QUINNtessential True Blood: Does Quinn deserve a place in the show?

Posted by Lisa Eden On January - 28 - 2012131 COMMENTS

As season five of HBO’s True Blood fast approaches, fans of the Sookie Stackhouse novels are left speculating over who will play the most integral role of John Quinn.  Key characters within the books have emerged over the first four seasons of the hit television series however True Blood creators have remained tight lipped about Quinn, leaving fans to question whether it is essential to have him included in the on screen storyline.

Depiction of John Quinn the Weretiger from the Southern Vampire Mysteries
aka the Sookie Stackhouse novels. by Cogdis - cogdis.deviantart.com

John Quinn first meets Sookie in Dead as a Doornail, book five of the series. Quinn co-owns the Extremely Elegant Events Company or EEE that focuses specifically on weddings, rituals, competitions and the likes for the supernatural community. It is during one of these events that Sookie observes a profound ire of respect centering on Quinn which has her intrigued. Quinn’s torturous past enviably catches up with him in Altogether Dead, book 7, and Sookie finds herself again having to make heartbreaking choices that would seal their fate as a couple. Author and creator Charlaine Harris devoted five out of 12 books in the series towards the ebbs and flows of the somewhat condemned relationship. Harris describes Quinn as a large 6ft5, olive skinned, purple eyed, bald headed man with a strong resemblance to a wrestler, sounds dreamy. But is this relationship of value to the writers of True Blood the Show as much as it is for the storyline in the books?

It is widely agreed amongst fans of the books that Sookies relationship with Quinn wasn’t their most memorable. A close friend of mine stated that Quinn is quite “annoying” especially the constant usage of the word “Babe”. The fact that he is a Were does not seem to pacify the ‘anti-Quinn’ crowd because it is more than likely they have already allied themselves with one of Stackhouse’s other suitors, namely Eric, Bill, Sam or Alcide. This kind of fandom allegiance is not easy to embark on when you are the Director of a high ranking show where by on screen relationships will either work for or against ratings.

The simple truth remains that television writers of True Blood will evidently use what they feel necessary to enhance and empower the lead characters they have presently on screen, regardless of who is or is not in the books. Characters such as Jessica and Jesus are not in the novels however make for interesting viewing on screen. Actor Stephen Moyer who plays Bill Compton in the series explains in a 2009 interview with EW reporter Michael Ausiello, “It’s important that fans of the books will always be taken into consideration but I was told that only 5% of readers are the actual television audience” This statistic is somewhat alarming considering the reason for the show even coming to light was due to the novels popularity on a global scale. Undeniably fans of the books want to see Charlaine’s work displayed in epic proportion and in 2009 Director Alan Ball explained during a panel interview at the Paley Fest how he is “compelled to the spirit of [Charlaine’s] books” and is trying to “balance between the fans of the books and parts of the story that really works and giving some surprises” and let’s face it if we already knew what was ahead would we really be as interested as Ball would hope?

It is easy to condemn a character like Quinn based on eligibility however when adhering to the “spirit” of the novels it cannot be denied that John Quinn is indeed a strong contender in Sookies world of True blood based on his supernatural abilities. It is more natural for Sookie to be in a relationship with a Supe than human because she is unable to hear their thoughts. Another factor is that the mere presence of Quinn commands respect, loyalty amongst his counterparts which has not yet been touched by any other character on the television show. It could be argued that Eric Northman dominated as a cool collector of respect amongst his minions of area five however in the books Quinn was admired for his distinctive courage and talent more so than feared. There is also the reoccurring fact that Sookie has had a bad run of relationships, Bill, Eric, Sam, Alcide which could allow for the respectable Mr Quinn and Sookie to build an on screen chemistry.

Alan Ball has continuously looked for an element of surprise for the fans of both the books and TV show wanting to steer it into the unknown. Quinn is well known amongst fans of the books therefore I believe he will appear at some stage on screen. The element of surprise will be how much attention and affection Ball will show to this particular character, casting, scripting etc. the simple techniques that pull us all in and leave us captivated as the story unravels. The perfect time for Quinn to appear is season five because at the end of season four we saw a heart broken but determined Sookie this is a perfect opening for John Quinn to make a quintessential entrance. I believe Ball is keeping Quinn hidden so that the audience will remain ever hopeful for Eric, Bill or Alcide to be paired with Sookie, and to twist a frenzy amongst fans of the books, then when you least expect it BANG! In True Blood style we are faced with the illustrious purple eyed wrestler.

In the Sookie Stackhouse novels, John Quinn is perfectly placed amongst four other suitors aiming for Sookies heart, how lucky she is! And to say he is nothing more than eye candy for the storyline you are misinformed, he has a place and a purpose it’s whether or not True Blood creators feel it necessary to embark on such a risk. I hope they do, I feel if they choose to omit Quinn then they are doing a huge injustice to five of the 12 books. Sookie needs to progress and develop and Quinn provides her with so much more than topless moments of joy hidden underneath shiny outfits. In times of uncertainty I soak in the words of Charlaine Harris for comfort, guidance, “I chose Alan Ball to bring the Sookie books to the screen because I trust his vision, and I am sure he will be true to the spirit of the books. I am delighted with the talented cast, Alan’s scripts and direction, and the look and feel of the production.

As season five release date draws near, fingers, fangs and paws are crossed that it is everything we would ever hope for, well, another seven seasons would be excellent, here’s to hope!

What do you think? Should Quinn be a part of True Blood? Post your opinion in the comments.

Lisa Eden is a mother of four from the beautiful country New Zealand. She is a big fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris and her favorite sups are the werewolves. Lisa is currently working on her first paranormal urban romance novel.

Resources for Quotes
The Southern Vampire Mysteries Character List – Wikipedia
Entertainment Weekly- Michael Ausiello – Comic Con interview 2009 – True Blood cast love triangle
True Blood Panel at Paley Fest 2009
Charlaine Harris Quote

The articles of our guest writers represent only the opinion of the writers and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the owners of TrueBlood-Online.com. We find it important to give space to the different points of view of the great variety of True Blood fans and the editorials of the guest writers are the perfect tool for that. We safeguard that the articles are in agreement with our policy.

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-1607175887327377"
data-ad-slot="2898711400">

Share with your friends
Facebook Twitter Plusone Pinterest Tumblr Stumbleupon Reddit Digg Email

131 Responses to “QUINNtessential True Blood: Does Quinn deserve a place in the show?”

1. Yes!!!

I agree :)

Julie Reply:

Yes he does but they’re now casting ANOTHER lover for sookie (a fairy). Why won’t they cast Quinn instead? Doesn’t make sense. Such a good story line. There are a few good options (Big Ewwww to Vin Diesel- not attactive enough). Not sure about his acting chops but William Levy (Guiterrez?) is beautiful enough (and would look good bald!) .

2. highbrew says:

No. He was annoying in the books and Sookie has more than enough suitors as it is.

Lisa Eden Reply:

she is one lucky lady ;)

3. Cheryl via Facebook says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO. Quinn was simply convoluted fluff with which she needed to fill pages. Dear Godric, no.

Lisa Eden Reply:

your last comment made me smile love it ;)

[Reply]

4. I will accept him…if they cast Jason Momoa…

;) mmm great idea

txophelia Reply:

TOTALLY agree! Of course, if they can get Vin Diesel (as Harris models Quinn after), I’d be happy too. :-D

I somewhat understand them leaving out Bubba for obvious reasons, but they HAVE to include Quinn! He’s one of the only other supes who stands up to Eric. It’s vital to the ending of the novels–he comes around toward the end, but Eric claims ownership of Sookie, so Quinn can’t have her.

I hope they don’t cast some unknown guy who’s not worthy of the part–of course, they’ve done pretty well so far.

5. Suzie via Facebook says:

;) awesome

6. Definatly NO!!!!

are you sure? why?

7. Willkill4Bill says:

Nicely done Lisa. I am of the opinion that we should be spared the second hand embarrassment of the character Quinn. He induces a lot of eye rolling and and Tourette type outburst of “you have be kidding me’.

If I recall correctly Ms. Harris has said she had Vin Diesel in mind while creating Quinn so what does say? Chuckling and backing away from the keyboard.

AB please do not inflict Quinn on us I beg of you.

Thankyou,

I appreciate your input I would also love to hear Charlaine saying that I haven’t heard it before??

8. “Dear Godric, no….” hahahaha!!! love it! XOV

9. Rowena says:

Well done, Lisa. Nicely researched. I could handily skip Quinn. He is one of my least favorite characters from the books. We have Bill, Eric and Alcide in the picture as suitors. Even though Sookie told her vamps that she wants to go it alone for now, I am by no means counting them out. I think three is plenty.

Thankyou Rowena,
    remember we are dealing with a supernatural storyline so perhaps Sookie is more than capable of handling a little more than three men?

10. vickic says:

Quinn needs to be included. Sookie needed this relationship. It helped her grow.

Lisa Eden Reply:

I couldn’t agree more thanks for commenting ;)

11. Mimi says:

I don`t know I kind of liked Quinn…at the beggining. However, I think introducing this character in season 5 would be a bad idea. Sookie`s love life is complicated enough as it is. Maybe later in the series? Also adding Quinn doesn`t mean making him a love interest. He could just be an annoyingly flirty weretiger or something…The only thing I ask is that Vin Diesel never, never, never appears on True Blood, especially not as John Quinn.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Season five we will more than likely see a broken hearted Sookie,

Quinn could offer her the relief she so desperately yearns for?

Mimi Reply:

In the books he breaks her heart anyways. I don’t think that would bring much relief.
    Like I said, I loved Quinn when he wasn’t being a jackass but I think it’s too soon for Sookie. She needs time on her own to ponder the fact that she lost the men she loves (by that I mean pushing Eric away…such a shame).
    I think he should be introduced later, to give him the attention he deserves without being caught up in all Sookie’s boy problems.
    By the way. I loved the article: very in depth analysis, great insight. Bravo.

Thankyou Mimi ;)

Great points to consider, I love the idea of ‘giving him the right attention he deserves’ Fantastic!

txophelia Reply:

It also looks like they’re gonna have a little Alcide/Sookie action in the next season. Alan Ball and Joe Manganiello hinted at this in interviews.

I’m ready for Alcide to grow a pair and for Quinn to come in and shake things up too. :-)

12. cassym says:

I really dispute the statement that CH dedicated 5 books to this relationship.All in all Sookie and Quinn haven’t actually had that much page time when they were together. Eric was very much in the picture as well during all this supposed Quinn time, and to a lesser extent Sam. The dynamics of Sookie’s relationship with Eric have now changed on the show with the writers already giving Eric his memories back. With probably only 2 season left they need to get on with the main Sookie and Eric relationship of the books. This is already on limited time due to so much of TB being devoted to Sookie and Bill.If Quinn stood a chance of being Sookie’s HEA I could see why they might feel the need to bring him in, but after STW he can be discounted, so I’m quite happy to sacrifice his presence so the already established characters can move on and finish the story.

Thanks for your comment,

Sookie has spent a large majority of time with Bill and yes it will take some juggling to incorporate a well rounded storyline.

I am super excited to see how they do this ;)

13. Chelsea says:

Nicely said Lisa!
    I fully agree with this post, although Quinn wasn’t my fav character in the books, Sookie still had a connection with him for a while and I feel like it is important to have him in the tv series. I understand that when they create tv shows based on books then they’re going to change some things around, but I feel like the writers have changed TOO much, a lot of us dedicated fans of Charlaines books are feeling a little ripped off from these changes

Thankyou Chelsea ;)

Cindy Reply:

I agree 100%…the books are way better, the tv series is becoming a bit of a let down…. I personally Love Quinn’s character… He needs to be in the show….

[Reply]

14. yes! because after dating quinn, sookie realised she wants to be with eric!

kylie Reply:

like, like, like!!! hahaha

Lisa Eden Reply:

Progress is very important for our beloved Sookie ;)

Susanna Reply:

Sookie realised she wants to be with Eric because she was full of Eric’s blood and blodbonded, although she hatatde it … Then Eric married Sookie without her knowledge. .. lol ..

Sookie has left Quinn because she does not want a man with “backpacks” of the mast on his back. in Quinn’s case, it was his family. Sookie wants to be number one for her husband. Instead, she is agitated with a vampir with thousands of “backpacks” on his back, that only gets problems for Sookie, and Sookie do not see him in weeks, depending on how busy he is. Congratulations Sookie! God, what a relational career!

15. Iryne via Facebook says:

HELL YA!!! AB is already deviating from da books. Quinn needs to b casted.

;) luv it

16. Barbara via Facebook says:

While it would be interesting to see the EEE doing supe events on the show I could do without the character of Quinn. The show already has great characters. (that need more developing)

Lisa Eden Reply:

The EEE would be awesome wouldn’t it! ;)

17. kylie says:

You’ve made some very good points Lisa.
    Personally though the character of Quinn was not one of my favorites but I think that Sookie needed a break from the whole Bill/ Eric/ Alcide dramas and Quinn was a necessary distraction for her. I don’t know how essential he is in the TB storyline but I feel it would be a shame to leave him out altogether. If nothing else he adds another dimension to the supernatural world.
    And you never know maybe Vin Diesel has been cast as Quinn and that’s why it’s so hush hush ;)

;) thankyou

18. Julia says:

OMG YES!!! Quinn is actually one of my Fave characters! So much so that if one of the twins I just had was going to be a boy his name would be Quinn!! And i think it would be amazing if they got Vin Deisel to play him since alot of the big movie stars are now doing TV.

aww how sweet ;) and I agree Quinn is one of my favourite too

kylie Reply:

OMG Quinn was the other name i had picked out for hunter.

19. Only Way That Matters says:

Agreed cassym. I also question the statement that five books were dedicated to this relationship. Quinn appeared in book 5, his relationship with Sookie was finished by the end of book 6. While he appeared in Books 7, 8, and 9 his appearance in each was brief, he was hardly her love interest nor were they in a “relationship”.

Have long given up on the idea that the show will ever give Eric and Sookie their due, or tell Sookie’s story over Bill’s – there’s probably two seasons left. Luckily I still have the books which I continue to love. This show has become so far removed from them that I am no longer interested. Surmising that Quinn will be/should be introduced just because he was in the books is a pretty big leap of faith at this point. There’s a lot in the books that Ball didn’t deem worthy of inclusion.

The response to S4 proves it’s his loss though.

skargasmic Reply:

No Quinn, I did not like him in the books and I am positive I would not like him in the show either. Quinn was really a non-issue at the end of book 6. The only real suitor for Sookie after book 4 was Eric. Bill, Sam, Quinn and Alcide were not even in her mind as boyfriend material anymore.

@ “It is more natural for Sookie to be in a relationship with a Supe than human because she is unable to hear their thoughts”

In the books, that is true but not for True Blood as in she hears Alcide’s thoughts.

kylie Reply:

i just have to say that i love your name. also i agree that Eric is the only real suitor left for Sookie.

skargasmic Reply:

Thank you! Thank God for the books because Alan Ball’s interpretation does my head in! :D

Lisa Eden Reply:

Thankyou for your comment and yes I agree it is a huge leap of faith at this point on whether the creators will include Quinn but I am ever hopefull ;)

Michelle Reply:

I just got finished reading book 7, and they had sex, and she was missing him at the end. So, I dont think he was a non issue at the end of book 6. I loved him, and I wished they would stay together. I was all for Alcide, but he is wishy washy from what I read so far.

[Reply]

20. I’m over guys pining over Sookie. We don’t need Quinn.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Sookie is very lucky isn’t she?

21. HelenaHandbasket says:

I also question that CH ‘devoted 5 of 12 books to Quinn’
    Quinn, imo, had very little impact in the novels.

Quinn was NEVER out of Eric’s shadow in ANY of the books.
    Sookie spent very little time with Quinn. When she did, it was while Eric had no memories of his time with Sookie while cursed, and she was carrying those memories alone.
    On True Blood Eric’s memories have already been restored.
    I see no reason for the inclusion of him on the show. JMO

Thankyou HelenaHandbasket for your comment,

Quinn has a purpose and in my opinion it is to stablise Sookie in her hour of need. She has a broken heart and is torn on the tv show, why not have a super hero like Quinn come in and rescue her?

Only Way That Matters Reply:

Why not have her rescue herself? Why does she need to be rescued from her broken heart by another man?

There’s a radical idea for Mr Ball to choke on.

As a book fan, I find the idea of Sookie being some helpless damsel in distress in constant need of rescue by a man to be completely revolting, actually. Sookie is nothing like this. After finding out about Bill’s agenda in the books, Sookie crawls out of her hospital bed and marches her fine self home. Alone. She is hardly sitting around crying waiting for Quinn to come and make it all better.

This is the Sookie I want to see.

22. Laffyneric says:

Ah no…not Mr Clean look a like Quinn with his genie pants,ugh.hell no.

Lisa Eden Reply:

It works for some of us ;)

Laffyneric Reply:

Power to you;)

[Reply]

23. yes Quinn should be brought in he is an essential part for Sookie, he is the only Human that she ever gets close with sexually, i think he is a needed character..

Lisa Eden Reply:

‘he is the only human that she ever gets close with sexually’

This comment has me stumped can you explain?

skargasmic Reply:

I believe she meant he is the only “alive” human she ever had sex with in the book series (it only happened once). He really was just a rebound guy from Eric and her chance to try and live a real life with a guy who was mostly human. She knew it would not work.

24. slave4sookie says:

The Trueblood writers have already heavily borrowed from the Quinn storyline by the Sam’s brother, Tommy in the dog fighting ring line
    (not a favorite in most viewers’ minds!) When they reach into later books to do that (as in making Godric Eric’s maker) it keeps them from doing Charlaine justice with the book characters. We don’t need Quinn on Trueblood, just a swing back to more of a balanced view of the spirit of her work. Personally, there is very little excitement in most dedicated fans that we know about any chance to be really immersed in Season 5. Alan Ball has probably already jumped the proverbial shark with Sookie’s line to Eric, “It was unforgettable, but it’s over now.” WTF?! scream fans who have actually read all 11 books.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Yes I thought of Quinn as well when I saw the Dog fights great analysis and great food for thought ;)

highbrew Reply:

“Personally, there is very little excitement in most dedicated fans that we know about any chance to be really immersed in Season 5.”

Speak for yourself. Personally, I can’t wait for Season 5.

highbrew Reply:

And yes, I have read all 11 books.

blackarrowpro Reply:

And that’s why he said ‘personally’. Because he was speaking for himself. Duh.

PERSONALLY, I don’t mind if Quinn is introduced in the TV series or not. For me, watching Alan Ball’s version is almost like reading a whole new stack of Stackhouse books – I read all eleven books so fast, I had to re-read them again to stop from being bored waiting for number 12. Watching the television series is so different from the books – I’m looking forward to the little surprises that Alan has created, whether they are faithful to the books or not.

I loathe to see Vin Diesel on True Blood, though. It would be as sacreligous as casting Kristen Stewart in this series…

25. Ian Bourne says:

Why not Vin Diesel or the dude from Old Spice? Make it really interesting!

26. Ian Bourne says:

Very well deliberated, plus, I am one of the 5% who both read and watch…

Thankyou Ian ;)

27. AphroditeMF says:

Firstly, great job Lisa, well done for becoming a guest writer!

Secondly, that painting of Quinn is phenomenal, major props to the artist.

On to Quinn… I found him somewhat irritating in the books, and most definitely did not find the physical descriptions of him to be sexually appealing. I think that there are already way too many alpha males trying to woo the Sookster, and to add an even taller, even more muscular guy to the mix would look ridiculous.

However, I really like the idea of a supernatural events co-ordinator/referee. So here’s what I’d do – make Quinn gay, and Lafayette can date him. How fabulous would that be?

And if Jason Momoa can play him, I will be very happy indeed. There aren’t many actors of those proportions, and as an added bonus Jason can genuinely act, as proven when he gave depth to what could have been a one-dimensional role in Game of Thrones.

Thankyou so much ;)

What an interesting idea.

‘Lafayette and Quinn’ is better than no Quinn ;)

28. Lisa Eden says:

Firstly I want to thank The Vault crew for giving me this wonderful opportunity to share not only my opinion but challenging me to research and go more indepth about the aspects of this particular article.

I value each and everyone of your comments and I hope you will continue to read and discuss future writings produced here at The Vault.

Thankyou so very very much ;)

Shadaliza Reply:

We’re glad to have you on board, your enthusiasm is inspiring.

29. cherie says:

Lisa, thanks for your hard work putting this write-up together. I was not a fan of Quinn in the books, so I hope that they skip him on the show. His character just irritated me. And seeing as how we probably only have a few seasons left, I just don’t see bringing in another guy who is going to battle for Sookie’s affections. We already have Bill, Eric, Alcide, and maybe Sam.

Just my two cents. I really did appreciate your efforts for listing the pros and Cons of bringing him to the show. Great job!

Lisa Eden Reply:

Thankyou so much Cherie I think its important also, that when you have an opinion whether it good or bad then it is important to help others understand why. ;)

30. Lola says:

Yes. Quinn is more important than Bill in the books. So, why not giving him a shot in True Blood? :)

Lisa Eden Reply:

well said, however, Bill is lovely don’t you agree?

31. K.I.S.S. says:

TB has way too many players on the field, at present. As much as I would lo-u-ve to see the man that book Sookie describes as “Head to toe beautiful,” I don’t see how the Were-tiger will add to this already convoluted, testosterone-laden story. What is more important than the name of Quinn is the role he served in Sookie’s development. He was the one character that had no ulterior motives. He loved her for her, didn’t want her blood, didn’t need her telepathy, and didn’t “give a fuck about fairies.” Sookie was able to make conscious decisions when it came to Quinn that was based on her true emotions, instead of being influenced by blood. He was also her only prospect (out of her three lovers) of Supe normalcy, i.e., babies and growing old together, etc., and I think that Alcide could serve that same purpose on TB by making a few subtle changes in his role.

Superb analysis!

You have made excellent points that give Quinn credit ;)

32. Sammy says:

Wow…reading all these posts is interesting…I for one, loved the Quinn character..”Babe” is no worse than Eric’s “Lover”…I felt Quinn was the the one who had the best chance of giving Sookie a more normal life…they went on regular dates, he took her to a musical play and out to dinner…they loved to dance…he wasn’t intimidated by Eric or any of the Vamps…it would be interesting to hear from Charlaine why she didn’t want Sookie to end up with Quinn….Sookie ends it because she can’t be “first” in the relationship, and then goes with Eric, and he is so involved with politics and sheriff duties, weeks go by before she sees him, and then its usually for sex…they never spend quality time together…I am all for Quinn, and make him stay….don’t chicken out like the author…but that’s just me..

Thankyou for your comments Sammy,

I too would like to hear more from Charlaine about her reasons for not pursuing further with Quinn ;)

callonmebill Reply:

”Babe” is no worse than Eric’s “Lover”. Sammy I have always thought this too.

33. typeoneg says:

I haven’t read beyond book 4, so really can’t have an opinion on the character. He sounds intriguing, just so they don’t cast Vin Diesel. Jason Momoa would get my vote. But obviously our opinion isn’t going to affect the choices that the show’s writers make. Sorry, book people…they aren’t sending Bill to Peru.

Lisa Eden Reply:

He is very intriguing and you are so close! Book five he makes his entrance I seriously encourage you to read the next book/s ;)

34. Selle says:

I don’t think Quinn is on the radar for S5 until perhaps the very end, as a setup for S6.

Judging by the way they’re getting Joe Manganiello front and center in lots of publicity, I think we can expect him to be Sook’s next paramour. Factor in that Paquin and Manganiello have sizzling on-screen chemistry and I think we’ll see some heat in S5.

If TB brings in Quinn at some point, fine, bring him. I think Bill is rapidly becoming the principal character on the show and the plotlines will increasingly center around him and Eric blazing trails and less about Sookie’s romances.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Not to take away from Quinn,

But Joe is simply devine isn’t he? and yes I agree there is wonderful chemistry between Alcide and Sookie however never advanced on in the books.

Perhaps Allan Ball enjoys teasing his audience?

35. Devon says:

No, we do not need to see Quinn on True Blood. The show is bloated with unnecessary characters and story lines and the main characters do not get enough screen time as it is. We did not need the shifter crap with Sam and his support group, didn’t need Tommy and his skin walking, didn’t need all the baby drama with Arlene and Terry and we sure as hell did not need the Mavis/Lafayette storyline.

Quinn grossed me out so much in the books and I couldn’t stomach him on my television. His incessant need to call Sookie “babe,” how gross he looks (bald head and genie pants?) and the fact that he blew his load while dry humping? Nothing says gross like a guy who gets off on just dry humping a chick. Nasty.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Interesting aspects of the books ;)

36. UltimateNinja98 says:

I think Dominic West would make a good Quinn..or that black guy from CSI, or Vin Diesel

37. UltimateNinja98 says:

When I was working at Walmart I met this beautiful guy..his skin literally looked like bronze, he was muscular but not overly so, he had green eyes,was bald, about 32, and he was gorgeous. He was the most beautiful person I had seen in my life. I think thats what Quinn would look like

Lisa Eden Reply:

the visual imagination of ones senses is surely soaring with your description! I wish I was there!! ;)

38. megan says:

I have never read the books and just recently seen the show. I literally watched all 4 seasons in 1 week. I became crazy about the show from the first episode…this Quinn character…I don’t know about him but I love the way things are and I realllllly don’t want Sookie to have anymore suitors. I love Bill, Eric and Alcide. Prefer Bill and Eric best though :) This guy sounds like he will mess anything up for Bill and Eric and I’d hate to see that!! Bill and Eric all the way!! LOL!!

Lisa Eden Reply:

Sookie needs to strengthen her love for a particular suitor, who Allan Ball exactly chooses is a complete mystery, and Quinn is the right kind of additive to ignite Sookie into tapping into her personal strengths.

I agree with you on one level, the show is wonderful can you just imagine how fantastic the books are? you should give it a try ;)

39. callonmebill says:

I am not throwing Bill under the bus, as Quinn was in the books, by saying that YES I would like Quinn to provide me with “topless moments of joy” in S5, but I worry that he will be left out alltogether for TB will combine or just used Alcide only as Sookies non vamp suitor; time issues, too many characters…… Quinn next to Bill is one of my favorites and once Bill was exiled the only way I got through the books was because of Quinn; I know I’m in the minority here. Lastly, yes the actor from Game of Thromes would be perfect!

Lisa Eden Reply:

Great contribution Callonmebill (great name too ;)

I couldn’t agree with you more I am also fond of TV Bill (moreso than ‘Book Bill’) but needless to say I appreciate all her suitors for different reasons.

LMAO, yes the under the bus theory I love that!!

40. UltimateNinja98 says:

Oh yeah that light skinned black guy from game of thrones would be a good quinn

Lisa Eden Reply:

Great suggestions keep them coming ;)

41. iamtrue2bill says:

I am not a bookie, so I realize my opinion will not be deemed credible by most here. However, as a TB lover, I am very interested in Sookie being more on her own this season. I realize Alcide is probably going to be “in the picture” but I hope it will be more of a flirtatious relationship than a “falling in love” one, and not all-consuming.

In real time, Sookie has had too much emotional turmoil and confusion stemming from the vampire blood she has consumed, and the life-threatening situations she’s been in.

Why does she need another powerful supe as her lover right now? Why can’t we see Sookie more independent, gaining more insight and self-reflection? I’m getting the feeling that the assumption is she must have a lover ALL the time. Why?

Having no connection to the novels, I would appreciate Alan Ball & Co. giving us a Sookie standing on her own more.

Lisa Eden Reply:

I appreciate your opinion very much and thankyou for sharing it, I understand your hesitation with wanting another suitor for Sookie and TBH it would be lovely to see Sookie rise on her own and take charge of her safety, however, she needs protection with some form of controlled supernatural ability.

I would like for her to become more empowered with her ‘microwave hands’ and perhaps then we may see a heroine emerge ;)

42. iamtrue2bill says:

P.S. I appreciate most other story lines on TB, but sometimes it does feel like a “cast of thousands” – another reason I am disinclined to welcome another Sookie love-interest.

Lisa Eden Reply:

Such a great cast…who are you favourite members?

I definately have a soft spot for Nelsan Ellis and Joe Manganiello.

43. Leah says:

Of course Quinn deserves to be on the show. He is the only one who actually cared for Sookie w/o some ulterior motive.

Bill lied to her completely and betrayed her for Sophie Anne, she’s basically an amusing pet to Eric who shows over and over he puts his own interests first and Alcide liked her but it was hardly a love connection. He needed a GF that could deal w/ him being a sup but wasn’t interested in making baby werewolves (and now he’s packmaster so he’s pretty much gonna have to make baby weres).

Great points Leah!

Quinn has a ‘place’ and a ‘purpose’ and you just highlighted pretty much the basis of this.

Eric needs to progress as much as Sookie before any kind of equal ground can be placed.

Superb contribution ;)

Astrid Reply:

I can’t say more than you already did! Love to you<3<3<3

44. Sarah says:

Even though I did not rate Quinn as a character he does not to be there as he is the breath of fresh air that Sookie needs after the vamps Eric and Bill..before she realises that she has feelings for Eric…He’s a bit boring and wooden in the books and he hardly spends that much time with Sookie due to his many commintments..we will see..its better than Sookie with Bill again…anything but that…

45. KellyValen says:

I would like to see how Sookie’s other potential suitors would react to Quinn. I think there is potential for a rivalry there. Someone new to BonTemps could be a fresh start for Sookie. I think it would be exciting to have a new man in town.

46. suss says:

she needs alcide!so do i lol ;) nut iam cusious about quinn…

47. KC says:

In the books, Quinn was the one Sookie was going to move on with and his only purpose, IMO, was to make Eric jealous. Alcide serves this purpose on the show . . . besides, I can’t imagine any way to show Quinn as the tiger without making it cheesy. But, since TB’s just pandering Sookie’s story, I wouldn’t be surprise if Quinn doesn’t pop out of the lamp somewhere.

48. muge says:

Quinn must be on the show. I believe that he will bring some excitement and competition and a small ! change for Sookie and will be good to watch. Quinn’s character must be played by Jason Momoa , ( you will remember him from Game of Thrones as Kahl Drago)an amazing figure and fits best for a were tiger.. Hope we will have the chance to watch him for True Blood too !

49. Sharrie Bear says:

Quinn is by far my most favourite suitor for Sookie. I think she was ridiculous for giving him up because he is loyal to his fmily. As if she wouldn’t do the exact same thing. I hated her because of it. I think he is an essential character to the storyline and must be in the show. I hope Charrlaine writes him a happy ending in the next book, with someone who can look past his family issues.

50. JW says:

Absolutely! I’m still waiting, hopefully and anxiously for Quinn. It’s what I’m looking forward to most. It won’t be true to the story without him. PLEASE!

51. Samantha Houmani says:

Okay soo i LOVE eric and sookie but i think Quinn was a very important
    charecter because they wasn’t forced to be together/ like hang out not date because like Eric – Sherrif she had to do what he said but she ended up falling for him. Bill – Well her first vampire yada yada yada that got boring fast Alcide – Amazingly hot and sweet but Eric sent him in the books and in the show so she didn’t really choose to be friends Quinn – well i thought it was cute how he wasn’t a vampire stood up for her all those times he was sweet and always called her babe :) ik some people think that’s annoying but honestly i think that’s just his little quirk that grows on you. And of course we cant forget how he came to the bar all cute like and asked her out :) [ he asked her out on a DATE i dont believe anybody else did that. So alltogether i think Sookie should be independent for a while but we need quinn because he was a major part in one of the books at least. So i honestly believe he was a major part in her life she was treeted so well and he didnt have an agenda at the start (ik Alcide didnt either but still)

52. Danielle says:

I fell in love with quinn’s character &have hoped all along that sookie eventually picks him &he finally puts her first! As a huge fan of the books, I’ve learnt to separate the show from them as they’re like distant relatives! It’s insane how different it is…Claudine &Queen Sophie Anne being killed off so early leaves me bemused as to where they will take it. QUINN FOR SEASON 5!!!! :D

53. Miranda Keefe says:

I have a feeling that Ball is going to conflate Quinn into Alcide. I am not sure why I feel this. Part of it may be that is among the Were that Ball has taken the most liberty in excluding characters and/or changing characters, other than what he did to Sophie. I mean he turned werewolves into biker gangs! I don’t even expect to have the wolf pack events of the book in the series, so no Quinn needed to MC anything.

54. Natalie says:

I don’t know who the author is referring to when saying fans didn’t or don’t like Quinn, as my friends and myself are very much looking forward to the introduction of Quinn into the show and have spent a great deal of time today pondering who would be perfect playing Quinn. (My choice is Boris Kodjoe)

55. Daphne says:

Quinn is definitely one of my fav characters of the books. He gave sookie many aspects of a relationship that none of the other characters could at that time. Plus it was tons of fun to see Eric and bill squirm at the thought of sookie with him. I can’t wait to see if he shows up in the show!

56. Michelle says:

I would love to see Quinn appear and ride her off into the sunset.

57. TigerLadyTX says:

Every single person that I have talked to who has read the books and also watches the HBO series is keen on Quinn being brought in as a character on the TV show. Perhaps Mr. Ball does not see him as an integral character to the show – but the fans DO.

Next, who should portray Quinn, if he IS brought to the TV show? My first choice, hands down, is Jason Momoa. The man is the epitome of sex on a stick. *drool* My second choice is Vin Diesel because he is delectable eye candy and has that stoic emotionless thing down pat – and he has a lovely shaped head that looks really good bald. Third choice? Well, its a toss up between Shemar Moore and Dwayne Johnson. Either is a good third choice as far as I am concerned.

58. Ashley B says:

I really would love to see Quinn in the series he did a lot of Sookie in the books. Yes he was gone mostof the time but when he was around he cared deeply for her and helped her grow as an indivisual. This realtionship helped her grow her personality and some of her charcteristics that are naive now. He is and essential part of the story even if people see him as annoying. I hope he is put on the show becauseSookies character will be so much better with him then without :)

59. julie says:

since there will have to be some kind of fight for pack master now that marcus is dead quinn will have to come

60. julie says:

beside if it a wrestler type they r looking for there is a guy on TNA named Mat Morgan who could play Quinn

61. Lyndsey says:

They may bring in the pack master competition since Alcede is fighting for it now, and then they could bring in Quinn and the E(E)E for it! I also think he definitely needs to be on the show, he was good for Sookie even if it wasnt meant to be with her forever he was definitely someone who helped her grow as a person. I believe Jason Mamoa would be perfect for Quinn!!!! I dont think The Rock has the emotional depth to play Quinn and while Vin Diesel is gorgeous i dont think the character is him either!

62. linda says:

I love when new characters are introduced otherwise the story would end. I loved Quinn in the books. I have not seen Vin , do anything with much emotion and Quinn was very sweet in the books. I get the whole muscles thing, but there are better options. I would love to see Manu Bennett, He he is a great actor, sexy and muscular.

63. Nicole says:

I’ve read book 1 through 5, and almost to half way finishing with 6. Both book and TV show in theory are great. I love them both. But, if Charlaine made certain characters important in the book, why not the show. There is some similarities to the book to the show. Some not so much.
    I was rooting for Eric since he first appeared, he has immense amount of power,will and in when Sookie and Eric hooked up after he lost his memory, he showed more love and compassion toward Sookie then even Bill. Alcide, I was thinking should fit well with Sookie, but after starting the books, I’m beginning to think he is definitely the wrong choice for her. Instead of pursuing her he decides to go with someone else. Eric is just hanging back and not going after Sookie, he’s off with the Authority with Bill.. I lost my attraction to Bill when he betrayed Sookie. So obviously she needs someone to lean on while all the others Supes are off doing what their doing.. So I vote yes on Quinn, just not sure who would be best, even though Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock would fit better as a bald headed wrestler type fella and he is almost the same height as Quinn. My opinion, I’m sticking to it..

64. Jen says:

It might be hard to find an actor with better on-screen chemistry than Joe M. and that would be a disaster to bring in some Giant with no Sookie chemistry. I’ve only read 6 or 8 of them, not sure, so I don’t know how interesting Quinn became later. Babe is annoying, Lover is stilted. But def. don’t want to waste the Joe M. chemistry, he’s ridiculously hot and makes Alcide more interesting than in the books.

65. Corrina says:

We need Quinn. He should go in and shake things up. To be honest hes my personal favorite and i love that hes not really like all the other guys in the novel/TV series he brings a little splash of a different that i think is interesting. I don’t know why but i think a great actor for Quinn would be Channing Tatum. Channing Tatum would fill the role perfectly due to the facts that hes tall, attractive, carries himself well and the way he says babe makes girls drool. Just saying <3

66. Astrid says:

QUINN!!! QUINN!!! QUINN!!! QUINN!!! QUINN!!! <3<3<3<3<3

67. Astrid says:

He’s my favorite. My favorite book is number 6 (i have read 1-7) and lot of the reason is that Quinn is in it!!! QUINN <3<3<3

68. Astrid says:

Don’t cut him of! He’s my life!!!

69. Jamie lee says:

Quinn was one of my favorite characters in the books!! You know he is eye candy for the ladies!! ;) Please please I hope they find a place for him on the show!!

70. Team Eric says:

Like they need another man after Sookie, she’s already well enough on her way to being a whore & she’s annoying, why didn’t Eric or Bill just drain & turn her one of the many times she was nearly killed.