Stephen Moyer performs Hard Hearted Hannah on True Blood

Stephen Moyer performs Hard Hearted Hannah on True Blood

Bill Compton and his maker Lorena during a scene of flashback to the 1920’s in Chicago.

Last night’s episode of True Blood was entitled Hard Hearted Hannah, a direct reference to Bill’s maker Lorena.  We first saw Lorena, in Season 1,  Episode 5 when Bill was returning home from the Civil War and had sought food and refuge at her cabin, but instead was turned into a vampire.

During this episode, in a flashback to Chicago in 1926, we see Bill singing Hard Hearted Hannah while he accompanies himself on the piano. It was indeed the actor, who portrays Bill, Stephen Moyer, playing the piano and singing the song in a lovely tenor voice. In his younger years, Stephen sang in several on stage musical productions including Pete Townsend’s The Iron Man.  In the scene, just before we travel back to the 1920’s , the first pianist you see  is True Blood’s composer, Nathan Barr.

Here are the lyrics to Hard Hearted Hannah:

In old Savannah, I said Savannah,
The weather there is nice and warm!
The climate’s of a Southern brand,
But here’s what I don’t understand:
They got a gal there, a pretty gal there,
Who’s colder than an Arctic storm,
She’s got a heart just like a stone,
Even the ice men leave her alone!

They call her Hard Hearted Hannah,
The vamp of Savannah,
The meanest gal in town;
Leather is tough, but Hannah’s heart is tougher,
She’s a gal who loves to see men suffer!
To tease ’em, and thrill ’em, to torture and kill ’em,
Is her delight, they say,
I saw her at the seashore with a great big can,
There was Hannah pouring water on a drownding man!
She’s Hard Hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah, GA!

They call her Hard Hearted Hannah,
The vamp of Savannah,
The meanest gal in town;
Talk of your cold, refrigeratin’ mama,
Brother, she’s a polar bear’s pajama!
To tease ’em, and thrill ’em, to torture and kill ’em,
Is her delight, they say,
An evening spent with Hannah sittin’ on your knees,
Is like drivin’ through Alaska in your BVDs.
She’s just Hard Hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah, GA!

Lynnpd
Written by Lynnpd

Lynnpd has an avid interest in the entertainment industry from classic movies to all things True Blood. With a background in art, she enjoys creating in Photoshop, running web sites and finds the internet an exciting place to be. Lynn lives in the LA area and attends as many Hollywood related events as she can. She has covered events for the both websites in the LA area; read all about it at http://lynnpdexclusives.com.

July 28, 2009

Stephen did a wonderful job with that song. I’ve heard it many times, and his version was lovely. I wonder if there’s any chance HBO will make it available on Itunes? I’d love to hear the whole thing.

July 28, 2009

he did us proud. i was kind of apprehensive of a true blood bill musical moment, but he pulled it off with finesse. stephen’s got mad skills. sexy skills, acting skills, dog loving skills, and now we have the evidence of musical skills. this chic digs it.

July 28, 2009

You can tell he’s had musical training, the tone, the phrasing, were all professional, not the typical “actor who sings.” The tessitura of that song is quite high, so unlike his baritonal “Sookie” Bill voice. I sang opera (soprano) professionally for 20 years so these kinds of things really interest me. Was he actually accompanying himself or was the piano looped?

July 28, 2009

I think I heard him say in an interview that he played the piano. He did a great job with this song. OMG how perfect can one man be? Hope he and Anna have a lovely vacation in England.

July 28, 2009

Thanks, that’s impressive. It order to play smoothly while singing is really hard unless your skills are advanced.

July 28, 2009

Can Stephen be anymore Perfect, wow fantastic!! Thank you Lynn for also posting the lyrics, they fit Lorena to a “T”

July 28, 2009

I enjoyed seeing yet another facet to this jewel of a man. I noted as he sang he emphasized the the line:
    “She’s a gal who loves to see men suffer”! Ain’t that the truth? A song tailor man for Lorena.

July 28, 2009

*sigh* At first watch I thought…nah that’s not him really singing, but then I read it really was him, and after I re-watched I was like holy $%*& no way! This man truly has it all. Can any one find a flaw, really?

July 28, 2009

His breath probably smells good in the morning too.

Loved the singing.
    Loved the gore.
    Can’t wait to see what else is in store.

~Walt Whitman

perfect quote.

July 28, 2009

Well done, Stephen. That was truly a treat!!!

July 28, 2009

Maybe he ‘ll be cast for a musical on Broadway in the future. I would go every night! Sing to me Stephen!

July 28, 2009

Oh my if he was in a musical on Broadway that would be so perfect because I live in NY, and I would totally go every night….well in my dreams, but I’d go a few times. :D

July 28, 2009

That would be such a treat to go see him in a play on Broadway!

July 28, 2009

I also thought Lorena looked good as a 20s vamp (in both ways of the term). I guess you could say that in this scene Bill literally sang for his supper. :) I hope they put his voice to more good use.

July 28, 2009

Is there no end to this man’s talent? He has a beautiful voice….just goes along with the rest of him!

July 28, 2009

There seems to be no limit to this man’s talent. Great voice, great piano playing, great acting, great looking, sigh! Hope he and Anna have a great vacation in England.

July 28, 2009

There is a vid on youtube with him in a high school show. He played piano. Sorry I don’t have the link. :}

What’s the title please?

July 28, 2009

Found something from Mesa HS, w/ a different SM.

July 28, 2009

The man has some mad skeelz. I am eternally chuffed at the sight of him. **le sigh…le purrrrrrr**

July 28, 2009

Stephen’s version of Hard Hearted Hannah better be on the next True Blood sound track! Could they be so cruel as to leave it off?

July 28, 2009

I loved, loved, loved to hear and watch Bill singing! And didn’t think the blood bath was so horrible (maybe I was too prepared to watch that, I knew what was coming). It was disturbing, but hot.

And I would love to have this song in my iPod :-)

July 30, 2009

He has a great singing voice. Anna sure didn’t lie about that. I can even hear that it’s him. And sometimes he sings with a little bit of an English accent. I like it :-)

July 30, 2009

Does any one know the song that plays at the end of the clip, from 2:50??

August 10, 2009

I DON’T KNOW WHY THE VIDEO FROM TRUE BLOOD – HARD HEARTED HANNAH WAS REMOVED THAT EPISODE WHEN STEPHEN MOYER / BILL COMPTON WAS IN WAS THE BEST SPECIALLY WHEN BILL COMPTON & LORENA WAS IN 1926 IN CHICAGO I LOVE IT WHEN THEY BOTH SHOWED THEIR DARKER VAMPIRE SIDE I WISH I COULD OF BEEN THERE IN 1926 THOSE TIMES LOOK ANTIQUE COOL.