True Blood’ at Comic-con: Yes, ladies, Eric really is that hot

Article on the Los Angeles Times by Gina McIntyre

Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman in True Blood

Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman in True Blood

Lest anyone forget, there is more than one vampire-themed entertainment phenomenon in the pop culture universe right now.

“True Blood,” HBO’s hit adaptation of the Sookie Stackhouse mystery novels from author Charlaine Harris, has its own legion of devoted fans keen on the show’s sexy, campy aesthetic, and plenty of them turned up Saturday to see cast members Anna Paquin (on her birthday, no less), Stephen Moyer, Sam Trammell, Rutina Wesley, Nelsan Ellis, Michelle Forbes, Deborah Ann Woll and Alexander Skarsgard and creator Alan Ball talk about what’s in store for Season Two and beyond. It was Skarsgard, though, who might have earned the most enthusiastic reception — he plays vamp heavy Eric Northman on the Louisiana-set series, and well, there just must be something about those centuries-old former vikings who become powerful immortals. They make the ladies swoon.

After screening a brief teaser reel promoting the second half of the current season, the cast took turns answering questions posed by moderator Kate Hahn from TV Guide and members of the audience — several of whom focused on the tension between Eric and Paquin’s Sookie, who happens to be romantically involved with Moyer’s Southern gentleman vampire Bill Compton. (The couple are also an item off-screen.)

Paquin said that after Sookie’s experiences last season — when she suffered the loss of her grandmother and was in almost constant danger of losing her own life — she felt that her character had become stronger and tougher, but conceded that she still gets into trouble. “Good thing she has her vampire boyfriend,” she noted. Moyer, for one, intends to make sure that Bill remains Sookie’s beau. “I’m not sure Bill’s just going to roll over and let that happen,” he said of any potential developments on the Eric/Sookie front. “He might not be as polite.”

Which means things could turn ugly, and fast, as Skarsgard said that Eric’s most likely not going to drop his advances toward the plucky cocktail waitress anytime soon. “Eric’s been around for a very long time. He’s kind of over humanity, then she comes along and there’s something different about her. For the first time in a long time, he’s curious.”

Skarsgard went on to say that he’s enjoyed working on the series’ second season, as it’s allowed him to develop the character: “Eric was misunderstood. People would say, ‘You’re the bad guy,’ and I had to defend him. He is a bad ass, but as an actor, you have to have layers… He doesn’t care for a lot of people, or vampires either, but the ones he does, he’s very loyal to.”

For those who thirst for something else related to the show, Ball announced that TruBlood (an all natural blood orange soda sold in replica bottles that look just like the props used on the show) will be available for purchase Sept. 10, just in time for the Season Two finale. Fans will be able to place orders at hbo.com.

And there’s more good news for those who read Harris’ novels: she revealed during the panel that she’s signed a contract to write three more, which should take her up through 2014.

July 26, 2009

Of course he is that hot, duh! LOL

Also did someone ask him about his personal life & what was his response?

July 26, 2009

Lynn and Shad thanks for the great article. I am so glad to hear that Bill is not just going to roll over and let Eric move in on Sookie. Sounds like it will be different then the books and very exciting too, can’t wait.

July 26, 2009

Stephen, do everything humanly (or inhumanly) possible to keep Eric at bey. Duct tape him to a chair in his dressing room, if need be, just keep hope alive for the Bill/Sookie fans!

July 26, 2009

I know this article hurt your heart Lynn, but don’t worry. Our Bill will prevail. We ain’t known as BILLSBABES for nothing!

July 27, 2009

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Neither the character of Eric nor the person of Alex does anything at all for me. IMO, Alex sounds a lot like Eric in some of his replies to the Q and A. Methinks it has gone to his head.
    Admittedly, I am biased of course. I love the character of Bill and the person of Stephen. The crowd at Comic-Con seems very pro-Eric. Well, won’t they be in for a big shock when Charlaine Harris puts Bill and Sookie back together in the next book!

July 28, 2009

Don’t worry about the Comic-Con crowd. It could just as easily have been a big Bill contingent there and probably was. I blame the organizer/ moderator. I think they should somehow make sure that each actor is asked some questions. i.e.
      Does someone have question for Rutina? That way is more balanced and some of the actors aren’t sitting there being ignored for the most part. Keep it flowing and well balanced. That was a ridiculous oversight of the talent sitting there but I did enjoy the tidbits we did get.

July 28, 2009

I’m a huge Eric fan and I am totally pleased with Alex playing him. Alex is very humble and gracious and I don’t believe it’s “gone to his head”. He loves the Eric character and he said he meant it. He’s enjoying his stint on TB and it appears that the rest of the cast is as well.

I also was disappointed that Rutina and Sam didn’t get to answer more questions. I also missed both Kristin’s and Ryan’s presence at Comic-Con. I believe Kristin is getting married soon so that probably explains why she couldn’t attend.

One thing I was very thrilled to see/hear was the response that Nelsan received from the audience. Thank you Alan Ball for keeping the Lafayette character around.

July 28, 2009

Buttercup, I believe you’re right about Kristen, and Ryan, would have been there, but I saw it reported that he is filming and therefore, was unable to attend.

July 28, 2009

eric has a built in fan contingent from the books as well as new fans from the show. sookie stackhouse mystery fans seem to dominate events like these because genre book fans are intense and invest in fandom more than the average fan. look at twilight and harry potter. i don’t think it should be taken so seriously that eric fans are the loudest. panels like this are not representative of the whole true blood viewership. i was saying earlier on a fansite that we get stuck in our fandom bubble online and forget we represent the minority as far as the whole audience. there are people who watch that don’t like either vampire. i have two friends that like jason the most. go figure.

July 29, 2009

Thanks for posting. I love AS and his portrayal of Eric, and I think it’s great that he’s getting the recognition he deserves. :)

July 29, 2009

people who are bill fans generally are not readers of the books and if u are i really do not understand how u can be. i wont get into it really b.c i do not want to spoil anything for people who have not read it. but i am so anti bill. totally team viking for me. and i think AS plays a great eric.

July 29, 2009

freya, I am a Bill fan and I have read all of the books. Also, most of the Bill fans I know, and I know a lot of them, have also read them. So, I think it’s a misconception that Bill fans haven’t read them.