Random Thoughts True Blood Season 6.01 “Who Are You Really?”

Random Thoughts True Blood Season 6.01 “Who Are You Really?”

After 10 months of waiting for True Blood Season 6 to return I counted down the hours until I could see my favorite residents of Bon Temps.

I’m happy to say the premiere didn’t disappoint. Stephen Moyer directed a fantastic episode. It was one of the most nerve racking episodes of the series. I was on the edge of my seat!

RIP Luna
I was sad to see Luna die. I thought that she and Sam made a great couple. The first time Luna shifted into another person it almost killed her but a mother will do anything for her child. Her decision proved to be fatal. Poor Emma, first she gets kidnapped by Steve Newlin to be his pet and then she witnessed her mother’s death. She seemed to be in shock as she clung to Sam. My heart went out to her. Sam’s world was turned upside down in an instant. He not only lost the woman he loved but he now has to keep her daughter safe.

6.01ripluna

This means war
The governor has backed the vampires of Louisiana into a corner. He has set a curfew that essentially holds all vampires hostage indoors. Governor Burrell also ordered all businesses run by vampires be shut down. He all but declares war on the Vampires. The Governor then meets with the True Blood company executive in secret. He proposes joining them in a silent partnership. His claim is that he’ll give the company a bottling plant, which is owned by the state, free of charge for the sole purpose of creating non human food for vampires. I don’t believe him for a second.

6.01meanswar

Stranger Danger
Was Jason absent from school that day? Hitchhiking is always a bad idea. What was he thinking? You would think after everything Jason’s been through he’d be a little more cautious. Something happened to Jason after being blasted with a fairy ray. He hasn’t been the same ever since. Maybe that’s why he felt it was okay to spill his guts to the stranger. I knew the old man that picked him up was trouble. I just didn’t expect to be introduced to Warlow, Lilith’s progeny in the first episode. When he reveled himself to Jason I almost jumped out of my seat.

6.01warlow

Back to normal
Sookie seems to have had a revelation after staking Bill to save Eric. I was a little surprised that she would sacrifice Bill. When Sookie said she felt him die she meant it. It seems like she doesn’t consider the man she stabbed to be Bill. Once Eric has escorted Sookie home they have an intimate moment reminiscing about the day they met. He recalls her innocent days when she was just a waitress. Eric signs over the house giving it back to Sookie, his love for her still evident. Sookie’s had her fill of Vampires and drama. She tells Eric of her desire to have her life back and resends his invitation to her home.

6.01erichouse

Bill’s back?
I was a little surprised when we see Bill back at his house. I expected him to spend the season naked and covered in blood. At his home Bill seems to be calmer and more reasonable than he was at the Authority. Dare I say he appeared to be back to his old self? Although he made it clear that if he was attached again he would fight back, Bill didn’t try to harm Sookie when she staked him. Jessica decides to stay with him but I think she isn’t buying into his daddy dearest act. She’s clearly nervous around Bill and seems leery of his confused act. I have a feeling we’re about to see a whole new side of him now that he has been inhabited by the 3 naked blood soaked women.

601bill

Is it Sunday yet?

Kelly Valentine

Kelly Valentine

Kelly Valentine discovered True Blood during S4, but quickly caught up on seasons 1-3 and her favorite sups are the vampires. She works with special needs children in an elementary school in Maryland. Her passions are photography and writing.
Kelly Valentine
Written by Kelly Valentine

I miss Hoyt!!!!

June 17, 2013

I’m not sure Rutger Hauer actually introduced himself as Warlow, I think that is just who Jason decided he was – and Jason doesn’t always think straight!

Great episode, much better than last season’s opener!

June 18, 2013

Anyone else think that having Warlow introduced as picking up a hitchhiker was a shout-out to Rutger Hauer’s role in classic horror movie The Hitcher?

June 18, 2013

I’m confused on the Warlow thing.. I thought Rutger was playing Niall. Hmm So who is the guy with the Harley biker hair and stash with the fangs?

AphroditeMF – yes, I do think that is a shout out to The Hitcher.

Am I the only one that thinks the way they’re portraying the Were’s is just gross? Alcide is scrumptious and doing a great job, but the eating the pack member thing is getting old.

Bill – Wow Stephen Moyer is doing a great job portraying Billith. I literally had goose pumps when he turned and looked back into Jessica’s room. His expression held such menace.

Couldn’t Sookie have given Eric a pen with ink? I thought that was a strange touch. All I can figure is that writing in blood has more meaning. Which I guess makes sense since the fairy scroll is written in blood.

It’s a good start. I have my fingers crossed that the storyline stays tight and doesn’t spiral out.

June 18, 2013

I thought when they entered Sookie’s house, and she remarked that she did not have any Trueblood for him, why did she not just offer him her wrist? lol

June 18, 2013

Nicely done, Kelly. We lost Luna right off the bat in this episode. It was way too quick. I figured she wouldn’t survive the shift into Steve Newlin, but I thought we’d have more time with the character before she expired. Sam is now charged with Emma’s protection. Lafayette was very sweet with Emma. I wonder if he did prepare that fried sugary meal for the little one. And speaking of little ones, Andy’s brood has grown up pretty quickly. I look for them to be teens next episode.

I’m grateful that Bill cleaned up as fast as he did. He looked mighty fine in that white henley. He doesn’t know what he is now. Will Jess be able to keep him honest? I hope so. I always appreciate the Bill-Jessica scenes, and was happy to see them close again. Still, I worry for Jessica. What if something happens to Bill, and he goes all ballistic on her. Bill with 3 manifestations of Lilith entering his body does not bode well.

I don’t trust the governor either. But he needs revenue, and the vampires hopefully satisfied with Tru Blood, which will keep them from chowing down on humans. There’s only so much a curfew can do.

Jason should know better than to hitchhike. But I guess he was desperate. Is the driver really Warlow? I’m not so sure he is. Jason is still seeing his dead parents. Will they be able to afford him any protection against the menace of Warlow?

Tara gave Pam some good advice about her relationship with Eric. She really stands up to her maker, and gives as good as she gets. How badly is she injured, and what will happen to Pam and Tara now that the governor’s men have invaded Fangtasia?

The were story line did very little for me this episode. I’ll leave it at that.

Will Eric and Nora eventually involve Sookie in their plans to take down Bill? Eric is determined to leave her out of it. His returning her home to her written in blood no less … interesting, and quite a moving touch. And Sookie rescinded his invitation to her home. Wise move on Sookie’s part. It was all done very matter of factly and calmly.

A great first episode, and well directed by Stephen Moyer.

June 18, 2013

I so agree with you Luna’s death was rushed and Stephein his directors clip said they filmed something more regarding Luna’s death but it didn’t make the final.

June 18, 2013

I loved the premiere too!

My favorite part was when Bill was talking to everyone on the porch and he made the earth quake.

I wonder what Bill will turn out to be. I kinda think Lillith has been looking for a host body so she can return and kill Warlow. Once she does, she’ll release her hold on Bill and he may die the true death. Or not.

June 18, 2013

I loved the first episode! I epsecially loved how Eric and Sookie had a lot of screentime together. I don’t think their goodbye is a final one.

June 18, 2013

The recap was very nicely done, Kelly.
    I loved the episode. I especially loved seeing Bill back to almost-Bill. Stephen did an outstanding job in directing this episode. Kudos, Steve!

June 18, 2013

Excellent RT Kelly. I thought this episode was a fangtastic start to S6 and Stephen along with the writers and entire cast and crew can take credit for the powerful start of this new season.
    I loved the new and improved Bill Compton with his new powers eventhough Sookie is not convinced it’s him, hmm should I be worried but the moments with Jessica were beautiful and I want that Bill back.
    The Sookie Eric exchange was done with taste and class and for a moment I almost felt sorry for E (remember I’m a Bill fan, LOL) but the one to watch will be Nora, I think she’s going to be trouble.
    The whole episode was humorous, exciting, fast paced, action packed and leaving you with the big mystery: Who is Warlow? BTW Rutger was great as was the Gov.
    My only quibble was Luna’s quick send off to the shifter continuum, way to short – remember how long it took Tommy to die – FOREVER, well die fast Luna TB needs to show the weres unorthodox “snacking and mating” habits. (I know additional footage was filmed but didn’t make the final cut).
    Ready for more, more, more…waiting for Sunday!

June 18, 2013

KillJoy here – Why does every one ignore the fact that vampires killed 248 people in one week in Louisiana? That is a lot. It is an epidemic. That is a horrifying number, and every vamp on the show has murdered at least one person.
    Jessica murdered someone and somehow it just ends up kind of cute and awkward. Of course the Gov. had to do what he did. You fans forgive way too much and rationalize way to much. The Gov. isn’t prejudiced – he’s right!
    To change the subject, I think Bill was not acting like his old self – I think he was distinctly feminine, even before the other lady vamps ran into him.