely different characters, and that’s what makes the show so great. There’s something/someone for everyone to enjoy. I admit, I’ve read the books and wasn’t too much of a Bill fan, but Stephen Moyer has done an absolutely wonderful job of mixing his own idea of Bill with the “based-upon” character. He’s made the perfect Bill, and I’ve fallen in love (lust?) all over again.
    And Eric, well I’ve just always liked Eric. I wasn’t much of a fan of him during the first season, but I tried to remember that he’s a thousand years old and must be pretty damn bored with just about anything by now. He’s definitely grown on me this season though, and I think Alex is doing an amazing job.
    So yeah I love both characters, but in different ways. If that makes sense. I guess it doesn’t and I’m weird, but that’s just how it is for me!

6. lynnpd says:

Kell, you have done yourself proud. I loved this article. Your writing is just great and you represented your torn, divided, vampwich-ish self so well. We all know that you still like Bill though right, even if you like Eric just a bit, or dare I say, even more? I think that one of the best things about true blood is the dynamic between the main characters and the struggles that persist. As a Bill fan, I’m glad that Alan Ball seems to like Bill so much that he will continue to be a central character in the future of True Blood. If Eric is too, so be it. And, I agree book and show are so different that, at this stage, the comparisons seem inappropriate. I know that you’ve had to struggle with your split personality, but this article helped me to understand your point of view a little better. GREAT JOB!

7. wkw says:

Excellent article. I am definitely glamoured by Bill, and I dislike Eric. But, like cocoablossoms I do not care if someone else likes Eric. What does bother me is others insisting I should like Eric, and if I don’t, it’s because I haven’t read the books (I have). Even in the books it is clear to me that Bill truly loves Sookie, while Eric’s love is questionable at best (even CH said recently when asked if Eric loves Sookie that ‘she’s thinking about it’). I find Eric physically and emotionally unappealing. Different strokes for different folks. Good thing we don’t all like the same type.

Alan said there would be a triangle. He said that we would see the beginnings of it this season, not that it would come to fruition. People are rushing things. Sigh. Let’s give Bill and Sookie their time together. Then…bring on Alcide. :D

lovelylavendar Reply:

wkw, do you know where Ch said that?..I would love to read it! was it at her site?

Kierrah Reply:

Oh, there better be some Alcide! Bill also better have some fun storylines of his own if(when?) Sookie and him go their separate ways *tear*. Let’s face it, things can’t be paradise for them forever, even if Alan changes things around a bit.

For now, I’m just enjoying the silent tension between the three, and Bill’s utter devotion to his lady. Keep it coming!

wkw Reply:

lovelylavender, it was at her site in response to a question on the “Questions about the Sookie Stackhouse Series” thread. It was quite awhile ago, though…maybe late May, early June, after DAG came out and there was such a ruckus on the site.

cocoablossoms Reply:

that’s very interesting to me that she said that. especially since she has already decided the ending.

8. lkc says:

A very well thought out article and timely. Today is actually the first time I posted here because of all the Bill vs. Eric. No matter which one you like, if any, it does get hard to take at times. I actually lurk at quite a few forums but only post at 1 other. I won’t post at CH main site -just no way I want to go there and I am even starting to avoid that site because it can get unpleasant.

That said I do want to defend us book lovers to an extent. I know it’s supposed to be 2 separate entities and I am slowly starting to see it that way. But imagine if you had read all the books and were anxiously awaiting certain scenes and they don’t happen, it does get frustrating. As a Eric lover I knew that it wouldn’t be until the 3rd season until we got any E/S action not even a romance). But in season 1 and 2 there were only a few scenes we could look forward to and they are taken away and not only that but to portray him as such a a** hole. It makes you feel like a favorite character has died. At this point in the books Sookie liked and TRUSTED him, in TB no way and it’s hard to see how it’s going to come about. I am trying to put my faith in AB and because of that I eagerly tune in each week.

I do enjoy most of the show. The Maryann story line could have disappeared a long time ago and that screen time could have been given to Eric and PAM-who I am dying to see more of.

cocoablossoms Reply:

and that’s fine and good. it’s that fact that a lot of people who have read the books say those who haven’t must and have to to see their point of view or that if we read them there is no way we would still have our opinions. more people need to just leave it as they prefer the story as it’s portrayed in the books then. there is no reason any of us had to read the books to enjoy true blood. that’s silly. at the end of the day it’s the show and we are entiltled to have opinions based just on that.

w.i.w.a. Reply:

I still think the vast majority of the audience either don’t know or (like me) don’t care to read the books. I don’t understand the need for reading the source material. Life is too short. We need to balance far-out-there fantasy like True Blood with other entertainments and literature. If you love the books, great! But I love the show and that’s enough for me.

cocoablossoms Reply:

high-five to that. and honestly i don’t even read much fiction i spend my reading time with more historical things or autobiographies. but i did give the books a shot and didn’t like them. who cares. i am a true blood fan.

callonmebill Reply:

ikc welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book vs show and I understand (some of my favorite Bill scenes/lines have never appeared!), but being a reader myself (read the books after season 1) I know that movie or tv adaptations almost always are just that adaptations, but with the casting of SM as Bill and AS as Eric and AB is the helm True Blood is not just another adaptation! Try to separate the two and enjoy them equally.

cocoablossoms Reply:

exactly. that’s why i’m surprised when people get so up in arms with “in the books…”. i’ve never seen anything that is an adaptation follow things to the letter. people should realize that going in. it’s setting yourself up to be disappointed. i think the same thing applies though when people don’t want to see certain things from the books. alan is going to use the source material as he chooses. and that’s exactly what it is, source material, not the true blood bible. viewers will sometimes see thing they like and dislike from the books and that’s that. and just because something happened for a certain reason or not in the books doesn’t mean it carries the exact same meaning in the show. you have to judge by what’s been presented to the viewers. one thing i think is ironic is that sookie and eric hook up in book 4, have interactions throughout but don’t hook up again until book 9…. so if it went exactly like the books would eric fans be happy??? just a thought. i actually think alan is speeding up this whole thing for a reason and to condense the drama. too much other stuff needs to happen.

lkc Reply:

Actually with each episode it gets easier to separate the 2. I feel that TB is more like a cousin of the books. Doesn’t mean I didn’t mourn the loss of some of my favorite parts. I also do enjoy TB, just not the central characters. I more enjoy the other storylines. I really love Jason this year( never would have seen THAT coming!) The actor who plays Jason deserves an Emmy IMHO. I just wish they had focused more on the vamps this season. They really could have done a better job fleshing out the Dallas vamps. That storyline is weak and has a lot of wholes. With all the air time given to the Maryann plot( which I don’t know of ANYONE enjoying it anymore) they could have gone more in depth with Eric’s character, PAM and the Dallas vamps! JMO

As far as the Sookie/Bill/ Eric triangle I really don’t care if they go there anymore. I really hate what they have done to Sookie and Bill this season, liked them much better last season.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i’ve always liked jason, even last season, and think he’s had the best plotline and performance this season. he owns it. i still love me some bill but his material has been on and off this year. i think stephen always delivers everything remarkably but the writing for the character has had relly high points but too much mediocre material as well. i miss the whole mood of last season. it was more mysterious, sensual, and unique. the bob dylan promos got me excited because i thought we were getting more of what they did best. i’m still in it to win it, but they need to bring back the sex and intrigue.

9. willkill4bill says:

That was great. I really enjoyed it. To each their own. My sister is in the opposite vamp camp and all is well between us. She always was a difficult child. LOL I enjoyed the books so much I reread them. TB is great and stands on it’s own. I like that we do not know what’s coming. I love analyzing characters and guessing what AB has up his sleeve. It’s fun to read others opinions even when they are the total opposite of mine. I don’t like it when somebody confuses the characters with the actors who portray them and say snide things based on dislike of a character. I have been firmly entrenched in my vamp’s camp from the moment I read him walking into Merlottes. Nothing is going to budge me but that doesn’t mean others can’t feel the same for their vamp of choice. I don’t have a problem with them and it means it is one less I’ll have fight off of my beautiful vampire Bill C.:-) Ain’t love grand? LOL

10. Sue C says:

I just love this article and I’m so glad someone finally said (wrote) it. I thoroughly enjoy this show and wish I could just watch it and read about it without having to hear all of the arguments about which vamp is better. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. And the “read the books” comments are getting old…I have read the books and as much as I’ve enjoyed them, I’m loving where AB is taking us. Let’s just enjoy the ride and the surprises that AB has in store for us.

11. nkdp says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Kell! What a wonderful article. I’m a die hard Bill fan but don’t think any less of anyone who is an Eric fan or both. I do not compare this series to the books…it’s much better. I agree with you 100% and am so glad someone finally put it all in words. Great writing……I never knew you had writing talent. Thank You again.

12. MindCryme says:

First, I’m a guy and I’m not gay, so I not in either Bill or Eric’s camp. I have not read the books and do not intend to read them. I enjoy the show for what it is and for what it has done for me personally…

These are my observations of Bill and Eric.

Eric is an anti-hero. He’s an arrogant, confident, bad-ass that in the end will come through. His interest in Sookie is nothing more than he has seen the change in Bill and wants it desperately for himself. He believes by possessing Sookie he will find what Bill has, love.

Bill is the tortured one. He lost his humanity for a while, but it has been revived by Sookie. Finding his humanity again has lead him to regret some of his past, but at the same time old habits die hard. He has found an eternity of life without someone to share it with is pointless. Sookie IS the reason for Bill’s existence.

Bill, Eric, and Sookie gives you perfect tension which is the key ingredients for a great story.

As Kellmeister says, “It is what it is…”

wkw Reply:

You are absolutely right about both vamps and the tension making for a good story.

cocoablossoms Reply:

great assessment from someone completely unbiased. brava!!! thas is exactly how i see it. i actually think there needs to be a shakeup between bill and sookie. i will stand behind bill and sookie but i agree we need the eric thing to happen to keep the show interesting. i don’t like eric but him and sookie will be very interesting. i’m just cringing because bill is my main priority and i don’t want to see him hurt nor do i want his storyline to suffer. i so agree that eric has been jaded and is jealous of what he sees that bill has. how can a vampire beneath him be happier??? he isn’t always just staring at sookie he watches the both of them and wishes it was him. and bill needed a miracle in his life as he said himself. he was a wreck before sookie. they were instantly connected because they are each other’s solace.

Kimbel Reply:

I agree Bill and Sookie do need some conflict in their relationship I’m just not interested it being with Eric.

I also agree with how Eric’s whole outlook is the fact that Bill is his subordinate and a younger vampire leads to him wanting what Bill has this being Sookie.

For the most part Bill ignores Eric to the fullest just as Sookie does in True Blood but to me the handsome viking is the one that keep stating if you give me the girl.

Eric becomes more arrogant by stating I can take her if I want is an abuse of authority in my opinion.
    In season 1 when Bill/Sookie went to Fantasia Eric had know clue of Sookie or her ability and he ask Bill then are you fond of your friend it showed he wanted what Bill had.
    I would like to find out how Bill/Eric know each other because it seems that they have cross paths prior to his return to Bon-Temp maybe we will see that in seasons to come. More True Blood Please!

cocoablossoms Reply:

ooh!!! i see awesome bill and eric flashbacks written all over what you just said. sweet. will malcom and diane be involved too. that would be awesome. i miss them. if eric wasn’t always his sheriff i wonder how they interacted before. eric obviously knows lorena. hmmm???

Kimbel Reply:

LOL. Diana/ Malcom were funny funny.

callonmebill Reply:

MindCryme thank you for your analysis, most welcomed and shared.
    The ‘Scratches’ episode points out Eric’s need for love where Sookie’s back is being healed by Dr. Ludwig, Eric is in the background fangs extended yearning and again when Bill is giving Sookie blood, Eric witnesses the tender scene of love and devotion between the two and wants it but cannot admit it. Something tells me he’s going to try!
    Bill is evolved, as Godric would say and has found human love, and now must fight off Eric!
    I just love this show!

Moyerbabe Reply:

Thank you!! I couldn’t agree with you more, Mindcryme! I can’t tell you how sick to death I am of these people telling me who and what I should or should not like or be in favor of! I, like you Mindcryme, have not read the books, nor do I ever intend to! Especially, since hearing over, and over, about what happened in the books!!! “How many times are the book people going to beat that dead horse?! He’s been killed over a thousand times already! Let it go!!!” Don’t think that I don’t understand how you feel, because I really do sympathize with you. I can’t tell you how many times I have read a book, and then watched it be made into either a movie or as a show on t.v, and was utterly
    disappointed. But, enough is enough already!! Please, try to watch the show for what it is, on it’s own merit, you will enjoy it so much more!

When I started watching True Blood, I fell in love with the show, and have enjoyed it for what it is. Tell you the truth, I had no idea it was based on a book series!

Even though I am a fan of Bill’s/SM, I do not think any less of someone who is a fan of Eric’s, we just have different tastes in vampire’s or men, that’s all, and I am okay with that. But don’t try to change my mind because I don’t agree with you, because I am not going to change mind, anymore than you who love Eric can change yours. That said, the thing that really upsets me is that people are now critizing Stephen himself, saying just horrible, mean, spiteful things about him, and especially his engagement to Anna! To me, this is totally unexceptable, and is just down right wrong! Just because you don’t like the character he plays in the show doesn’t give you the right to attack the actor himself, or his personal life. “Shame on you!!” If the same were happening to Alex I would feel the same way. It doesn’t matter to me, who it is, when someone is being attacked unfairly, it really gets my blood boiling.

Anyway, thanks Kell for the article, you were spot on, and really got to the heart the issues fantastically. Great job!!

13. lovinvampirebill says:

Kell!!!! My sista!! As an Eric AND Bill lover, I couldn’t have said it better myself!! Amazing read, great job!

14. Rowena says:

Excellent article, Kell. I am for Vampire Bill all the way. But, hey, each to his or her own. Bottom line: the show is fantastic, and I am drawn in by the story, and its exciting evolution. Great writing and an outstanding cast make this top-drawer entertainment.

You quoted Jason’s “It is what it is.” When it comes to the two vampires, I’d like to quote a memorable line from Popeye the Sailor man (going back some years here). I can almost hear Bill and Eric saying these words: “I am what I am and that’s all that I am.”

15. LTB a Billsbabe says:

Kell great article. Of course you know where my heart lies I am a proud Billsbabe and always will be. You have the right to love the viking but I don’t share that love and never will. But I guess to each their own. lol I tease I really don’t care if someone loves Eric I believe that it is good for the show to have the conflict of the two vamps going on. I am fairly sure that Alan Ball is not going to follow the books and have Bill all but disappear, so my faith will carry me through any Eric story lines.

16. Eleonora says:

Wonderful article! ^^
    I am and I am forever a fan of Bill! I’m part of the team Bill! :-)Have a billsbabe!=)
    In my opinion, Eric is quite selfish and arrogant, wants Sookie is only because of Bill .. otherwise would have found as many as a humanity ..
    Bill truly loves Sookie,however, would die for you and has demonstrated many times!
    And their love story is wonderful! *-* You see that you really love !*__*
    And again, the series is different from the book! Bill is too important a character! And is completely different from the book! Here is more human, more good, really has a soul.
    And is the thing I like best about him: P
    I finish by saying Team Bill 4ever!

17. Kimbel says:

Great article! It is hard not to choose sides when you watch True Blood lately. I am Bill all the way from the show to the Books. That is not to say Eric hasn’t been great to watch and read about to.

I really don’t get into the dislike of characters and to think either of them are boring is not even a thought in my mind.

I actually love the interaction with Bill and Eric. When those two meet up it is like a jockey vs a chess club member ( not to say the viking is not intelligent). It just they are so different but yet so similar.

I do believe that the thought of Bill having someone to love and to see that Sookie actually loves Bill has made Eric all the more interested. After reading the books and I do separate the show from the books. I always felt like Sookie shouldn’t had taken it there with Eric and I had always felt a little off with this. (yes I know the shower scene).

So it lead me to think that CH will explain more in her books to come. Now my interest is going to be how True Blood brings this into play and I just hope it gives me a better understanding on this part.

So far True Blood has given me so much more of what it seems like was missing from the series of books.

I

18. MsTortilla says:

Great article!

I like both Bill & Eric for different reasons (which starts one argument). I also happen to like the show better than the books (which always starts another argument!) I like most of the storylines incorporating all of the characters and how they interact.

[Reply]

19. Great piece KELL ! You did a great job ! I do not read the books , only watch the show.

I also like Bill & Eric for different reasons. I have a foot firmly planted in each camp.

fallen4Bill Reply:

The article is terrific Kell and as you can see you have started an interesting conversation. I love True Blood and was completely seduced or glamored if you will by Bill Compton. He is my favorite part of the show!
    Having said that….Eric has gotten my attention. I have not read the books so each week is a surprise for me. The love triangle, it is very appealing to me. I would also like to see more scenes with Bill and Eric. That rivalry is fun. The backstory of these two has great potential. Any story line that keeps the vamps front and center is ideal ( I am soooo over Maryann).
    Thanks again Kell for a great read! Keep the conversation going =)

20. Misty says:

I simply LOVE the show and Books..And that’s all I have to say about that…People don’t get so involved..ENJOY the Ride!!

Elizabeth Reply:

Thank you, I agree! I just enjoy the show. Do I have a fave between the two? Yes, but I will keep that to myself. I think people forget that this show will (hopefully) go on for several more seasons, and it can’t stay the same for 4-5 seasons…that would be boring. Sit back, enjoy the show, and stop taking everything so darn seriously!

21. Tiffany says:

Finally, someone with some sense and it seems like from the comments above that there are others out there that have some sense as well. I like both Bill and Eric. I don’t mind if people want to like one over the other that is their opinion and their right but when people start to bash the actors, their relationships, and actually tell people who they should like, then it just gets a little bit aggravating. If you like Eric, then talk about Eric. If you like Bill talk about Bill. If either one does something you don’t like then you can talk about but quit bashing the actors and their relationships it’s very childish. I don’t mean to me mean infact I try to stay away from this stuff and I’m sure the actors are leading their own lives and don’t really care but if I have to hear one more person tell me that I should be a so and so fan because of the books I’m going to scream. I’ve read the books, liked both Bill and Eric in the books. I love the TV show like both Bill and Eric in the show and both actors do an amazing job. Great article.
    I hope no one takes this me saying you can’t express your opinion you can. You have every right. This is just mine and I mean no harm towards anyone.

Thank you!:)

22. Rogue says:

Great article, I am fan of True Blood, I have read lot paranormal books but I came across Sookie collection as well. In show Bill won my heart, his lusty stare and voice just arouse you before you know, you found yourself rewining the clip just to catch a glance of his bleu eyes once again. On the other hand I love Eric the bad vampire, great physic seating in that bath and voice too; both two are the best vampires characters I have seen so far. The books are totally different. I just hope the show does not become too preditable even if it gets its originaty from the books and just keep us guessing. if turn too much into the book, it could turn into these movies we have watched just to get the answer to the questions we were gagging for while watching.

23. gymvamp says:

You gonna have that sparkle boys rabid fans knocking at your door with a battering ram if you are not careful our own AgentKKS!! You are the perfect billsbabe!! You straddle that political fence with such snot nose indifference. I like that the pictures are of Steve and Alex not Bill and Eric. Good point regarding character vs actor. We who live in this “fake” world need to remember that. So in defference to your dark side I will say to you that I wouldn’t mind seeing “Eric” out of that wife beater he seems to never wash but I do believe I am stuck on “Bill” partially because of Steve.
    And to finish I will promise you this: Unlike this year at Paley, next year I am going to shove your ass, willing or not up to that stage to see one or both. I can fight when the mood strikes. And if the fates shall get us once again in the same room with them you will not be allowed to stand by and be a wall flower!! Auntie Gym will see to it!!

cocoablossoms Reply:

kell i have no idea how you could have had stephen in the same room with you and not seized the day. i would have been all over that. literally. you think i wouldn’t have gotten a hug. whatever.

wkw Reply:

I am fairly shy when it comes to meeting people like that, but I have to agree that I would not have been able to hold myself back from meeting Stephen.

24. blooddrunk says:

Great article! However I must say that I am Team Bill all the way. Loved Bill in books, loving him in show. Oh and of course, Stephen Moyer’s hotness and charm doesn’t hurt a little. Damn, I totally love Bill but I think I have fallen really hard for Stephen too. He is just damn perfect!

cocoablossoms Reply:

i think the real question here should be stephen vs. bill. i mean the easy answer is both of course. but if you really had to choose who would it be??? oh my, what a dillema!!! i see absolutely no bad flaws with stephen. bill has flaws but damn it he’s a vampire so i would easily forget any thing wrong with him with all that sexy biting going on. it’s a toss-up. oh well, both are taken anyway.

lovelylavendar Reply:

hah!
    yeah, at the end of the day Anna/sookie goes home to her Bill/Stephen.:D

cocoablossoms Reply:

well she figured out the way to solve the dilemma. have it all. anna is my new role model.

wkw Reply:

LOL. Yes. I would have to say in the Bill vs. Stephen thing Stephen wins by a nose for his marvelously wicked sense of humor. Bill is very serious, which becomes a vampire (and in the books contrasts nicely with Eric’s humor) but I married my husband because he makes me laugh every day. Stephen is so amusing and witty in interviews that he has captivated me in a way that is rare…I’m not a celebrity crush girl at all.

25. BBB says:

My my…this was a most entertaining read. It is a great article Kell. You make us Billsbabes proud.

26. Sammy says:

I agree with you Kimbel….but it does not seem to be the popular way to go..I too felt something is just “off” with Sookie and Eric…they are apart so much of the time..she has never spent Christmas with a boyfriend..he is not involved in her day to day life…I dunno, it seems mostly they get together for sex…just hoping Charlaine has been keeping Bill around for a reason..as for the show, Stephen has said “Sookie and Bill truly love each other, that is what will win out in the end”..and you can’t have a couple always together. there has to be drama..

Kimbel Reply:

Exactly it just seemed off to me and you are right thinking back she didn’t spend xmas with anyone and Eric wasn’t really around much and I think it was because he didn’t want to believe he had these feelings for her and that these type of feelings still exist within him. I think it was mostly for the sex too and this is not to say he didn’t care for her.

I don’t know it just didn’t sit well with me and honestly I am glad True Blood is different from the books and I hope they keep me guessing continuously because I really really like the show.

27. skimom2 says:

Cudos to you Kell for such a great, well thought out article. You made some excellent points about the book vs. TV show. I know that some people get crazed about the whole Bill vs Eric thing. Everyone should just chill out and enjoy the exciting ride that Alan Ball and Charlaine Harris have created. Bottom line is that we may all have different “camps” but the one common thread we do have is that we love the show and are all very loyal fans.

28. TrUeBlOoDfAn85 says:

Great article Kell.. you took the words out of my mouth.. I couldn’t say it better than my self..

So thank you..

And great job..

29. w.i.w.a. says:

Eric has such great chemistry with Pam, why change that? Let Eric play puppetmaster and troublemaker. Let Eric play with Lafayette and Jason. Even let Eric play with Bill and Sookie from time to time. But Eric as romantic hero? I don’t see it. Bill as romatic hero? Well Duh! That’s the reason the author was able to write book two. Bill’s character and Stephen’s ablility to play the conflicted romantic lead are a key reason the show gained an audience last year, ensuring the second season that even allows this discussion to take place.
    All success wished to both actors, they’re both great and they both seem like they’ve got their heads on straight. But if I have to choose for Sookie, or for me, it’s clearly Stephen, oops I mean Bill.

30. ABNegative says:

Well, I see our shy little Kellmeister still has a surprise or two up her BILLSBABE t-shirt sleeve. This is a well written article and I can tell you really gave it a lot of thought. A lot of thought. I suppose I could see how a tall, blonde, buffed and deathly pale vampire with blue eyes could sway you from the right path. Hey, you’re only human. He is quite the hottie. As far as fans getting into some sort of mud wrestling match over the age old question of “Bill vs Eric”, well, I just don’t see the point. To each his own. We have vanilla ice cream and we have chocolate ice cream. Eric and Bill. When I just want something to soothe my sweet tooth, vanilla is fine. But when I need that deep down, intense craving for something that jolts me from my chair and jumpstarts my motor, then only chocolate will do. But to me it’s like when I was a kid and went to sleepovers. We would get into (sometimes physical) shouting matches over which Beatle was the cutest. But at the end of the day it really didn’t matter. To each his own. And they all were mighty cute.

wkw Reply:

George. Definitely George. ;-)

cocoablossoms Reply:

i love your beatles analogy. i would go with george too. he seems like the thoughtful, romantic, peaceful type. they all had a charm i could appreciate and were cute in their own way, but the romantic wins. i guess it only makes sense that i would go for bill then. hmmm.

fallen4Bill Reply:

hahahaha ABN, I on the other hand like the ice cream analogy.
    These two are yummy! Out of respect for Shad I will refrain from the obvious enjoyable paralells between an ice cream cone and Bill;)

31. Lou says:

Awesome article, Kell! Such a fun and insightful read.

32. tinacherry says:

Excellent article! The team Eric vs. team Bill bickering has always bored me to tears. IMO it distracts from the overall brilliance of this show. The bashing of either character is not only childish but a slap in the face to the fabulous actors who brilliantly portray them.

33. Elizabeth says:

Great article. I wish I could have written it! I am Team Bill and want the Bill/Sookie relationship, but I also like Eric, but not in the romantic sense with Sookie. I love his bad ways and he does have some great lines! His look when saying these lines is cool. I just don’t like the way the Team Eric people glee over the fact that Eric will take Sookie and throw Bill away ie get his “just deserts”! All this from the book, I guess. AB has changed his show so much from the book – who is to say in what way he will do the “triangle” thing?? Hopefully just tension. Anyhow, I enjoy all characters, and the actors are doing such a great job. I just want to enjoy the show and have the “heebie/jeebies” waiting a whole week for the next episode and speculating on the promo clips! I also want more bed time with Bill and Sookie! It has been sadly lacking this season.

34. miranda32 says:

Really enjoyable read, Kell! I’m firmly in the Bill camp myself, but liked your id vs. ego distinction. In that vein, have you ever seen the sci-fi classic, “Forbidden Planet” ?? Fascinating movie!

35. Marilyn says:

I enjoyed reading your article and your point of view. It’s a marvelous tribute to the books, show, writers, actors and others that have all contrituted to bringing True Blood to us that it is able to affect us as deeply as it has. I think SM summed it up in a recent interview when he stated that the show was full of metaphors, metaphors that we can all relate to. The show touches us all on differet levels and I think whether we are aware of it or not we are all bringing our own metaphors to the table when we watch it. I tend to perhaps get into things too deeply sometimes but when I have a knee jerk reaction to something I have seen in the show or I have read in the books I try to look inside and find out why it is affecting me the way it is. It’s escapist yes but it also has the potential to take us on an amazing journey of self-discovery if we let it. Popcorn my a**, I think the show and all its story lines are brilliant and I am definately enjoying the ride.

36. vigwig says:

I totally agree Marilyn, people wouldn’t be so passionate about issues like Team Bill/Eric if the show weren’t brilliantly written, acted and produced. Being a romantic, I’ll always be a Bill fan. IMO, Bill is a much more evolved, mature and complex character yet I always enjoy seeing Eric’s strategizing, playfulness with his power and ironic commentary. And they are both gorgeous men, what’s not to like? Speaking of power, the actor portraying Godric is amazing, he has the gravity and presence of a young Daniel Day-Lewis.

Marilyn Reply:

I agree, the portrayal of Godric is amazing, to me he is displaying the knowledge and experience of what I feel in human life would be a 90+ year old person from inside a young and very beautiful body. When I saw his character, as revealed so far on the show, I’ve been reminded of the older people I have known who have been willing to share what they have learned during their life. I’m also can’t help but remember how many of them have felt they have experienced all this life has to offer and are ready to move on and find out what lies beyond. It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

vigwig Reply:

Allan Hyde’s imdb show listing shows Godrick will be in the rest of the season so that’s good news! I hope he survives into Season 3. I read somewhere a fan said “Now True Blood has a vampire like Ghandi!”

cocoablossoms Reply:

that makes me sooo happy. i love him. i said the vampire yoda but i actually prefer the ghandi analogy. i love that the reason i liked him when he first appeared was because he was like this beautiful tribal angel of death and the he reappears as this beautiful enlightened being. love it.

37. CrazyforBill says:

This was a great article. I read the books after I saw the first season of TB. I love Bill, both in the books and on the show. I am greateful to Charlaine for creating such amazing and compelling characters, but I think that the books suffer because Sookie is the narrator, so you only see the other characters when she is interacting with them. I never hated the character of Eric, but lately when I discuss the show with people, they all start dissing Bill, and saying he betrayed and raped Sookie. I think this is utter nonsense, but they are entitled to their opinions. Can’t we just like who we like without tearing down the other guy? Eric was kind of a cool character in the books, and a lovable rogue (I think I was actually the one who said that on another site), but on the show I find him less charming. I love how Alan Ball has filled out the characters of Lafayette, Tara, Sam and Terry and Andy Bellefleur. I am also confident that Sookie and Bill will end up together, both on the show and in the books. This seems to drive some people crazy, and I’m not out to upset anyone, but it’s how I read it. I’m glad to have the books and will keep reading them, but I just can’t believe how incredible the show is. May it continue for a long time!

38. Jane says:

Wouldn’t it be fun to be Sookie, and get to have BILL and ERIC to choose from ? They are so different, each so interesting, not to mention gorgeous, that they keep my eyes glued to the screen. Relax, sit back, watch them, and dream, dream, dream. Stephen and Alex are perfect for their characters. It’s a fantasy folks. Enjoy it! The books are different from the show, and that is a good thing. Bill nad Eric are fabulous in both. The whole show ROCKS! P.S. Dissing an actor for a part he’s playing is rude and ignorant !

39. VeggieTart says:

I don’t mind people who are Team Eric, but I do mind when they harsh on Bill because he lied to Sookie or deceived her or whatever. In both the books and on the show, Eric has been utterly deceptive and manipulative. In the massacre at the Dallas nest (LDID), he had to have known the bullet would pop out, but he tricked Sookie into sucking it so he could get his blood in her. In the show, he calls in Bill’s maker to try to sow trouble between Bill and Sookie so he can move in.

If a vampire has survived for any length of time, s/he has probably done some pretty horrible things and killed for sport. Eric lost his temper and dismembered Royce. He locked people in a basement for committing “offenses” against vampires. I get the sense he doesn’t like humans much.

As Lorena pointed out, they’re vampires, that’s their nature. It’s the rare one who can rise above and reclaim his humanity.

40. Liz says:

Wait. I haven’t read the books. But they are saying Bill raped Sookie in the books? Is that true?

lovelylavendar Reply:

I wouldn’t call it that.. The Eric lovers are saying so but I think it has more to do with being a vampire…He stopped when he realized it was Sookie. It was after she rescued him and they got locked in the trunk of the car, he hadn’t fed for days, Lorena had him held hostage….

Ana (anacla) Reply:

******** SPOILERS ********

He didn’t, not even Sookie thinks it was rape. Alcide is the one who mentions it and she denies it, she says he couldn’t help it because he is a vampire, she defends Bill. If Sookie really felt raped she would never allow Bill to braid her hair hours after the incident (and knowing how Sookie and Bill “first time” began, this means a lot).

I used to love Eric… until I read the nasty things some Eric fans write about Bill.

Kimbel Reply:

I had to think about it again and yes Bill was combing and braiding her hair. He washed and comb her hair often in the books as well as bathe her. I also remember her saying sometimes she thought Bill thought she was his doll. Thanks you brought back my memories on that and I always found that to be very compassionate and bonding with those two.
    However I am glad I don’t see her braiding her hair on True Blood I don’t think I would like to see that. :)

cocoablossoms Reply:

charllaine harris said it wasn’t rape.

wkw Reply:

I’ve always thought of it like a caged, beaten, and starved animal. If you are thrown into a cage with that animal, it is going to smell food and attack. For a vampire, sex is a part of feeding, so Bill was acting on animal instinct. As soon as he realized what he was doing, he stopped. I’ve always thought that spoke more of his character than anything. Imagine how much self control it took to stop. He loved her and the guilt he must have felt for hurting her that way, especially since he knew about Uncle Bartlett…I felt as sorry for Bill as I did for Sookie after that.

41. Anndee says:

Very nice article, but there are some of us out there that aren’t Team Eric, or Team Bill.

I for one am Team Sam.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i love the people who aren’t either team. actually half of the people i know who watch are kinda non bill or eric. some don’t care who she ends up with. i think the average viewer doesn’t either. it’s mostly people like us who go on the forums and bookies who are so passionate about a team. most people just care if it entertains them or not.

Kimbel Reply:

cocoa: I keep asking myself how and why I am so passionate about True Blood and how the characters are portrayed and treated. I can honestly say that cast of True Blood is just awesome and I am just happy I have my HBO Sundays back and with that said I no one better mess with Bill Compton. LOL ( I need to wean myself soon of these forums)

Anndee Reply:

Oh, there are plenty of people that don’t form attachments to characters or relationships and I wish I was one of them. I can’t seem to help myself though.

Kimbel Reply:

I like Sam too and I just want him to get through Season 2 and have a health and safe Season 3. Maybe he should just relax and take time off or just go nude and run in the woods and don’t care what anyone see or think. Yes he is someone I would had consider for Sookie if Bill didn’t walk through the door.

Anndee Reply:

I think that in the end, Sam is the best person for Sookie. However, I’ve never been one to root for the most conventional couples.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i can see sam. but bill would have to be out of the picture, like dead, for that to happen. sookie and bill meeting in merlotte’s said it all. sam almost had his chance but bill took her breath away. even when they break up he will always be on her mind. bill ans sookie are so epic. it would take a tragedy for either of them to completely genuinely move on.

Anndee Reply:

Have you read the books? You may think differently.

cocoablossoms Reply:

have you not read the rest of my comments or caught the vibe of this thread??? sorry don’t mean to sound rude but i’m watching the show not reading the books. by choice, i don’t like the books and can draw conclusions on the show. that is what we are discussing.

Sookie Reply:

This is exactly the thing that we are complaining about. Even Charliane Harris said at comic con that the TB and the books are 2 different entertainments and that she hoped that people would see that and appreciate them both. The video is on utube.

Anndee Reply:

I wasn’t trying to be rude, just giving information.

cocoablossoms Reply:

sorry #1 peeve is people throwing in the “if you read the books” on me. only because i don’t care about the book perspective. i’m basing my conclusions on what i perceive in the show…. no hard feelings. and no offense to you liking sam. i do too. this thread is about everyone accepting preferences. didn’t mean to seem like i’m hating on your ship.

callonmebill Reply:

Anndee, though I am for Bill and will always be, after having read the last book the thought has crossed my mind that Sookie in the very end will be with Sam. CH keeps him around for a reason…….

Anndee Reply:

Wouldn’t you want to keep him around? =P

callonmebill Reply:

Only as a brother if I can have Bill.
    But to explain I would rather have Sookie with Bill, but I feel CH will settle the Bill vs. Eric dilemma by having Sam come out of nowhere and sweep Sookie away. They have always had a sexual chemistry and friendship, and Sam could give her children. I totally hate myself for this analysis because I love Bill, but that’s how I see the books going down.

Anndee Reply:

I’ve seen possible hints of this. I don’t hate Bill, but there’s something about Sam that calls to me. He’s the only suitor that hasn’t been possessive of her.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i see all of that too just from watching the show so far. i have been saying i could see that but i stand by my bill would have to be gone bye bye. how would sookie realistically settle down with a vampire without alteringher own human existence. but i still think bill and sookie are attached to each other and will be throughout the series no matter who else she hooks up with. in the end i see bill and sookie ending tragically. i kind of want that. there love is destined but it’s also star-crossed. i think bill would die for her and it’s quite possible he will. and then she could move on for good. not a popular opinion but i can see that happening. alan isn’t big on happy endings. and tragic romances are my favorite so it would be win for me. bill and sookie are my romeo and juliet.

wkw Reply:

cocoablossoms, I could also see Bill leaving because he sees that Sam could give Sookie the life that he never could; a life with children and growing old together. I don’t think Bill would give her up to anyone else, but I’ve always sensed a level of respect between he and Sam. I think they both would defend her with their lives. So I could see Bill quietly backing down and letting Sookie go. I would sob uncontrollably, but I could see it!

Anndee Reply:

Oh, I agree that Bill would die for her. I enjoy both the books and the show separately, but I think both Bills would die for her, but they can’t truly build a life together.

wkw Reply:

Anndee, I politely disagree. Even though I can see the way clear for Sookie to end up with Sam, or even Quinn so that she can have the life she wants, I could also see her building a life with Bill. If she decides that love is more important than anything, and she can find other outlets for her maternal instincts (as many childless women do) I could see her choosing Bill. To me, that is a love that comes once in a lifetime. It would be challenging, but I think they could make it work.

w.i.w.a. Reply:

This is what I’ve been secretly thinking from the beginning of the show. Sam’s in love with her and Sookie cares a lot about him. It’s the outcome that makes the most sense. The Eric part of the equation just doesn’t make sense in the long term. I adore Bill and Bill loves Sookie so I want them to be together. But Bill is going to lose Sookie forever some day anyway, either to another or to death (I don’t see Sookie ever being turned). But I sure do hope I’m wrong. Stories don’t always end at the end, if you know what I mean. Maybe we’ll get a Bill and Sookie happy ending.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i can see that too. sam was on his way in before bill came in. sam and sookie also had moments last season but it was always halted by bill’s presence. i have always seen sam as the bigger threat than eric in the long run. but bill will either have to die or yes leave sookie knowing he can’t be human enough for her. there is no way for sookie to realistically settle down with a vampire and have the life she wants. i prefer the tragic ending though. i’m gothic like that. then sam could come in to pick up the pieces. maybe like in the finale bill doing something heroic and dying and then the last shot is her and sam having a moment that hints they will be together. really simple like that. ok. can i write the finale alan???

Anndee Reply:

LOL.

I can see where both of you are coming from. I think I enjoy Sam so much and want him on top because he’s the type of guy I would choose to settle down with.

[Reply]

42. This dilemma is never a dilemma for me. BILL AND SOOKIE 4EVER AND EVER AND EVER !!! I have to admit I have a special crush on Stephen Moyer so I am biased but, so what…BILL AND SOOKIE 4EVER !!!

43. Sookie says:

Thank you for that article. So well said.

44. Nancy says:

Well said!This whole ‘team’ thing is reminds me of Twilight silliness.I prefer Bill,but I won’t attack Eric fans becasue of it,right?

45. callonmebill says:

Thank you Kellmeister for the article and your dilemma. Putting in the two standing pictures of Stephen and Alexander, great choices by the way, is most appreciated and allows us to see the predicament you are in.

I have already numerous times stated my preference for Bill, just look at my name, I just want to say thank everyone at the Vault, especially Shadaliza , for having this forum to discuss our favorite show TB where everyone is civil, respectful and nice, with a bit of fun teasing every now and then.

46. Selle says:

My preference between Bill and Eric seems more influenced by the show than the books now that we’re in the second season. In the first season, because of the books and the alluring way mysterious Bill was portrayed, he was hands-down my favorite.

But this season, Bill is portrayed in ways I find unattractive quite often, whereas Eric is portrayed as beautiful, sexy, interesting, and fun to watch, so Eric is my favorite.

I believe the show writers kind of skim the surface as to the books’ Bill and Eric qualities, so Bill is different in the show, more dramatically loyal and more intensely moody and morose, at least that’s how I see it. Eric seems more sneaky in the show than in the books, and he also seems more interested in Sookie at this point than in the books.

Gotta love it, s’all good.

cocoablossoms Reply:

i’m still not digging eric this season. i liked him in the earlier episodes but him fawning over godric and his manipulations are turning me off. i think jason has been the most interesting character this season….

anyways much to my chagrin i have to agree with what you are saying about bill. he is still my favorite and the main reason i tune in each week. but i keep hoping to see more of what sucked us into him last season. stephen does great with whatever material they give him and they have given him some great moments, but i feel they are not giving him enough interesting twists. i know they had to show him and sookie developing a real relationship which yes can appear boring at times. i miss the mystery and sensuality he had last season. i also miss him being sexually aggressive. the first episode showed that but it’s been kind of hit or miss since then. i’ve liked sookie stepping up too but we havent seen them really go at it passionately as much. his character has the most complexity to me but they aren’t showing that so much this season. so if other fans are becoming disinterested i can see why. i’m really loyal though and he is my main priority even through the bad times.

lovelylavendar Reply:

Thats interesting that you bring that up, the sex…it has been kinda mellow in that department…..The reason I am thinking is because of the supposed upcoming triangle….but maybe not, hard to say. Maybe we will get rewarded at the end of the season…..and I mean with Bill and Sookie.

47. Stella says:

As dull as it may sound, I just like True Blood…

To each their own and since they now have more similar airtime, you’ll have to deal with them both…

Great subject though, too bad moderation has to be done…

48. Alison says:

I really liked reading that and also had a giggle at the t-shirt. I have to say I’m a Team Eric girl who happens to like show Bill despite myself, due in large part to how much I love Stephen Moyer in interviews and show moments when he doesn’t have weird hair. I’ll still take Eric in print or on screen, over Bill, however, and preferrably in a manly tank top. Thanks for voicing your opinion, though!

49. Cherrybug says:

This was a very well done article, Kellmeister! Good job.

I am totally Bill all the way, and it’s all because of Stephen Moyer. I was completely and totally hooked from the moment I saw him walk in and sit down at Merlotte’s. He is the only reason I became a True Blood fan and the only reason I will watch the show to the end. Stephen is a gorgeous, sexy, charismatic, funny and talented man who…as Bill Compton…literally took the breath right out of me.
    I have not read the books…but I did check the first one out at the library just to see what it was like and read as far as the description of Vampire Bill which Stephen fit to a perfect T. I have no intention of reading the books and I resent being told that I would ‘feel differently if I read the books’. That is one of my complaints…..and I don’t understand why there had to be a competition between Bill and Eric to begin with. I am sick to death of “polls” and comparisons between them being stirred up when mostly it just stirs up people’s anger/frustration. People like who they like.
    It’s when I started reading rude, hateful comments about Stephen and Anna and their personal relationship and how it was affecting the way the show was being written (wrong, IMO) and how they are ‘pushing for their characters to stay together (also wrong) that I really began to dislike the Eric character. Things like how Stephen was going to be jealous when Anna started doing scenes with AS. Just stupid stuff IMO. Stephen said himself that he knows they have to be apart to create drama. But yet, he is still being bashed for falling in love…they both are…even though they both said that they kept it hidden as long as possible to keep those kinds of comments from being made about them and their relationship. I have stopped reading threads on sites that I know are going to contain such junk, and trying to just go into threads that I know won’t raise my blood pressure.
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to write a novel. I was supposed to just comment on your article. It’s really good, well thought out.

w.i.w.a. Reply:

I could have written this myself, except I did finish the first book. It didn’t do it for me, though, so I stopped there. Want to see where the show is going instead.

As to the nasty stuff on the web – anonymity is a powerful thing. So sad for our society.

50. lani says:

Funny article…I like it…Well, like I’ve said, many-many-many..fine times before, OMG!! For me, It has and will always be…Bill…He is just????!!! Ya know….Now Eric..He is a hottie vampire, too…But, ya’ll know I got it bad for Bill….and that aint good…Well, yeah it is pretty good….If you get my drift?!

51. maycomb says:

Thanks for the great article, and so many interesting comments! I have to throw my 2 cents in just because I feel strongly about this also. I’ll start out by saying I am madly in love with Bill. It wasn’t love at first sight; when he first appeared at Merlotte’s I thought, ew, this guy isn’t supposed to be some kind of love interest is he? What a creep. (Obviously I haven’t read the books–once “True Blood” hooked me, I decided reading them would ruin this great show for me, so I will read them only after the show was ended.) But Bill Compton had me at “May I call on you sometime?” The more I learned about Bill, the more I loved him. His growing devotion to Sookie was just so romantic and irresistible to me. Now the thought of seeing him sad or hurt just breaks my heart, so yeah, Eric gets on my nerves. But of course Eric is a great character and no doubt Alan Ball has great plans for him, but at this point it is hard to see how our sweet, wholesome Sookie could fall for him. He’d have to become a completely different character. So far all he has shown us is selfishness, wanton cruelty toward humans, and a snarky sense of humor–and yes, a tall, fit body. Fun to watch, but as a love interest for Sookie? Really? The only humanity we’ve seen him show is toward Godric. And even there it seems he doesn’t share Godric’s ultra-reasonable sensibility about humans and life in general. Maybe he will take a little of that on?

This week, just seeing Sookie have an erotic dream about Eric broke my heart. Sure, it’s just a TV show and I shouldn’t lose perspective. But that’s how GOOD a TV show it is. I can’t remember the last time a show was full of characters I had such affection for. Not just Bill, but Sookie, dear Sam, Jason (this season–last season he made me tear my hair out), Tara, Lafayette, Gran (aw, poor Gran!), even Rene–how lovable was he before we knew his real story? Not to mention sweet ol’ Hoyt, Terry AND Andy Bellefleur. And even Jessica, who I started out thinking I was going to hate. The fact that we’re all so emotionally involved just shows how well written and expertly acted “True Blood” is. There’s nothing like it, in my opinion.

I agree with those who say it is stupid (and beyond) for anyone to criticise the actors because of the parts they play. It’s probably just as stupid for us to get crushes on those actors for the same reason, but hey, we’re only human after all–haha.

So as a Bill lover, I will keep watching even if Alan Ball breaks my heart (something we can pretty much count on him doing in one way or another)–I will still enjoy all the crazy happenings around Bon Temps and keep rooting for the characters I have come to know and love. Bring on the creatures, the black humor, the sex, the romance, and all the fun. And I will keep hoping that Bill and Sookie somehow, some way, some day end up together in whatever semblance of happiness can be found for a loving, loyal vampire and an old-fashioned, telepathic waitress who curses only when someone makes her really mad. Long live Bon Temps!

Vanessa18 Reply:

Why are you hating on Eric? I like Bill, but even Godric is hotter then Bill. Eric is awesome!!!

Deb Reply:

Last season I was firmly on “team Bill” and although I thought Eric was completely yummy, I didn’t want anything to come between Sookie and Eric. Then in S2E8, in the space of one scene I switched to Team Eric. Completely and wholeheartedly. I had already begun to get annoyed with Bill this season. That whole “tortured soul” and apologetic air about him just grates my nerves. It reminds me of Louis in “Interview With A Vampire” and I just wanted to smack him. You are a vampire dammit, EMBRACE IT and for heaven’s sake ACT like it!!
    Eric does this, he does not apologize for who he is.He enjoys his (undead) life and it shows. When he leaned over and told Sookie to “trust me” and then was willing to offer himself to save Godric and Sookie, it showed there was more to him then then the selfish, egotistical vamp then we realized.. I converted then and there.
    Bill has become annoying, his continued jealousy and warnings to Eric shows he sees him as a viable threat (good). Honestly, I’m to the point I wish someone would just stake him and get it over with.

AB Reply:

I totally agree with you! I am a Bill fan and I have read the books aswell as seeing the series. I couldn’t believe the twist in book 4 (I think, sorry if I’m wrong, I haven’t read the books in a while) and then I started to hate Bill but near the end of book 9 I forgave him and now I think he truly loved her (Sookie) and even if the twist hadn’t happened, they wouldv’ve still ended up in love together! :)

52. Vanessa18 says:

I love Bill, but he doesn’t compare to Eric. Quite frankly I find Bill to be a little old. Eric is perfect, blond hair, blue eyes, buff, sexy accent, he’s the complete package. He’s a total bad ass. Eric Northman is True Blood.

w.i.w.a. Reply:

You should see Stephen in the Starter Wife. Blond hair, blue eyes, buff & tan, sexy accent (well, depending on where you live, that’s not how people around me talk).
    Bill is all those things too, minus the blond hair. The show keeps him covered up with bad makeup. The old thing, that’s relative. And in a few short years Alex will be that age, will he be no good then too?

53. maycomb says:

Um, pretty sure I wasn’t “hating on” anyone–just stating my opinion that Eric’s character will need some major rehabilitation before he makes a believable love interest for Sookie. You proved my point by describing how attractive he is. So far that’s all he has going for him, and that’s not enough to make us believe Sookie would fall for him. But I have faith that in Alan Ball’s hands, when it happens, it will all make sense. Even if I don’t like it.

54. Nene says:

As a fan of the books and the series, I love the tension the Bill-Sookie-Eric triangle (sandwich?) creates. I love that the series takes elements from the book but changes it around to give you a whole new twist on the characters. The vision that the creators and writers of the show saw in developing such minor characters from the books such as Eggs, Rene, and Hoyt is incredible. Also, the TV series makes Jason much more that a one-dimensional character than the book. Also, the should redevelop the whole Sam/Tara thing. Loved that! Plus they have so many other characters to develop: Arlene, Jessica, Pam. This is a GREAT show!

Now, what I would like to see in the next season of True Blood is a totally new love interest created for Eric. (Bill can have Sookie-she’s annoying anyway!) The new character would be a part vamp/part fae/part human telepath, who is also telekinetic. She would help Sookie in all of her adventures, while she searches for answers about what she is and how she was created and who her parents are. She could be some mysterious blood relation to Sookie.

She should also have at least 5 love scenes an episode with Alex. I mean Eric! (which would require many private rehearsals!)

Most importantly, the character should be played by ME!

55. smluvr says:

I love the romance between Bill and Sookie, I love seeing them together; takes my mind off my daily routine. I don’t like the Eric character and it breaks my heart to see him come between Bill and Sookie. I know that is the way the books read but I am hoping that we get to see continued romance between Bill/Sookie, the chemistry between them is the main reason I watch the show. Not to mention; just looking at Stephen Moyer makes me smile….REALLY big! Ahhhhhhh

56. bill fans says:

Alan Ball, please bring Sookie and Bill together in final. Please also change bill’s look like season 1 E1 or E2

Sany666 Reply:

apparently you never read the book, right? besides Eric it’s much more interesting than Bill. All that “Sookie” thing from Biill is annoying… Eric is dangerous, totally hot and will find himself out in love soon… better than this will never be…

57. Deb says:

58. Kat says:

First of all I am team Eric all the way. I have read the books after season one and fell totally in love. Alex Skarsgard is perfect as Eric and as the season progresses we are seeing more and more of the book Eric flair seep out. Eric’s humor and fierce loyalty is what makes him so attractive…as if he needed anything to help him on that front.

I am so relieved that they are starting the love triangle now. Sookie has so much more chemistry with Eric than she ever did with Bill…their scenes are so stagnant to me…too mushy and gushy and totally unbelievable. The show tries to glorify Bill as this tragic hero who is trying to “mainstream” but if the show follows the books we will see that he also has a hidden agenda in his pursuit of sookie which is beyond dishonorable.

But even if the show does not go that route, I think that the Bill/Sookie relationship needs to be shook up…it is boring to say the least, they need some distraction and Sookie needs to wake up and smell the coffee..
    I mean Bill feeds her the line that only after having Eric’s blood she will feel attracted to him sexually and that is the real danger…Uh, well Bill you gave Sookie your blood too…on numerous occasions, the first time prior to your first sexcapades…could this be why she so willingly gave up her 25 year virginity so quickly…to someone she hardly knew?? The fact that Bill made the blood exchange out to be so bad on Eric’s part but failed to see that he also implicated himself was ridiculous…Come on Sookie wake up…Bill is a vampire too. Talk about a sucker!! lOl
    But, I also love the Bill character when he is with Lorena…he was so much more interesting and less whiny. He acted like a vampire and he was good at it. Stephen Moyer plays evil really well, I liked him so much better in the flashback scene and he is an awesome singer. Bill really needs to shed the mainstreaming act and start acting like he did in the 1920′s…he actually had a personality then. anyway these are just my opinions and everyone has one.

59. Vitalia says:

Hello All!
    i am totally pro Bill!!!
    He is so charming, caring and actually has “human feelings”. i believe that he deeply cares for Sookie and loves her. He is HOT!Hot! Hot!!!!!! and not that old at all as someone mentioned previously!!! He looks just great!!! :*

i think they look great together with Sookie!!! perfect couple!!!

Eric is just so selfish… All he cares for is to take Sookie to himself from Bill…. If eveyone remembers he all the time wonders why Bill wants her so much? why he wants to keep her to himself? …. selfish, i do not see that he can relly care for anyone.especially Sookie. She has very high moral standards and cannot be happy with a guy like Eric! Film character is very “dull” – actually Eric in books is much more attractive!!!

So in conclusion: Go Bill and Sookie!!!
    i hope that Allan Ball will change the ending… so that they can stay together!!!!! as they should!

Kat Reply:

She has very high moral standards and cannot be happy with a guy like Eric!

Well if this is true then she should definitely NOT be with Bill, he has lied about his true intentions to woo her, being sent by the queen and has habitually been SELFISH with his need to keep her by his side so that he can fulfill his mission for his queen, he then leaves her for his maker, cheats on her and then RAPES her after she risks life and limb to save his sorry butt, so if those are the HIGH MORAL standards you are speaking of them I will take Eric and his winsome ways anyday of the week for a suitor for Sookie….their chemistry is undeniable

And it is about what SOOKIE needs not what you or I would prefer, but what a character in a book or tv show should need…and as far as that goes ERic is the winner by far.

na Reply:

any vampire who would walk out in the mid daylight to atempt to save sookie is the winner. Go Bill

Kat Reply:

That would be a very STUPID vampire to walk out in the daylight since he was NO help at all in rescuing her….what an idiot. All he did was try to martyr himself for some pity sex since she threw him out of her house the night before for acting like the jerk that he is. Talk about manipulative. He didn’t do the sunlight stunt for Sookie, he did it for himself in order to get back in her good graces…I mean come on….he knew he would burn up and be powerless and that of course she would save him once again. Puh-leeeeze.

Vash-chan Reply:

Where’s the proof that Bill wanted to do the sunlight stunt in order to get back with Sookie? Name the scene because I’m actually rusty.

60. Theresa says:

I am on team Eric all the way. He is a much better match for Sookie. He has a sense of humor and I just love it. I hope AB sticks to the book on that end but will probably continue to watch even if that does not play out. I am thinking maybe there will be more of a relationship between Queen Sophie and Bill than the book plays out. We shall see. I so hope the Eric Sookie relationship becomes more than just dream sequences.

61. carol says:

Team Sam all the way … but Alicide may be the one!

In the books, I think she will end up with a regular breather …. Sam, Alicide or Quinn.

On the show, it totally appears Sam is being presented as her ideal partner – nice to kids, selfless, loyal, brave, etc. by AB.

Can’t stand the idea of a vamp for her or ever for myself!

62. kara says:

It’s not so much about who’s got the looks, both Bill and Eric are gorgeous.It’s not about who’s more true to their Vampire nature, that’s just a matter of self discipline. To me the true question is who will provide the ultimate enduring bliss for Sookie. There is no doubt in my mind that it must be Bill.

His eternal devotion, the kind where you give up everything and anything for someone you truly love gives you hope that in love there is the real possibility of achieving an existence together that is greater than the sum of the two individuals.

Eric is a good time and yes Sookie deserves her wicked fun. It makes life interesting but it’s temporary and shallow compared to the deep joy of being together in every sense with someone who loves you.

Just got to add Bill Compton is unbearably BEAUTIFUL!

63. Sammy says:

To me the biggest difference between Bill and Eric…Bill did not choose to be a vampire,Lorena waited for the “honorable” man to drop in to visit before she chose Bill. She lied to Bill, and took his life. Eric was dying..Godric saved him..and Eric loves his maker to this day, Bill was led down a terrible path and finally made his break and has tried to live a decent life, and atone for his past. Yes, he is a tortured vampire, what of it? Eric has lived for over 1000 years and loves his life as boring as it is, Bill is still a youngster. Honestly I don’t think Sookie should end up with any vampire…a supe of some kind, but just don’t see the vamp lifestyle working for her.
    That said, still can’t understand bookwise, why the heck Eric would even be interested in Sookie, let alone series wise…and I love my Sooks.

64. AB says:

Team Bill all the way! Read the books and seen the series as well and nothing can change my views. Sookie and Bill are so perfect for each other and I hope Eric doesn’t worm his way between them!

65. Kyra says:

Waitt…when did bill rape sookie? I guess that was in the books. I’m on team bill because him and sookie are very cute together. Eric is cute but he should be with someone else. Haha that would be funny if he went together with pam.

66. amber says:

In all honesty, I’m Team Eric. I don’t hate Bill, but Eric is the only one I’d let bite me. ;-) I wouldn’t necessarily like to see him with Sookie (unless it gets him more face time), but I’d love to keep seeing him mostly nekkid.

:) Great post.

67. zina says:

biil you are the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1i love you and i will marriaged you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!