A visit to a True Blood film location – Longwood

A visit to a True Blood film location – Longwood

Special reporter for The Vault Lisafemmeacadienne drove up to Natchez, MS to the Longwood House to get the scoop on the filming there for True Blood. “Fangbangers” Production Company filmed at historic Longwood during the nighttime last Sunday and Monday, April 11th and 12th. It was done in secrecy, until the Natchez Democrat newspaper ran the story on Tuesday, the 13th.

Driveway to Longwood

A stand-in rode a horse up the driveway to the front entrance.

A stand-in rode a horse up the driveway to the front entrance. Many of the oak trees here are at least 150 years old.

As you may have read in the previous article on the Vault, construction began in 1860, but then the war started, so only the basement, which is actually the first floor, was completed.

The style of the octagon-shaped house is called “oriental villa,” complete with a Byzantine dome. Much of the furniture are the originals, belonging to the first lady of the house, Julia, who lived there until she died at the age of 75. The 10,000 square foot home is made from 750,000 bricks, which were made on the property. It is constructed for cross ventilation for the summer heat, with high doorways and pocket sliding doors on the balconies.

Welcome to the King of Mississippi's house. The house has 99 hand-carved Corinthian columns.

Byzantine dome on top of house.

Front entrance- the black railings were removed for filming, and plants were added.

Foyer scene filmed here; set designers added a chandelier, curtains, plants, and frosted the glass. A casting call was made for "6 vampire guards" who were involved in the filming.

Unfinished interior, "first" floor. (It's really the second level.)

Back of the house, view from the porch.

On the front lawn.

Front lawn, different view.

Pond on the grounds.

Side of house; the first floor is called the "basement", although technically, it's not underground. It is surrounded by a 5 foot-tall wall of brick, which helps to keep it cooler in the summer months.

Landmark Plaque

The tour guides, Gay and Lynn were so friendly, and made me feel very welcome there. Gay asked me many questions about True Blood, and I found myself explaining the series to the entire tour group! They told me about how nice everyone on the production crew was; one crew member would even help her (the tour guide) up and down the front stairs because the safety railings had been removed. Set designers Catherine Smith and Macie Vener transformed the house through the use of props, such as old furniture, curtains, frosted glass, and potted plants. The production company also employed locals from the Baton Rouge area to assist in the setup.

True Blood is supposed to return to the house, and the Natchez area, for filming in the future.

Lynnpd
Written by Lynnpd

Lynnpd has an avid interest in the entertainment industry from classic movies to all things True Blood. With a background in art, she enjoys creating in Photoshop, running web sites and finds the internet an exciting place to be. Lynn lives in the LA area and attends as many Hollywood related events as she can. She has covered events for the both websites in the LA area; read all about it at http://lynnpdexclusives.com.

April 17, 2010

Lisa, this is a beautiful pictorial visit of historic Longwood. Your photos are amazing. Thank you for the virtual tour … absolutely breathtaking. A wonderful, wonderful job. This is definitely a fitting home for TB’s King of Mississippi. Glad you were able to explain True Blood to your tour guides.

April 17, 2010

Great report and beautiful pictures! I can’t wait to see Longwood on True Blood!

April 17, 2010

Lisa, Wonderful place and gorgeous pictures, thanks so much!

Did you go shopping while you were there??? Even though I try not to, I cannot seem to go there without going to Antique Row and I always spend too much!

April 17, 2010

Not this trip; I had my son with me, so we went to some of the historical sights and the Visitor Center, which has a nice glass-enclosed observation deck of the Mississippi River.

For those of you thinking of visiting Natchez, it has beautiful, historical bed and breakfasts, and many historical sights, such as the National Cemetery, the Emerald Mound Indian Burial Grounds, and the beautiful Natchez Trace Parkway that you can drive along.

Natchez is a quiet, slow-paced southern Mississippi town with a population of less than 20,000.

April 17, 2010

Very cool report!! That house is beautiful and so interesting looking, I can’t wait to see it on the show and how they use it. I’ll bet some of the principal actors will be along on the next trip to film there, so hopefully we’ll hear more then.

Many thanks to Lisa for making the trip and giving us such an informative article. You’re the best, hon!

April 17, 2010

Lisa yet another terrific report. Thank you for making the trip to get the scoop for us. This house and the property are remarkable and I think a great choice for the King. I think it would appeal to Russell for a number of reasons. I can’t wait to see how set designers brought it to life.

April 17, 2010

Your reports are always great, Lisa. So informative. And the pictures? Simply fantastic! The house is gorgeous.

Awesome job. Thanks for putting it together.

April 18, 2010

Lisa, thank you for sharing this with us. What a beautiful place I can’t wait to see it on the show. I’m glad you had a good time!

April 18, 2010

The grounds and the house look absolutely gorgeous, fit for a king! I’m really looking forward to seeing it as part of True Blood next season.
    You do a fantastic job with your articles & pictures…thanks for sharing Lisa!

April 18, 2010

Lisafemmeacadienne. I love your reports and thanks for this one on Longwood. I do not foresee a coming trip to Natchez, Mississippi for myself so thank you for the images. I’m excited that the production is using the inside as well as the outside of this beautiful historic home for the King of “M” and I’m looking forward to seeing it come to life in the coming episodes.

April 18, 2010

I want to ride a horse down that driveway!!! The entire place is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pictures!