Strange Times – Observations on True Blood Season 6 so far

Guest Writer editorialWe are now three episodes into season six and most of our burning questions still remain unanswered. I do, however, have my own theories on what will happen in the coming episodes.

More thoughts on “Who Will Bite The Dust”

We all know that one of our beloved main characters will bite the dust this season. Many are convinced its Eric while others believe Lafayette will finally meet the same fate his character did in the books. If I’m choosing between the two, my money’s on Lafayette, simply because it’s no secret that Eric is probably the most popular fan favorite on the show.

That being said, after watching “You’re No Good”, I’m convinced that a character I had never really considered to be in danger before could meet his demise this season and that’s Jason. It’s obvious that Sook’s loving big brother is ill and seems to only be getting worse. From the spoilers I’ve seen for episode four, Sookie and Jason’s faery grandfather don’t seem to keen on helping his grandson, since Jason missed out on the Fae gene.

Jason has survived multiple were-panther attacks, an overdose on V, and Steve Newlin among other obstacles, but he has always bounced right back, until now. Not only is Jason physically ill, his mental state hasn’t been all that great either. Could it be that all the tragedy and danger that have followed the Stackhouse siblings are finally catching up to them, Jason being the one taking the brute?

He is, after all, merely mortal whilst his half-fae sister still has the vamps, weres, and royal faEry kin to help her out. Then again, Jessica may still be carrying a torch for Jason and help him out with her blood, if he will allow it.

Niall and Sookie help Jason

Another character I believe may possibly be in danger of meeting her maker is Pam. In the last couple of seasons, Pam has been taking desperate measures to keep Eric to herself but her attempts have instead pushed him away. Or so it seems, bottom line is Pam will do anything and I do mean ANYTHING to keep her maker safe and if that means the true death for her, well so be it.

Pam is probably one of my top five favorite characters and Kristen Bauer Van Straten does a fabulous job portraying her but her character has grown away from the sassy, bad-ass vamp we knew in first three seasons. She has gone from smart and witty to clingy and a little crazy.

I do applaud the Tara/Pam pairing, though I don’t see it lasting too long. Tara is also one whose fate is up in the air. There seems to be a pattern with Tara, every time she is saved from a terrible thing, something similar ends up happening to her anyway.

Tara thought Lafayette was the body in the back of Andy’s car in the season two premiere but he reappeared after being held captive in Eric’s dungeon then in the season two finale Jason kills Tara’s new love, Eggs, because he thought Eggs was trying to kill Andy Bellefleur. Then, Tara narrowly escapes being made vampire by the demented Franklin Mott in season three, only to be turned by Pam in season five to avoid dying from a gunshot wound to the head courtesy of Debbie Pelt. So, wouldn’t it only make sense if Tara finally met the true death? After all, you can only escape it so many times before it finally catches you. At this point in the season, it seems that almost everyone except Sookie is fair game.

New Fae’s in Town

Speaking of the fae, there are two new faes in town, one being Ben Flynn, the ruggedly handsome stranger Sookie helps out in episode 2 (The Sun). Ben has now returned to assist Sookie’s faery grandfather, Niall Brigant in keeping Sookie safe from the yet to really be seen Warlow, the progeny of Lilith, who was promised Sookie would be his by her several times great-grandfather John Stackhouse.

Ben Flynn

Ben just kind of appeared out of nowhere and we don’t really know much about him, yet, other than he knows a little more about the Fae than Sookie does and he and the Sook can “feel” each other, something neither could do with any other fae. Maybe they are supposed to be soul mates?

Many Trubies are thinking that Ben is some kind of bad guy, maybe somehow connected to Warlow, but I disagree with that. I think he is totally a good guy and while I am TEAM ERIC, it is a little refreshing seeing Sookie having a chance to be with her own kind, someone that truly gets how she feels. Maybe Ben and Sookie are destined to have lots of half-fae babies to restore the bloodline destroyed by Warlow? Or maybe he is just someone to make Eric jealous so he will come to his senses and take Sookie and his vamp family of Pam, Tara, and Nora out of Louisiana and away from all the danger.

Why not leave the State?

I am really wondering why all the Louisiana vamps haven’t left the state already. I mean, if Louisiana is the only state invoking these Jim Crow Laws for Vamps, why not just go to another state? You got Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas all within a couple hours distance, so it’s not like it would take awhile to get to a safer territory.

Nora, Eric, Pam and Tara

Maybe set up camp at Russell Edgington’s old place in Jackson or head back to Dallas to seek help from Isabelle, Godric’s former second? But no, our favorite vamps choose to stay in the land of the un-free and walk right into danger. Guess we wouldn’t have much of a season of they didn’t.

The new Billith

I still can’t decide if I like the new Billith or not. Frankly, old Bill was kind of uptight and bland. Maybe it’s time to give the Confederate soldier the True Death once and for all so Stephen Moyer can spend more time directing and making babies with his wife.

Bill Compton

Guess we will just have to stay tuned to find out what will happen next…and to ensure there’s a seventh season…

Telina E. Knight

Telina E. Knight

Telina is a 26 year old mom, free-lance writer and blogger and a dedicated Trubie. She is currently working on her first novel and a new blog.
Telina E. Knight

Latest posts by Telina E. Knight (see all)

July 04, 2013

Re: “So, wouldn’t it only make sense if Tara finally met the true death? After all, you can only escape it so many times before it finally catches you(?)”.
    My answer: No, it would make more sense that the writers allow her to evolve toward some sort of happiness as they are doing with other characters.

July 04, 2013

ok thanks for your opinion. i don’t really think any of the characters are too happy right now. what i meant by that is tara is a tortured soul kind of like kurt cobain and as he said it’s better to burn out than to fade away. i would like to see tara happy too along with sookie, eric, jason, jessica, pam(with tara), and all of the characters even bill but i just don’t see that happening. thanks for the feedback!

July 04, 2013

i do agree that it is wonderful to have Stephen behind the camera. However, I’d like for Bill Compton to live on until Stephen Moyer is safely esconced in another long-running series so that I can still have weekly visitations!

July 04, 2013

I would like Bill better if he wouldn’t be so wishy washy. Stephen Moyer is exactly what I pictured for Bill, though. Just because I don’t like his character does not mean I don’t have mad respect for Stephen. He is a great actor and even better director. I see him doing very big things after TB if not during the show’s run.

July 05, 2013

Respect for Stephen? You’re kidding, right?
        “…so Stephen Moyer can spend more time directing and making babies with his wife.”
        Yeah, sure, that was respectful… *roll eyes*

July 05, 2013

Liz, it was meant to be taken humorously. Obviously Moyer is great at directing and making babies with Anna since they had twins last year. Haven’t you people ever watched a Comedy Central Roast? Everyone who speaks is there to rip the roastee to shreds for humor and it’s because the roasters have love for the roastee. I didn’t like Alexander Skarsgard in Straw Dogs and thought his Southern accent sucked doesn’t mean I don’t still have respect for him. He was great in Zoolander and I couldn’t picture a better Eric just as I couldn’t picture a better actor to portray Bill.

I whole heartedly agree.

July 04, 2013

Well Telina, here is my response to your very biased article. I hope my post gets posted and not censored.

I completely disagree with you that Eric is the fan favorite, I really get tired of the EL’s thinking he is the only one who the fans like and that the show will fall apart if he leaves or dies. Every actor on this show has their fans, and you belittle everyone else when you make these types of comments.

And Bill has been and will be the center of the show, just as Sookie is. It’s been said over and over again by the producers and writers since S1 that Bill and Sookie are the heart of the show, and it will stay that way until the end of the series.

And this Bill fan finds Bill’s journey from S1 to now fascinating, and his story this season is on a direct path with Sookie’s story.

And wishing that Bill would die seems to be the only way that the Eric fans think Sookie can ever end up with Eric. Which is kind of sad, imo.

July 04, 2013

I also mention Eric and Sookie together because as it right now, Bill has no interest in being with Sookie since he is busy with saving the vamps from extinction. Aside from the fae, Eric seems to be the only concerned with Sookie’s well being. But again, I personally would like to see Sookie and Sam together. I also think that Stephen Moyer does a very fine job behind the cameras and he has stated on multiple occasions that that is where his real interest lies now. So, if the showrunners decided to kill Bill so to speak so Mr. Moyer could step behind the camera then I think that would be great. But hey, it’s only my opinion.

July 05, 2013

Eric seems more concerned with saving vampire-kind from the governor than he does with Sookie’s safety. At some point Eric and Bill’s motivations this season will overlap and they will again be working together for a common cause.

Maybe if Sookie gets over how self-absorbed she is then she will also become involved with this storyline? In episode three it seemed she was more concerned with one ancient vampire than she was with saving the lives of many of her closest friends.

“Stephen Moyer does a very fine job behind the cameras and he has stated on multiple occasions that that is where his real interest lies now”

I don’t believe that he’s ever stated that he would rather be behind the camera than acting, which seems to be what you’re implying.

July 05, 2013

“Eric seems more concerned with saving vampire-kind from the governor than he does with Sookie’s safety.”

Because saving his kind is more important than one waitress?

Regarding SM and directing : I do recall an interview in wich he said he loves it and would like to do it more often. Maybe Telina is referring to that. He can do both, right?

July 05, 2013

“Because saving his kind is more important than one waitress?”

Oh, I wasn’t being critical of Eric! I think it’s absolutely right that he’s putting saving vampire kind above and beyond Sookie. I was just disagreeing with Telina’s point that aside from the fairies, Eric is the only one helping Sookie. Because he’s not, thus far this season he’s been preoccupied with helping vampire kind, and rightly so!

July 05, 2013

He did help Sookie, he gave her the house back, most likely in the belief that no Vampire could enter any longer. So, he did what he could, but now he has more pressing matters to deal with. He still cares a lot about Sookie, Nora is under orders not to harm her. I think that’s where Telina is coming from.
        Right now everybody is preoccupied, and if the faeries are of any help remains to be seen. That is one thing I just don’t get in my head, considering her experience with Queen Mab Sookie shouldn’t be so gullible and trusting towards Niall.
        Where has he been when Claudine took her to Mab? Where was he when her parents died? If he watched over Jason (like he claims) why didn’t he help him when the were-panthers tortured and raped him? Why didn’t he tell Sookie sooner about Warlow? Where was he when Hot Wings was under attack by Russell?
        There were countless events when Sookie was badly in need of guidance and help, no Niall. Now he turns up and she doesn’t even question it? Curious.

July 04, 2013

Jo, well, thanks for your feedback. I read the books way before the show started and have been following the show since episode 1 so I am very aware how important Sookie/Bill are to each other. I am also well aware that Sookie and Bill have always been the heart of the show and I don’t necessarily believe that Bill should die so Sookie and Eric can be together. I actually don’t think Sookie belongs with anyone she has been paired with so far. I like her with Sam, myself, and my favorite character has always been Godric. I am not biased toward Eric but he has been voted #1 fan fave numerous times so that is why I say that. Thanks again for your comments.

July 04, 2013

I thought it was a good article and I appreciate you voicing your opinions on the show. The only part that I found to be a little off-putting was the part about Bill and Stephen Moyer. Bill should meet the true death to “spend more time directing and making babies with his wife” sounded slightly demeaning to me but I know you probably didn’t mean it like that.

July 04, 2013

Thanks! You are right I did not mean to sound demeaning to Stephen or Anna. I think they are both fantastic actors! I have been following Anna since The Piano and I think that Stephen is the perfect Bill! He is exactly what I pictured when I read the books many moons before the show came out. I did not mean to offend anyone at all.

July 04, 2013

I’m with st on this … quoting your comment about Bill-Stephen: “Maybe it’s time to give the Confederate soldier the True Death once and for all so Stephen Moyer can spend more time directing and making babies with his wife.” You can certainly advocate the true death for Bill, but not for the reason you stated … so that Stephen can spend time directing and making babies. I found this reasoning very off putting.

I get that you are Team Eric, and that’s fine. We all have our favorites on the show. And speaking of favorites, Eric is not the only fan favorite among the True Blood characters. This show is so well acted that even the supporting roles add a richness to the True Blood tapestry. Where would the show be without Lafayette, Arlene, Andy, Terry or Ginger? So many wonderful roles brought to life by our amazing True Blood cast.

I have no idea who we’ll lose this season. If it’s someone who has been around since the beginning, the loss will be hard to take. It’s really up for grabs. The only ones I would count as safe are Sookie, Bill and Eric. You’ve made a good case for Jason, Pam or Tara being the one to die. All we can do is wait and see how the season evolves.

July 04, 2013

Rowena, again, I am not team Eric nor did i say he was the only fan favorite, I said he was the most popular. Believe it or not, I don’t watch the show to see who’s banging Sookie, I watch because I am an avid fan of the novels and I enjoy seeing the characters come to life even if their stories have changed. Also, again, what I said about Bill was kind of meant to be taken lightly and in a humorous manner. Guess I’ll rule comedy out as a career. I did not mean any offense towards anyone and apologize if it seemed that way.

July 04, 2013

Actually, you did say you were TEAM ERIC (and capped the words like this) in the “New Fae’s in Town” section.

I appreciate your clarifying what you meant when you made the “Stephen directing and making babies comment”. It did not come across as humorous to me. Tone of voice can more readily convey humor or a lighter touch. That doesn’t always come across with the printed word.

July 05, 2013

you are right i did say that but i was meaning that as to who has been with sookie so far not as a whole. I am still holding out for a sam/sookie pairing.

July 04, 2013

Telina, thanks for your contribution to our guest writer’s section. I thought your article was well thought out and your opinions made me think a bit and wonder what might happen next. True Blood has certainly changed a lot since Season 1, and who’s to say where things will go from here. No matter what, it’s refreshing to have new viewpoints; it keeps the discussion interesting.

July 04, 2013

Thanks Lynn I appreciate the chance to express my views! I absolutely love True Blood and the Sookie Stackhouse novels so it’s great for me to have a chance to “talk shop” with other fans as passionate as I am! Love your site! Best one out there!

July 04, 2013

If Bill dies for real I’m out.

July 04, 2013

Sam, I don’t think you have to worry. ;-)

July 04, 2013

I seriously doubt that will happen! Think he’s pretty much invincible now as long as he stays away from the sun!

July 05, 2013

i think you would see how quickly a mass exit would follow you too!

July 04, 2013

Wherever I look I see comments like : If Eric is killed off I’m out – I’m only still watching because Eric is finally Eric again – so, there is a huge fanbase routing for the Viking (yes, me included) and I cannot see how that belittles another character or actor.
    Sam an Nelsan are both outstanding actors and a great part of the show, but I would recover from losing one of them.
    I kinda hope it will be Jason though, I’m long tired of his character. He’s sweet in a way but oh-so stupid, and he never learns. Would be a tragedy for Sookie though, she would be completely alone.
    That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the work Ryan’s doing. TB is one of the few shows with a tremendously gifted cast, everybody is pretty much perfect for the character he / she is portraying and some are underated for sure.
    But the cast is vast, and there are those I could do without. At this point that includes Billith, I had my difficulties with him being the King, but right now his story is totally unappealling to me.

“Why not leave the state?”

July 05, 2013

“We’ve seen it once or twice, a Vampire needs permission to settle down in another King’s territory, with the blood shortage I think nobody would take on more subjects. I’m pretty sure there’s chaos everywhere.”

Oooh, good call, I’d forgotten about that!

Also, who’s to say that similar anti-vampire legislation isn’t being introduced in other states? After all, it’s established that Louisiana has the largest population of vampires in all the US, so it stands to reason that if these laws can be implemented there, then it would be even easier to do so in states with a smaller vampire population.

Not to mention the fact that the Vampire Rights Amendment never got passed, so vampires have no recourse to the law whatsoever.

July 05, 2013

I feel I have to defend Telina on her “fan favorite” remark. Eric is the fan favorite, I don’t really think you can provide evidence to the contrary to argue with that, he does win all the polls / votes. Eric is deliberately written to be particularly appealing, it’s not an accident, these writers know what they are doing. That doesn’t mean that Bill and/or Sookie aren’t at the heart of the show though. I can think of a lot of shows where the leads aren’t the fan favorites (eg. Buffy the vampire slayer). In fact lead characters/actors probably don’t expect to be. They have a different role to play in the overall picture of the show.I seem to recall SM saying as far back as season 2 that he had to stop thinking about what the audience might think about Bill.They all know what they are meant to be and they are all great at playing their individual parts.

One thing is for sure – Bill, Eric, Sookie – those 3 won’t die.

July 05, 2013

I completely disagree with the statement about Bill! For me he is, was and will always be the most interesting character to follow. And in S6 I just love his storyline and connection with Jess. Two of my favorite characters and together – just what I wanted!
    I think those who write articles to sites with neutral position shouldn’t make such flat statements, especially knowing that this idea can not be supported by WHOLE fan base.

July 05, 2013

Why shouldn’t someone who writes an article make a statement and voice his / her own opinion? Everybody’s entitled to have and express their point of view, that’s nothing more but freedom of speech.
      And from what I’m reading here as a response I can’t help but wonder if some aren’t a little bit too touchy and taking the article too serious. It’s easy to mistake a remark – more so in written form – and maybe, just maybe, one should not read too much into it.
      And finally : this show has so many different characters and so many different angles it’s simply impossible to speak for the whole fan base.

July 05, 2013

Wow, what a.. biased post (to say the least). I don’t agree with… basically everything. Especially the argument: “oh, since Stephen Moyer is good behind the camera, another reason to get rid of Bill! AND he’ll have more time to make babies with Anna…”
    I mean, seriously??!

July 05, 2013

Okay, for the last time, what I said about Stephen Moyer was meant to be a JOKE! Ya’ll are really taking it way too seriously. Most writers who blog write from THEIR point of view. thanks for the feedback anyway though. good to see other fans are as passionate about show as i am.

July 06, 2013

Why do readers must gues (or not) if author was joking? In the paragraph about Stephen there was no hint of this at all. And why do we have to see jokes there when the article is ment to be more analytic and pondering the idea of character’s death? I completely understand that such articles are fully writer’s opinion but this doesn’t mean expressing disrespect to actor. You may wish character’s death – this is the topic of the article and it is acceptable, but the words “Stephen Moyer can spend more time directing and making babies with his wife” are obviosly showing your wish for actor to retire his job (because he is not professional enough for it) and do something else and not showing in the screen any more. And that is because you don’t like the character he plays. I see nothing to laugh at there, sorry for my dumbness. And if you had written those words about Alexander or Joe or Anna or any other actor – it won’t change anything anyways.

July 05, 2013

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion,I personally think the super Bill story is boring because since season 4 the writers have been messing up the character ,by giving him strange powers or making him more influential.They should’ve kept it simple a lone chivalrous stranger with dark motives instead of prophet-semigod.I understand Talina when she say that she prefers this character gone.(Independently who you would like most on the show or who Sookie should end up with. )

July 05, 2013

are you kidding me? King Bill is a big hit with both the critics and the viewers.

July 05, 2013

There are plenty of viewers who don’t like Billith – and viewers don’t necessarily agree with critics.

Telina,

Thank you for your post. One of the reasons I find myself coming back to this site daily is that all points of view are celebrated about the show that we all adore.

I’m befuddled about Niall. I mean he seems the most useless King I’ve ever seen. He goes after Nora thinking she might be Warlow? Weird. Also Nora doesn’t go all “They smell amazing” on Niall. Some things just aren’t adding up for me.

I’m worried about Jason too. I love Jason’s character. He and Andy (and before he left — Hoyt) ground the show with their human qualities. It seems a bit too ‘in your face’ to have Jason die, but one never knows.

Pam – Hmmm, the writers are making her so whiney, and clingy as the guest writer wrote. She isn’t asking what Eric needs and doing it. I could see Pam dying trying to save Eric.

Andy is in danger too with 4 hybrids in a town full of starving vampires. What will happen to those girls now that there are no more Bon Temps Fae?

Ben – I like Ben. I think there is something else going on with him, but I’m not sure he’s a bad guy. I’ve been kind of thinking he’s being made to get close to Sookie. Maybe someone in his family has been kidnapped or something. I don’t know.

Bill and Eric and Sookie – I can’t see any of these three going away, unless the show will not be renewed which with each episode and no news from HBO is getting more likely. Alex has a big career now outside TB. Anna has her XMen and other movies coming up. Stephen is making a name for himself directing. So it could be the show will see the true death this year… I just don’t know.

Thanks again for the great post.

July 05, 2013

although things look bad for Jason, I wonder if he is just starting on a newer character arc.

July 05, 2013

“I’m befuddled about Niall … ”

Same here. Why didn’t he turn up sooner? What’s with Queen Mab? I thought she was supposed to be the faery head of state.
      In the books full-blooded faeries have the ability to hide their scent – maybe that’s the case here with Nora. Hard to tell based on this short scene.

Colette –

Yes, what is happening with the Queen Mab group? So much of that storyline was dropped by the writers. Hmm I didn’t know that the full-blooded ones could hide their scent… maybe, although when Russell was after the Bon Temp tribe he could smell them as could Newlin.

July 05, 2013

Yeah, but there were a lot of halflings in the club, and they don’t have the ability.

July 05, 2013

I believe that Claude told Sookie during season five that the last portal to fairyland (the place that Sookie went to at the start of season 4) was closed.

Colette and AphroditeMF:

Yes, there were a lot of halflings in the club so that explains why Russell could smell them.

Oh – okay I didn’t realize it was closed. I do remember Sookie and her grandfather jumping through the portal and there was so jabbering about it was closing. I just thought the Queen closed and then she could open it again.

If it’s closed for good it makes me wonder why we were drug down that path because I don’t think anyone really liked that storyline.

Thanks guys for the clarification.

July 05, 2013

I think we’re going down that path again because there are a lot of questions we don’t have an answer to. Like : if it was the last portal how can Niall appear?
        That’s what I love about this sides, you get many different points of view, others recall details you didn’t payed much attention to, looking back and reviewing it can offer a whole new direction.
        I love this sort of interaction, discussing and speculating. Awesome ;)

July 05, 2013

You’re right, and we saw it blowing up, kind of. There must be more than one though. And somehow these portals are created … how and by whom? More questions we don’t have an answer to ….

July 05, 2013

Maybe Niall, since he is a king, can open and close portals. Book Niall was able to do so at will.

And he went through the portal in Sook’s bathroom, remember, only we don’t know where that was a portal to.

July 05, 2013

Gotta be the dark realm Warlow was banned to, he tried to escape there first.

July 05, 2013

Love this whole discussion – so much fun mulling over all the angles. I’d rather not see the other Fae again. That was just too weird and StarTrekie for me.

July 05, 2013

What’s wrong with Star Trek? ;) Just kidding – I happen to like that too.
        I’m not keen on seeing the other fae again, in fact I’m suspicious of pretty much all of them, but I sure would like a handbook with rules (and a tiny bit of background information) for the TB universe.

July 06, 2013

Hi Colette – Nothing is wrong with Star Trek :) It’s just when Sookie was in Queen Mob or Mab (can never remember which way it goes) land it just felt like an original Star Trek show. I kept waiting for Mr. Spock or Captain Kirk to show up.

July 05, 2013

I think I need to point out to the readers that this is an editorial post, which means that it is an opinion piece and this article reflects Telina’s opinions. While you as the readers are free to disagree with her, lets please be respectful of others opinions.

My two cents about Lafayette:

The writing for this character has taken a downturn in the past few seasons, but Lafayette has always provided an unflinching view of the reality-based world, whether you like it or not. that is something that is sorely lacking in BonTemps.

LaLa and Ruby Jean together? no better comedy anywhere! Lafayette and Tara? their emotional exchanges cut away all the b***s*** and go straight to your heart in a way no other pairing seems to be able to do.

Lafeyette at Merlotte’s? you can get everything you need! that short-order cook will make you lunch, do your nails, fix your fashion, babysit your child, teach you self-defense, provide sex education, fill your “prescription” order and just basically tell you about yourself!

annnnnd quiet as it is kept, I think that Lafayette’s swag has opened/turned many a closed mind regarding the issues of th LGBT community. I defy you to name another TB character that may actually be changing lives in the real world.
    Writers! know thyselves! humble thyselves! heal thyselves!

oh yeah.

and *genuflect* in the directiona of A)AB and B)Nelsan Ellis.
      A)for imagining this character as more than words on a page
      B)for making it so.

July 05, 2013

On AB’s new show, Banshee, he also has a badass character a little like Lafayette. If you haven’t seen the show, it’s worth a watch.

totally agree. Love Job!

July 05, 2013

Don’t get me wrong, I do love Lala (and Nelsan is terrific), I’m so glad they didn’t kill him in the first season.

July 05, 2013

You underestimate how rational a person high on drugs can be. ;)

Lafayette expresses more wisdom and integrity than, say, Arlene, who has probably never done drugs.

July 05, 2013

I’ve never encountered anyone who was on drugs acting or thinking rational, you take drugs to escape reality to begin with.
        But apart from that, Arlene is true to her beliefs, narrow-minded in some cases but that doesn’t change the fact that she sticks with her choices.
        Taking drugs, selling them, trying to screw a Vampire like Eric isn’t particularly wise (if you ask me), having your cousin turned into the thing she hates most is another point where I’m not seeing reason being the motive.

July 05, 2013

Lala is not a drug user. He only does that occasionally when the world becomes too much. And he doesn’t sell drugs anymore. And of course there was nothing rational about turning Tara into vampire. It was all emotional. Lala didn’t want to lose his only cousin.

July 05, 2013

“Lala is not a drug user. He only does that occasionally”

What kind of logic is that? If you occasionally beat your wife are you not a wife-beater?
        Please, be honest, how many time’s did we see him take drugs? All kinds of.

“when the world becomes too much”

Only proves my point, his incentive is to escape reality. Is that a way to deal with anything?

And of course he didn’t want to lose his cousin, but turning her into the thing she hates, for selfish and emotional reasons, doesn’t make him especially rational. That was my point. I never said I could not relate, I just dared to doubt he’s the character most rooted in reality.

July 05, 2013

You ask: How can someone who’s either high or possessed bring an “reality-based point of view” ? generally speaking

If you think of Lafayette as primarily a drug user, you have completely missed the point. Larayette is first and foremost, a businessman.

How could a person that YOU are describing hold down > 2 jobs, pay his bills and keep his mother’s nursing home care financed? Right. He couldnt.

July 05, 2013

He is a frequent drug-user, that doesn’t mean he’s not capable to handle a job (or two). On the contrary, there are not few people who do drugs or are addicted to alcohol. Some of them have very good jobs and make a lot of money.
        But you have to admit that taking drugs, being high alters your perception. That perception is not seldom a distorted intake of reality, that was what I wanted to express.

July 05, 2013

Well said about Lafayette, mbb and Aphrodite.

July 05, 2013

You absolutely have every right to your opinion and those who run this site have every right to invite it to be expressed.

But really, how naïve are you given the reactions like death threats when CH did not land Sookie with Eric, are you that you think you can make a comment about Bill dying so SM can go make babies and direct; and in the same article say you are TEAM ERIC in caps and not think that would incite these type of comments. Then beg just kiddin about the Bill death thing.

I find the entire petty squabbling tiresome and downright hateful at times. Eric is a great character when he is ERIC, not some annoying 12 yr old in basketball shorts. Bill’s character is incredibly complex and his evolution continues to compel me to watch this show. It’s hard to imagine anyone else but AS and SM playing these characters.

The were story is painfully boring and while many love to look at him, (and I apologize to JM fans) he can not act worth a crap compared to an AP and a SM or Sam Trammel.

Ben is completely underwhelming and far too contrived to suddenly be on the side of the road; to not have made it to the fae club (which was just a couple miles down the road) & been there when Warlow killed everyone; yet just happens to be there when Niall comes out, knows of Warlow and who Niall is.

Ms Sookie needs to give the fairy v a rest, stop and think about he life and what she has been thru and decide as an independent, capable woman how she wants her life to be. Take charge and make grown up decisions whatever they are.

Finally the one thing I did agree with is I am starting to fear for Jason & I adore him. At the same time that he seems to be setting up for the obvious one we will lose, TB loves to create that sort of diversion and shock the heck out of us.

Justafan,

So glad to hear I’m not the only one hating on the Were storyline. I find the way the writers are portraying them as disgusting. I think JM is great, but just don’t care for his character anymore. Also, there has been no interaction between the Weres an the main storyline so at this point it just seems like filler.

And yes, TB loves to throw out a diversion and keep us guessing which is why I’m not sure if Jason lives or dies.

Mybabybill wrote it might be a character arc for Jason. Maybe, but I’d like him to stay as is. I don’t want to see him changed.

July 05, 2013

I agree with your thoughts on the whole Were storyline, and especially Alcide portrayed by JM. Perhaps we’ll get lucky and he’ll be the supposed “fan favorite” that will be killed off.

I wouldn’t miss him one tiny bit.

July 05, 2013

It’s supposed to be one of the characters who were around since season 1, so probably not Alcide.
        A lot of people speculated it would be Jessica – some due to the fact that her character was invented for the show.
        But who knows? It could be Terry, or Arlene, even Andy ….

July 05, 2013

I recall thinking it would be Terry awhile back because of spoiler pics of Andy and Arlene dressed in black at a supposed funeral.

I still vote for Alcide :), because I love Terry.

July 05, 2013

Oh, those devious pics! How often has it turned out to be a decoy? Andy and Arlene would go to Sam’s funeral, or Lala’s, or Jason’s …
        I too hope Terry won’t be the one, I would miss him. Can you imagine Arlene raising three kids on her own? And her man, again?

July 05, 2013

You know if we have to see someone go, I vote for Alcide. They aren’t doing anything with him on the show and when they do I usually fastforward through it. I mean how many times do we need to see them chowing down on people. Ugh. Not sexy or interesting.

Also, Alcide’s career is really taking off. He has a bunch of movies coming up.

But…. I can’t see all of Bon Temps showing up for his funeral so it’s probably not him. Wasn’t there something about the death bringing the folk of Bon Temp to their knees? So it must be someone that frequents or works at Merlottes. Ugh I hate this….

July 05, 2013

you know, though, if it is terry, it may lead the way for Arlene to be even more characteristic of her book counterpart. Hmmmm…….

Just thinking here, but maybe he tries to help Andy save any remaining faebies that Jessica and Bill don’t eat and kill. Or Patrick’s wife somehow gets wind of Terry’s role in his death. There are at least a couple of plausible scenarios for his death.

I hope I’m wrong.

July 05, 2013

You do have a good point there about Arlene. Everyone loves Terry in Bon Temps. Arlene already doesn’t care for the vamps, if Terry were killed by one she’d really be in the anti-vamp camp.

July 05, 2013

Ok, you can call me naive all you want to but i wrote my article from MY point of view and didn’t really care if all everyone agree with what I had to say. I also never said I was JUST KIDDING about the Stephen Moyer comment, I said I meant it to be taken lightly. There are way more serious issues in this world not to make light of other than Bill, Stephen Moyer, and his status on TB, directing, or making babies. I personally think the making babies process is a lot of fun and I am sure that Stephen and Anna do to. I am also a mother and if someone told my husband to stop building furniture for a living so he could spend more time tournament fishing and making babies with me, I would be all for it. So you guys can stop acting like I am trying to diss Stephen Moyer or Anna Paquin for that matter. I simply put what was on my mind. If you guys want a sweet boring article talking about how great every character is and how everything is perfect on TB, well, write it yourself because that sounds pretty darn boring to me. I appreciate all of your comments even those of you who need to lighten up a little because it means you are reading my work and THAT is what is important to a writer. You don’t have to agree with everything I say but at least you are reading it. I will not condone personal attacks however because you don’t know me or my character and therefore have no right to tell me how I meant for something to sound or how I think or how I should have written something. If you have a different opinion I suggest you take a seat and write it down like I did. Thanks again for all your feedback and thanks for giving my article a read. I meant for this article to give the fans something to talk about and that’s what you all did. Thank you.

July 06, 2013

You doth protest so very much for one who does not care what we think.

July 05, 2013

Well written piece on which one of our TB friends is not coming back and except for the part about Bill/Stephen not coming back so he can direct and have more babies which has been adequately debated in the comments section so I wont have to add my thoughts, I did enjoyed the authors POV.
    The “death” I think has been established as an original S1 cast member, so Nora or Holly or Alcide do not count though they may die too.
    For some reason I put Jason in the safe category with the Sookie, Eric, Bill troika never thinking he was in danger. But also Sam needs to be safe as does Lafayette and no you can’t kill Jess and Andy leaving only Arlene and Terry. In the end Terry will be the one, the good solider. This is my hope.
    The other possibility as the author Telina points out is Pam or Tara and yes they to are vulnerable, but Pam is such a fan favorite with her fashion and one liners while Tara dying or Jason would be to much death for Sookie to bear. Or not?

July 05, 2013

killing Pam? hmmm. now that would really open up such possibilities in the vampire realm. I remember Pam as a fan favorite in earlier seasons, but now, maybe not so much. It would depend on who you talk to about it I guess.

killing Tara? after ALREADY killing her in S4, how can you do it AGAIN without the appearance of shall we say a less than random selection? In addition, this character (and many others) serves an internal dynamic that is rarely discussed and has yet to be resolved. Again, if you feel she needs to go, you are probably not getting some parts of the story.

July 05, 2013

“In addition, this character (and many others) serves an internal dynamic that is rarely discussed and has yet to be resolved. Again, if you feel she needs to go, you are probably not getting some parts of the story.”

What dynamic might that be? Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to step on your toes or anything, but I don’t see much value (for the story, the show etc) in Tara – as a character and right now, not to belittle the job Rutina’s doing playing her.
        She’s still a very angry woman who acts first, often without thinking it through. She killed Elijah and endangered Pam doing so, now she ran off with Willa.
        She’s constantly trying to drive a wedge between Pam and Eric, although Eric – being the most experienced and powerful – is their best bet to survive right now and ! welcomed her into the family.

July 05, 2013

I agree. She treats Pam and Eric the same way she treated Sookie and Bill. I found her to be extremely annoying in both of these circumstances. Now, I love her interaction with LaLa and Sam, but she really needs to keep her nose out of other people’s relationships. Especially since she absolutely no idea of how to maintain one herself.

July 07, 2013

know what? you may be right. it’s a new show. new showrunner. all bets are off. it could very well be tara.

July 05, 2013

@mybabybill, I do not feel Tara needs to go – I said she was vulnerable as all S1 characters are and my sad vote went to Terry or Arlene; I just went through all the S1 characters and voiced my opinion in a lighthearted way on why they should stay or go. I still feel Pam and Tara will not die the true death. I based my Pam being a fan favorite on my crack “scientific observations and interpretation” lol from viewing my Tumblr account, meaning the negatives are at a minimum.

July 05, 2013

sorry. didnt mean to be so terse.

July 06, 2013

Telina, I appreciate you taking the time to give us your insight. Your article was well written and for the most part, enjoyable. But I have to admit I was also a bit shocked by the Billith comment that you wrote. Whether it was meant to be taken lightly or not, so many of us could read a lot of resentment in that comment. So many Eric fans have felt threatened by the real life relationship between Anna and Stephen, as if it would somehow alter the story that they hoped would play out. Mentioning that in your piece just brings that subject up again, and makes the reader wonder if you also feel that same resentment. It may not have been your intention, but that’s how it sounds. Imagine if someone were to write an article and say, “Maybe it’s time for the Viking to meet the true death once and for all so that he can spend more time working with his father and dating his co stars.” I know that if that were to happen, even if it was meant to be taken lightly, this thread would be way longer than 81 comments, and none of them would be very pleasant either.

July 07, 2013

Excellent points Nickymouse, and I agree. I was also surprised to read that comment about Stephen. Telina, if you had made similar comments about the other actors, maybe your comment about Bill/Stephen would have been taken as jest. Now it comes across as petty and bitter. I would also point out that he doesn’t need to stop acting to continue to direct and make babies with his wife. He’s done all three at the same time before.

July 07, 2013

Thank you Karen. You actually brought up something I forgot to mention. I don’t consider myself to be overly sensitive, and I’ve read way worse things written by people who despise Bill, but I agree completely with you regarding the nature of the article. None of it was really written in jest except for the part about Stephen. No other actor’s personal life was discussed in that tone either, so the fact that it was written so differently than the rest of the article is what caused me to comment. And while I completely agree that there are bigger things in the world to be concerned about than what Telina thinks of Stephen, I feel that it should be taken as a constructive criticism to a writer, and nothing more.

July 06, 2013

I think it’s Tara”s time to go. She has outlived her usefullness!!!!

July 06, 2013

I’m really worried about losing Jason too. I hope it won’t be him. After seeing Chris Bauer answer a question about the death and the strong reaction he had where he said it’s “not fair” I figured it would be somebody he worked with a lot, so either Jason, Terry, Arlene or Sam. Why are they killing off an established and beloved character? I think it would have to be really important to the main story (Sookie’s) or it would be to eliminate the need for writing that character their own arc in a following season to help streamline the show. They don’t have to continue to write a separate story for Terry and Arlene, they started out as purely support characters and they could continue on that way. Killing Jason would devastate Sookie. But I had the weird notion that maybe they will kill off Sam, again, I hope not, because then the show can’t end the same way the books end, keeping people guessing, and not many would really expect it to be him so the shock would be huge. I really don’t want to lose any of these characters I mentioned, or Tara, Lafayette and absolutely not Bill. Losing Bill would kill the show for me. But like you said, nobody except Sookie is safe.

July 06, 2013

I forgot Jessica, I don’t want to lose Jessica either. I hope we don’t lose more than one of the season one cast, but with all the emphasis they’re putting on “nobody lives forever” I don’t think they’re going to stop at one of the original cast plus the regular multiple new-comers. Oh no, Steve and Sarah Newlin were in the first season too. Yikes!