Queen Sophie-Anne Leclerq – series vs. books

Queen Sophie-Anne Leclerq – series vs. books

3asm1

Attention: Big Spoiler Warning

After reading so much about Evan Rachel Ward recently, I thought it would be interesting to dissect what we know about Queen of Louisiana, Sophie-Anne  Leclerq overall before we learn about how Alan Ball will treat her in the series, True Blood.

First off, we know little about how she will be portrayed in the series.

What we know so far about her in the SERIES

The casting call for True Blood described Queen Sophie-Anne as an almost five hundred year old vampire. She is charming, wily, ruthless and wise. With one foot in the old world and one in the new, she rules all vampires in the state of Louisiana, and engages with Kings and Queens from other states. Brilliant and far-sighted, she is a consummate diplomat, politician and adversary. Incredibly cultured, has known many of history’s most famous people personally — as well as had affairs with many of them — she is entertaining, funny, dangerous and delightful.

Wood revealed in a recent interview with The Daily News that “Sophie-Anne has a female human partner who will play a large part in the series, and that Sophie-Anne possesses one particularly interesting capability that may connect her to another main character”.She can communicate telepathically with other vampires,” Evan Rachel Wood teased. “That’s something that was in the books. I don’t know how much they’re really going to explore it on the show, but that might lead to a connection with Sookie.”

Wood told EOnline.com. “Her human partner is a girl, but I’m pretty sure she goes both ways. I think vampires are like that in general.” Wood promises that Queen Sophie-Anne’s love life will be unpredictable.

What we know about her in the BOOKS

evan-rachel-wood_lThe first time we see Sophie-Anne is not in the books, but a  short story ‘One Word Answer’, by Charlaine Harris, when Sophie-Anne comes to Sookie’s house to tell her that her cousin Hadley has died.  We then, “officially” meet her when Sookie describes Sophie-Anne in book 6 of the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries, Definitely Dead, as beautiful and pale as milk, with reddish brown hair, large and tilted brown eyes. Sophie-Anne is also portrayed as an elegant woman, around five foot two, always groomed down to the last eyelash. “Makeup, dress, hair, stockings, jewelry-the whole nine yards”.

According to Wikepedia, Sophie-Anne is portrayed in the books as an 1100 year old vampire, (although some say 500-600 years old) , who died in her early teens. She is originally from northern France (Lotharingia) and was the daughter of the wealthiest man in town. Her name then was Judith. When she was about ten or twelve, a peddler came to her village carrying what Sophie-Anne now believes to be a form of influenza. Within two weeks of his visit the town was wiped out except for her and an older boy named Clovis. Though she’s forgotten why, the boy did not like her. He raped Sophie-Anne and took her to the next town, where he offered her for money and food. They were camped out in the woods when a very hungry vampire attacked Clovis, most likely because he was bigger, and then decided that Sophie-Anne would make a good companion. His name was Alain, and they traveled together for around three years. Alain kept promising Sophie-Anne that he would bring her over – she wanted the strength – but he would do the same thing Clovis had, selling her for money. One night they came to a village where the head-man knew what Alain really was – Alain had forgotten that he killed the man’s wife while passing through. The villagers bound him with silver and left him in a hut to keep him until the priest returned from a trip. They did not tie Sophie-Anne up for they knew that she was human and that Alain had abused her. The head-man’s family wanted to take her as a slave. She sneaked into the hut and told Alain that she would free him when he changed her. After some bargaining, he agreed. She dug a hole big enough for her body in the dirt floor. They planned that Alain would drain her and bury her under that pallet that he lay on, smoothing the dirt floor as best he could. On the third night, she would rise, break his chains, and they would flee in the darkness. But the priest returned before the three days were up. By the time Sophie-Anne dug herself out, Alain was dead. The hut the villagers stored Alain in was the priest’s, and he was the one who told Sophie-Anne what had happened. She told him that she was the angel of death and that she was passing him over for being so virtuous. After a few years, she discovered an orphan, like her, roaming in the woods, like her, being forced, like her. That orphan was Andre, and they’ve been together ever since. Andre becomes Sophie-Anne’s personal bodyguard, companion, and, at a time, lover. She has also made Sigebert and Wybert (Saxon warriors) vampire and they are also Sophie-Anne’s bodyguards. She has a special ability, a gift, in which she can talk to her “children” telepathically. She says she can keep her children with her, talking to and loving each other physically. This differs from normal “maker”/”child” relationships which start out as companions or lovers but do not last long (in vampire standards). Usually, the child will leave the maker, and must only come again when he/she is called upon by the maker.

When we meet up with her in the books, Sophie-Anne is the vampire queen of Louisiana. She is New Orleans’s most famous and visible vampire and she has been brave, strategic, and busy in her career as a vampire leader. Sophie Anne sends Bill Compton back to his hometown of Bon Temps to find and seduce, if necessary, Sookie Stackhouse because Sookie’s telepathic ability might be valuable.

In the sixth book, Definitely Dead, Sookie learns that Sophie-Anne turned Sookie’s cousin, Hadley, into a vampire and had a romantic relationship with her. Unfortunately, the queen had to end their relationship due to the queen’s business commitment to Peter Threadgill, vampire king of Arkansas. They had previously agreed to marry each other. In this same book her political marriage to Peter Threadgill ends (he is killed), thus making her queen of Arkansas. In the seventh book, All Together Dead, Hurricane Katrina damaged her New Orleans headquarters as well as her entertainment estate. Also in this novel, the queen is tried in the vampire summit for her husband’s death. Jennifer Cater, Peter’s second in command, brings a lawsuit against Sophie-Anne for murdering him, but the queen is found innocent. Unfortunately, a bomb explosion in the hotel where the summit was held left her severely injured and she eventually loses her legs. Sophie-Anne is killed in the take over by the Nevada king, Felipe de Castro in the eighth book of the series, From Dead to Worse.

Source
Source
Source

Lynnpd
Written by Lynnpd

Lynnpd has an avid interest in the entertainment industry from classic movies to all things True Blood. With a background in art, she enjoys creating in Photoshop, running web sites and finds the internet an exciting place to be. Lynn lives in the LA area and attends as many Hollywood related events as she can. She has covered events for the both websites in the LA area; read all about it at http://lynnpdexclusives.com.

August 30, 2009

But these are all things that happen in the books in the series xD I do not think that this will happen ..
    Even the same Evan Rachel Wood says xD
    Alan has changed a lot, thankfully XD
    Go team bill <333

August 30, 2009

Eleonora, Thanks for commenting. This article is a listing of what we know so far about the show and what we already know about the books. There is very little that we know about how Alan Ball will treat the Sophie-Anne character. We’ll have to wait and see which, if any the book story lines or incidents, also occur in the show.

August 30, 2009

I just finished the second read of the books, so Sophie-Anne’s story is fresh in my mind. I am beyond curious to see how her story plays out on screen. Thanks for the review, Lynn. It’s good to have what we know about the queen from both sources in one specific place.

August 30, 2009

Thanks for reminding us of Sophie-Anne’s story. It’s been a while since I read the books and I didn’t remember some of this. Of course we’ll have to wait and see, but I think that ERW will do well woth this character. The description you provided really fits her to a tee.

August 30, 2009

I have seen no mention of casting for Andre. I can’t imagine SA without him but AB may give her a twist. I can’t wait to see what they have in mind for her.

August 30, 2009

Thanks, Lynn! We know so little about SA in the show right now, but I’m hoping we’ll start to learn more tonight. As underwhelmed as I was with ERW’s casting back when, I have to say I’m really looking forward to seeing what she will bring to the role. She looks to be having a devilishly good time in those promo photos (as would I when lounging by the pool with shirtless Bill Compton).

August 30, 2009

That throws me that they say Sophie-Ann is 1100 years old because by my recollection, she is less than 600 years old, in the books that is. I think they increased her age just for the show. ‘Course, I could be wrong.

August 30, 2009

You are right. I’ve recently re-read the books and she was around 600. The show is so different than the books.

August 30, 2009

As someone who hasn’t read the books, I’m curious. Does it matter that they have changed her age?? I mean, is it important??

August 30, 2009

I don’t think so. She was powerful no matter what as she had a lot of support. I think they made her older so that Bill can ask her about what to do with Maryanne. This didn’t happen in the book.

In the book Eric knew what Maryanne was. He explains that the last time he had encountered on of her kind it was during the St.Petersburg massacre and it took a lot to bring it down. He makes an offering of wine and either a bison or a bull to try to get her to go away on her own. No luck though, the offering wasn’t good enough at the time. ; )

September 01, 2009

It may be important, or may not.

According to the books a vampire’s personal power and some abilities are corollary to their age. Apparently this is a piece of lore to which the series is adhering since references have been made to vampires’ age in relation to their physical strength and the strength of their blood.

Seems like it would matter in TB in some of these same ways. I also noticed that Godric told Sookie he would burn quickly because of his age.

July 29, 2010

I just read this particular chapter not even an hour ago. Quote from Definitely Dead – ch 18 – pg 235 – “I began my life in what became Northern France, about…..one thousand, one hundred years ago.”

August 30, 2009

I’m really hoping that even with ABs changes to Sophie-Anne that we’ll still get to see Andre, Sigebert and Wybert. I really can’t see the story without them since at least A ans S were such dynamic characters. I’m excited to see how this is going to play out.

August 31, 2009

I’m torn between excitement and woe, excitement to see the next two episodes and woe to realize we’ll have to wait almost a year to find out what happens next on the series and what AB will do w/ the books.

August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009 at 19:04I really don’t care who’s team ERW is on, I don’t think her portrayal as an 1000 vampire queen was very effective. Even though she was made vampire as a teenager, I think the nuance of her performance was more that of a teenager than a queen. Jessica’s first meeting with Hoyt and Godric’s greeting by his nest upon his return from the FotS had more poise.
    Why would the queen greet her subject with a bloody mouth? ERW has the look but not the poise.
    She is playing what is called “deep game.”
    She has different scenario’s she juggling; Sookie, Bill, Eric and Hadley and who knows what else! So I hope the immature picture she painting (playing Yahtzee, lining up her potential meals)is just another one of her games.

August 31, 2009

I agree, I was underwhelmed by ERW’s acting. I generally like her and she looked great–but I could tell she was acting the whole time, and that doesn’t usually happen, especially on this show. But she’s a pro and no doubt will grow into the role, but I was not impressed last night.

August 31, 2009

You “hit the nail on the head!” When you are surrounded by a highly talented ensemble cast, you’d better bring your “A” game!
        ERW didn’t. The few lines that Hadley said to SM was a better performance.

September 01, 2009

In the books she is 500-600 yrs old, I remember something about her being linked to Louis the 14th, or from that period. She is queen not because she is old but she is so ruthless and cut throat/wiley not to mention her allies are more so, Andre and the axe wielding bros Werbert (sp), Siebert who never question her commands and are loyal to the death. AB’s SA seems all about frivolous crap, making Hadley a bimbo really irked me.

June 18, 2010

In Definitely Dead, Sophie-Anne expressly states that she is 1100 years old.

November 26, 2009

Did Sookie ever get paid for the work she did for the Queen at the Summit?

July 12, 2010

Maybe Sophie-Anne wants everyone to think she is younger than she is. Women don’t like their age to be put out there even if she is queen.