A True Blood minion ‘Inside the writers room’

A True Blood minion ‘Inside the writers room’

Writen by Gretchen (aka BittenByBill)

What I love about the True Blood minions is that a lot are real diehard fans (some even get into the fray when it comes to defending who their “allegiance” lies with). There are fans – and there are True Blood zealots. We’re akin to little ducklings ready to follow our idols. And that is just what the Trueblood ducklings did last week. On October 28, the Paley Center for Media, hosted “Inside the Writers Room”; featuring the creative scribes of True Blood. Truebies from far and wide came to Beverly Hills swallowing every bit of information they could squeeze out of Alan Ball. Moderator for this important summit gathering was Senior Writer Alynda Wheat of Entertainment Weekly.

paley2

The atmosphere was amiable though some attendees report of people behaving badly – especially when it came to the mere mention of Evan Rachel Wood’s portrayal of the Vampire Queen of Louisiana. Some were even very vocal about it. A lady a few rows in front of me shamelessly told Alan that “everyone who read Charlaine’s books don’t like her.” Poor Alan just had to take the bullet for that one (“Sorry I cast her! Point it all towards me!).

Team Eric fans squealed with utter delight when it was revealed he’d be eschewing clothes a good portion of episode one of Season Three. I’m not a big Eric fan but I love me a shirtless (and might I add, “trouser less”) Alexander Skarsgård. I too had a reason to squee my butt off. Even though Bill and Sookie will be going through obstacles in their relationship this coming season, Alan reassures the Bill and Sookie shippers that their connection will never die. Huzzah! I also got a good chuckle out of Alan’s comment about Alex being a prisoner of his wig last season. Why it took them a long time to get rid of it is beyond me. I’m just glad he no longer sports the medieval page look (I’m thinking, Prince Valium of “Space Balls” fame). I should have mustered enough cojones to ask about Bill’s coiffure. How I miss Bill’s Season One, Episode 1-3 hair. I guess for now, I’ll just have to keep tying a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree for its safe return.

paley

Alan Ball and Gretchen

I also remember everyone in the room was united in expressing their relief when it was revealed we never have to hear from Maryann again. Thank Jupiter’s many moons for that. When Alynda interjected that the maenad’s death was too abrupt, Alan countered by saying, “you write the show then!” That’s Alan. Never too caustic and yet knows just how to put a muzzle on a niggling critic.

paley3

Writers Alexander Woo and Raell Tucker

All in all, I had a great experience attending this symposium. Sure finding my way to the Paley Center was like being on a quest to find the Holy Grail but I really had an absolute blast. I even got to meet a fellow Billsbabe who flew all the way from the East Coast to participate in this event. If there was anything I would have liked happen that night, I wish I was able to participate in the Q & A portion. I raised my hand; hell, I even stretched my arm and yet no one picked me. Darn these genetically short appendages! No matter, it was highly entertaining to listen to Alan and his fellow writers and producers exchange witty repartee amongst themselves and the audience. I highly recommend attending the “Inside the Writers Room” panel for everyone. You’ll be in the company of the greatest fans in the world.

Photo credit Kevin Parry/The Paley Center for Media

© The Vault – TrueBlood-Online.com

Shadaliza
Written by Shadaliza

Shadaliza loves the Internet, film and TV shows, writing, running websites and charity fundraising; she has found the perfect combo in the fansites to express her creativity and passion. Shadaliza is Dutch, but has lived in Italy for many years and works as Marketing Executive for an Internet hosting company.

November 06, 2009

I so enjoy reading your accounts of these events, Gretchen. Sounds like the effort you put into getting to Paley was well worth it. How did they not choose you to ask, what I’m sure would have a been an intelligent and witty, question? I would have loved to have been able to be there, but the Billsbabes were well represented.

November 06, 2009

Great read, Gretchen. You do such a wonderful job of representing the Billsbabes and always give an intelligent, witty and most entertaining report. Thank you for this.

November 06, 2009

BBB – you need to stand up straight next time – you look like a munchkin next to Alan ! ( wink wink ) LOLOL !!!

Thank you for going to this and representing the Billsbabes once again! I hear that other Billsbabes were in attendance as well. I think I’m going to ask Santa to bring you a GPS this Christmas! Sounds like a good time was had by all and we got alot of insight from the Panel as to what is instore for S3.

I personally LOVE the Paley events – they really are the best, most informative, most civil and non-frantic of the group of Panels/Conventions one can attend for True Blood. I liken the Paley Events to the old Town Hall Meetings held long ago. It’s nice for all the “middle-aged” women of the Billsbabes ! ROTFLMAO !!!

November 06, 2009

LOL Sterling! To think I was already wearing high heels to this event. Maybe that’s why I still get carded even for matches. They must think I’m 8 years old!

November 06, 2009

BittenByBill, such a good name, what a wonderful report and great experience you had. Regarding Bill’s Season One, Episode 1-3 Hair ~ BS1H-1~3! LOL Tie a yellow ribbon….

November 06, 2009

Gretchen – thanks for transporting us into the room with you — your stuff is always so much fun to read!

November 06, 2009

How lucky for us that you live close enough to these events & are willing to attend & represent the Billsbabes!
    I always enjoy reading your first hand accounts! Thanks, Gretchen!

November 06, 2009

Yet another great accounting from our roving report. Thanks for representing us so well. If they can’t see you maybe you will have to learn to whistle. ;-p

November 06, 2009

OMG!!! You met and had your picture taken with Alan!! I’m so jealous. Thank you so much for the recap. I’m really impressed with what I hear about these Paley events, and except for some overly-raucous fans at this one it sounds like a great time was had by all.

November 06, 2009

Great job as usual, Gretchen! Thanks so much for getting these reports for us to read about. Wish I could have been there and so jealous of you having met THE MAN, Alan Ball.

November 06, 2009

Gretchen — once again, you did an outstanding job. I always love to read your accounts of these events. I really enjoyed your comment about Season 1, Epi. 1-3 Bill’s hair. I’m tying my yellow ribbon right after this post.

November 06, 2009

I agree with you I think a we need a t-shirt with the yellow ribbon and Bill’s old hair!

November 06, 2009

Great job on the report as usual Gretchen!

November 06, 2009

Dang BBB!! You rubbin’ shoulders with the who’s who’s now!! You are really a very good writer. You take us with you on your little fan trip. BUT!! ANOTHER Space Ball reference!! Beginning to wonder about you!! oh and girl?? You are toooo friggin gorgeous!!

re: Spaceballs Ref.

She is one of the LEFTOVER BABES from the BILL PULLMAN “BILLSBABES” group !!!

ROTFLMAO !!!!

( who said I have no sense of humour ? )

November 06, 2009

Curses! You got me! And I would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for you meddling kids (that’s my allusion to Scooby Doo. hehehe). LOL.

November 06, 2009

Thanks as always to you all for your most generous and kind comments. Glad you liked the “tie a yellow ribbon” bit. TBH, I had that song ringing in my head while I was writing for some bizarre reason. My cranium is basically a jukebox containing the zaniest songs. Great. Now I have the “Doctor Who” theme stuck in my head.
    LOL @ Gymvamp for teasing me about my fascination with Space Balls. What can I say, the Schwartz is always with me.
    BTW, it was StephenlovesAnna who I met that night. I hope she realizes that I’ve not forgotten about her and that I had the funnest time exchanging thoughts about the show (over a humongous plate of steak nachos…and couple bottles of cerveza).

November 06, 2009

THANK you for another wonderful report! (Hope my comments were helpful). I adore the cute picture of Alexander and Raelle…who as you know I am in love with now.

November 06, 2009

Thanks Gretchen! You are a wonderful Billsbabe and I appreciate reading your thoughts on all the great events you go to. Lucky!

November 06, 2009

Thank you, this was fun to read. I’m on board with the S1,E1-3 hair, but in re-watching season 2 I’m also pretty hot for Bill’s hair in E1 Nothing but the Blood. Why couldn’t they have stuck with that?

November 06, 2009

Thanks BBB for sharing another great story of a True Blood adventure. You get the best gigs! A picture with Alan Ball! Your in the big leagues now!

November 07, 2009

Gretchen you ALWAYS write the most amazing articles! You missed your calling GF. You look so cute next to Alan……I’ll say again….stilts! Thank you for your wonderful representation of the Billsbabes….again. We can always count on you. Hope I get to meet you at Paley in April!

November 07, 2009

Thanks, BBB, for the great article!

November 10, 2009

Thanks so much for your report! Always a fun read.And while I cannot agree about Bill’s early hair ( I just rewatched eppy 1&2),it just looked messy/greasy to me. I do have some advice though. I went to some Star Trek conventions back in the day and I got “called on” every time cuz I would hold something in my hand to make myself stand out. The people on stage can’t see very well cuz of the lights and it makes it easier for them. One time it was a colorful umbrella(closed!) cuz it had been raining and another time it was a colorful scarf.

It works!

November 10, 2009

Ooooh! I’ll make a mental note of that! Thanks! You think a flare gun would suffice?