The Vault Exclusive: True Blood’s Kristin Bauer actress and artist

The Vault Exclusive: True Blood’s Kristin Bauer actress and artist

Written by The Vault’s reporter Gretchen (A.k.a. BittenByBill)

Once you get to know Kristin Bauer, it’s hard to imagine she portrays a vicious, vampire bar-owning, human child-hating, and blood sucking termagant in True Blood. I can’t even imagine her doing odd things that some celebrities are caught doing: like pouncing on talk-show hosts’ couches, selling baby photos to tabloids or doing ‘ridamndiculous’ poses for the paparazzi. Oh no, that is simply not Kristin nor will it ever be.

This stunning and statuesque Racine native from Wisconsin is not only a talented actress; she’s a concerned animal activist, a blushing new bride and an extremely gifted artist. I had the great fortune and pleasure of meeting Kristin at her Art show at Anthony’s Framing & Gallery in San Marino CA last September 26. Dressed in a lovely floral printed mini-dress, I found her inside the gallery giving her avid guests a tour of her exquisite work. I also started walking around and saw that she is quite adept in capturing the pure essence of her subjects. Her paintings somehow find a way to ensnare your attention by finding deeper meaning in simple yet beautiful objects. She is somewhat of a symbolic realist.

To me her magnum opus is her “Mother and Child” painting it’s a clear depiction of love and undeniable tenderness between parent and offspring. She even shares with me that it reminds her of Sting’s thought provoking song about the Cold War, “…Russians love their children too”.

Mother and Child

Mother and Child

As with all my encounters with the True Blood actors, I found myself with looming worries and nervousness but that quickly subsided when I sat down with Kristin and the love of her life, Abri Van Straten (lead singer and guitarist for the band, “The Lemmings”. His solo recording is set to be released later this year as well as the band’s next cd).

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me Kristin. I know you are extremely busy. I would also like to take the opportunity to congratulate you and Abri on your recent nuptials. I especially adore your love story…

KB: [looks at Abri] “Ah yes, you’ve heard of the stalker story.” [laughs]

On her website Kristin tells the story of how she met Abri. She discovered his music by sitting accidentally on his CD in her nutritionist’s waiting room. She bought the CD on Itunes and fell in love with his voice. After several emails to Abri’s manager she managed to set up a date, a second date followed a few days later and they haven’t been apart since. Kristin jokes how she hunted down a man, chained him to her radiator until the Stockholm effect started kicking in.

Did you end up chaining him to your radiator?

AVS: [chuckles and gives Kristin a tight squeeze] “It was hard for me the first month…” [Kristin laughs].

Congratulations too on your art show. It’s such a pleasure to finally see your work. They are all so amazing. You are like the female version of Viggo Mortensen

KB: “That is such a great compliment. I love his work and I think he’s amazing.”

Jessica Watkins, Gretchen Leonardia, Kristin Bauer and Abri Van Straten

Jessica Watkins, Gretchen Leonardia, Kristin Bauer and Abri Van Straten

When did your passion for painting start?

KB: ” Painting was kind of forced on me because I would always draw. I think I was around twelve when I started drawing. My sister went to fine arts school and she was older and I just idolized her. So anything she did, wore, ate, listened to I wanted to do. I thought I drew pretty well and I really did work on it a lot. The first drawing was enough to keep me going and it’s a fun thing to do. And so I went to art school but I would always draw. I didn’t paint at all but 10 years ago at one of the schools I attended, one of the guys suggested I should try a painting class next. At first I was hesitant; I really wasn’t into it at all. I could see it was messy and I just said, “No”. And finally he convinced me and that was it. I immediately started painting after that…it’s everything I loved about drawing and more and I haven’t drawn ever since.”

Where do you do your work? Do you own a studio?

KB: ” I have it in my house. There is a storage space at the back of my garage that is separate from the house and so I turned it into a studio. That is also Abri’s studio so he’ll play classical guitar and I’ll be there painting. It’s really lovely and it’s close to the yard and the dogs have fun running in and out.”

Where do you get your inspiration for you art?

KB: “There are a few things. One is that sometimes I just need to unwind and sort of recuperate and do something because acting is this huge group production. And you try to, you know, get as much of yourself into the role as much as you can and bring that character to life. But then again, somebody wrote it, someone dressed you, someone built the set and someone did your hair and make-up and it’s just this enormous collaboration. You just see the actor but you can’t believe how many people have worked to bring Pam end up in your living room…but painting is just ME. It’s just the polar opposite and somehow it balances the craziness of acting. Then I think, “I need to paint…but what the hell am I going to paint?” And I started doing the flower paintings because of the flowers in my yard and I just started painting the magnolia on the tree. It just starts with, “I want to paint” and then I start looking around…and I’ll paint anything. A house, a car, a tree …my flower paintings are my current passion and it just started when I found these two roses that were particularly pretty in my yard  and so I threw them on the table and painted them. It came out so well and it made me so happy that I started looking around for more flowers. So it just sort of happens and starts from needing to do it and then walking around…”

In a Perfect World

In a Perfect World

There’s a visceral approach to it…

KB. “Exactly!”

Do you have a favorite model you like to paint?

KB: ” In class you have all sorts of nude models that come and you just paint whoever comes in. It’s just a challenge to paint a person from life that you’re not even noticing the person in front of you as far as, you know, “are they inspiring me? Do I like how they look?” you’ve only got four hours to get this thing on the canvas and its fight, it’s a battle. Some days go well and some don’t. But when I was doing a couple pieces where I had to hire a model you really do start look for the connection…the feeling…When I did the painting of Mother and Child for example. I called it “Mother and Child” by the way, ‘coz I’m not very inventive with names. [laughs]”

Do you have particular medium you favor and did you ever think about venturing into sculpting?

KB: “I like oil…and I did some sculpting back in college and it’s really fun to make something three dimensional. To build something into 3d is really incredible and I certainly would love to do it in the future.”

At this point in the conversation, Abri comes swooping in to give Kristin a hug and calls her, “my little linebacker”. Kristin must have noticed the confusion in my face because she starts explaining to me:

KB: “He calls me that because I always pose a certain way [she then rests her hands on her hips]. Do I really look like a linebacker Abri?”

AVS: [grins from ear to ear]. Yes. [runs off]

Have you been to South Africa with him?

KB: “Not yet. And we’re waiting until we have about three weeks and it’s such a long flight and he’s like, “I’m not doing it” [laughs] and we’re both waiting because he’s still finishing recording and I’ll probably go back to doing True Blood. So maybe next year…I’m just dying to go though.”

I know you had your wedding at your hometown and so I’m wondering if you plan on doing the same thing when you go back to South Africa with him. You know, get married everywhere.

KB: “That’s what I want to do! I had so much fun and I had never thought I’d be the type of person who’d even dream of their wedding day and then once we got married I felt high on weddings. Just the glow that happens and everyone was nice to us, took care of us, and my family was in love with the entire thing so I said, “let’s go to South Africa and get married again!”.”

Thank you so much Kristin for sharing your time with me and I look forward to seeing you in True Blood and I can’t wait to see more of your art pieces in the future.

KB: “Thank you so much and I appreciate you coming all this way to see me.”

Kristin Bauer... Vampire Vixen

Kristin Bauer... Vampire Vixen...

And to show our love for our favorite vampire shrew, I brought with me a gift, courtesy of The Vault and the Stephen Moyer Webring.

She was tickled pink to see her custom made t-shirt and showed it off to Abri and her friends.

The Vampire Vixen t-shirt was made specially for Kristin, but it is now available in the Billsbabe’s Shoppe.

... and Honorary Billsbabe... I doubt that Pam will like that...

... and Honorary Billsbabe... I doubt that Pam will like that...

I remember her telling one of her colleagues, “Can you believe I’m already married?” and her friend just replied, “What I CAN believe is why he married YOU”. Hell yeah that’s true. She is the perfect package and she’s right, there is no reason why you can’t fall in love with her.

Kristin Bauer also works on commission, check out her website for more info.

© The Vault – TrueBlood-Online.com
Reproduction is not allowed without a source link back to www.TrueBlood-Online.com

Tagged
Shadaliza
Written by Shadaliza

Shadaliza loves the Internet, film and TV shows, writing, running websites and charity fundraising; she has found the perfect combo in the fansites to express her creativity and passion. Shadaliza is Dutch, but has lived in Italy for many years and works as Marketing Executive for an Internet hosting company.

October 04, 2009

What a great interview! Gretchen/BBB does it again.

Great job, Gretchen!
    We love you too, Kristen.

October 04, 2009

Gretchen you’ve done it again! GF you are getting very good at this. Kristin appears and sounds to be such a grounded, wonderful person. Her work is just stunning…..so lifelike. I’m always amazed when I see people with this kind of talent. To view the world with such beauty must be amazing. Great interview.

October 04, 2009

Thanks so much guys. Kristin and Abri make a beautiful couple. Oh l’amour **le sigh** <3

October 04, 2009

Well done, Gretchen. Terrific interview. Kristin is a talented and gifted artist. I love her as Pam, and am delighted to discover this other side to her. Her work is exquisite. And last but by no means least, she and Abri make a lovely couple.

October 04, 2009

This is a wonderful interview. BBB you are awesome. Pam and Abri make a striking couple. She has some beautiful artwork. Not only is she a wonderful actor but a talented painter as well. Thank you for letting us get to know Kristin. It was a pleasure.

October 04, 2009

Such a great interview!!!
    thanks BBB and Kristin :)
    We love you Kristin!!!!!

October 04, 2009

Loved this interview with Kristin ( isn’t she gorgeous? ) She seems so easy going and open. She apparently has a great sense of humour as well! I have seen some of her artwork and it is fantastic! I would like to own a piece myself and will. The “Mother and Child” piece is lovely – she really captured it’s beauty. I loved to hear how she and Abri met – it like a fairytale! Seems like love at first sight – how could he not, she is simply gorgeous inside and out. I wish them 100 years of happiness.

Great Interview BBB and thank you for going! Your description of the event and happenings made me seem like I was actually there. Thank You for bringing this interview to us so that we may peek into the outer-lives of the Cast of True Blood.

I hope we see more of “PAM” in Season 3 – she is such a hoot! And hopefully we will see more of her backstory and love interest.

October 04, 2009

Wonderful interview Gretchen! You’re really gettin’ good at this! Kristin sounds like such an interesting person to talk with and I think she’d make a great carousing buddy too. Her art work is just amazing. Let’s see here: she’s gorgeous, has a fantastic figure, wonderful sense of humor, she’s a newlywed, she’s an extremely talented artist and she gets to be on True Blood, as one of the most popular characters on that show. How lucky can one gal be?????

I’m so proud of you Gretchen! You did us Billsbabes proud.

October 04, 2009

Gretchen- nobody does an interview like you do! Wonderful (I like how you threw in a little Viggo mention too, you’re a hoot!)! When I first looked at ‘In a Perfect World,’ I thought it was simply a photo, but then found it was a painting- wow. Kristin is obviously a very talented artist in her acting and in her artwork. Thank you for interviewing her BBB, and thank you Kristin, for allowing her to interview you. Loved it!

October 04, 2009

I’m so glad you noticed that. LOL. Thanks Kell **grin** Well, he’s a gifted artist and so is she…they’re both gorgeous and great at what they do. Some people are just so blessed…

October 04, 2009

Saw that too, Gretchen. How nice that you able to meet her in the gallery. Interview her and view her artwork. So once again, a member of the cast is wonderful and talented….True Blood is chocked full of that sort! You are certainly are doing a good job being The Vault’s woman on the beat. Loved the interview!

October 04, 2009

Another great interview BBB. Kristin is so talented. I too thought the roses were a photograph at first. Much happiness to her and Abri. We saw so little of Pam in S2. Hope there is much more in S3.

October 04, 2009

BBB many interviewers could take a lesson from you. Great job and you look amazing as always. Kristen is delightful and we adore her and Pam. I hope see more of Pam in S3. We did not get near enough of her in last season. It’s hard to believe she has only been painting for 10 years. I’m very particular about what I hang on my walls and I’d love to own one of her pieces. I wish Kristen and Abri a lifetime of happiness.

October 04, 2009

Thanks Gretchen. Kristin’s work is so amazing.

October 04, 2009

Wonderful! Love a woman who goes that extra mile to get her man. Wonderful interview Gretchen! Thanks for posting it Shad.

October 05, 2009

Wonderful interview BBB! :-) Well Done!
    Kristen is such a doll and so amazingly talented.
    Her love story is such a sweet one!
    Thank you!

October 05, 2009

What a great interview, BBB! Kristen is a ridiculously talented woman. I love Pam!

October 05, 2009

Kristin really is such a warm-hearted and talented actress. Thanks for giving us yet another chance to get to know more about her.

October 05, 2009

Kristin definitely is a multi-faceted artist. She sure is a female version of Viggo! What an insightful interview. Well done again BBB..

October 05, 2009

Beautiful job all around–Kristen seems so nice and down to earth. And so multi-talented. Thanks for the illuminating interview, Gretchen.

October 05, 2009

Thank you again Gretchen for another great interview. It seems that Kristen has it all-great looks, nice personality, talented actress and artist, and a great looking husband! Thank you Kristin for sharing your work with us. Hope we see more of Pam in season three.

October 05, 2009

I love her role in True Blood and her artwork is fantastic.

October 05, 2009

Kristen Bauer is radiant! Her art work is beyond beautiful. She is multi-talented and married to an amazing man. Abri van Straten with the band “The Lemmings” seems to be just as down to earth and “real” as what Kristen is. I actually sent them an e-mail saying congratulations on the wedding and I got an e-mail back from Abri thanking me….. now how cool is that. BTW, The Lemmings music is great…. take a listen!

October 05, 2009

As soon as I get my credit card working again I am going to buy Abri’s CD on Itunes, I love that music.

October 05, 2009

Shad: I don’t know how expensive ITunes is to download but I think I got the latest Lemmings CD on Amazon.com for… maybe $7.99 American. I have that entire MP3 CD…. and it is ALL very, very good. If I knew I could get it to you via e-mail I would try….. course I guess that would be illegal or copyright or something. ;-)

October 05, 2009

Well, call my a liar! I just went into Amazon.com and cannot find “Imperceptible Shift in the Light” which is the CD I downloaded. Has 11 songs on the album. WalMart has it on-line for .94 each song. But I could swear I bought it from Amazon.com (because they allow you to download the entire CD/Album for less) and I think it was $6.00 or $7.00 for all 11 songs.

October 05, 2009

I want to buy it, I am not going to cheat a hard working musician out of a few dollars. When I get my new credit card I will get it online in one place or the other.

July 29, 2010

absolutely love Kristen Bauer!!! Love her art too!!! Plus yay for marrying a South African!!!! Very proud!!! :D Hope you are both are extremely happy!!!!